Author Topic: Now have a DL650  (Read 659 times)

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Now have a DL650
« on: June 04, 2015, 21:00:14 »
I picked up my new to me V strom today, its a K6 registered December 2007.
Rode it home 70 odd miles, was surging, and had transmission noise. When I got home I checked the chain, oh boy, if I tried hard I could get both bits past the swing arm, it was like a washing line. I have adjusted it but it is right at the end of its travel to get about 30mm play. I think this was the issue,not surging, chain snatch. I am also thinking this was the noise I was hearing.
Ordered new chain and sprockets plus chain rivit tool, and oil filter, will do all that next week.
It needs a very good clean and degrease, its smothered in grease.

I will have, very shortly, a set of panniers and fixings, GIVI, so will pop them on ebay. They are not bad, some scratches, but no cracks etc, the rails have been "modified" as there is a fixing at the rear between the tubes, very easy to get on and off.

I will update what I do to this bike, as intend to restore it to a condition 100% more than it is now.

Offline Ali p.

• Bike: DL650 XT AM1
Re: Now have a DL650
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 21:39:30 »
Enjoy your new bike. I love the sorting out of a new steed. Am waiting for a delivery date for mine. Am getting impatient now lol

Offline joderest

• Our other Strom, Daughters pony
  • Bike: DL650 K6
Re: Now have a DL650
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 22:24:49 »
Thanks, Things planned for near future are as follows
Fit new chain and front and rear sprockets
service engine, oil and filter
fit new clutch switch ( owner has by passed it as faulty)
fit new rear brake pads

After that, should be OK to use, I will then be
Re spraying wheels, going to be silver, as they are a bit nasty at the moment.
Re spray both plastic front tank panels, and black headlight surround, appears it has had a minor drop at some point, odd no damage at rear ?

I am also going to fit LED running lights, and then a switch to turn headlights off, so that they are not on in day time running. Did this on my BMW, and it really save bulbs and battery, the LED lights do not use much power and really bright. (I expect some one will come up with a reason not to do this)

I will post some pictures when I work out how.