Author Topic: First ride  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
First ride
« on: June 02, 2015, 22:27:04 »
After waiting impatiently  :angry-tappingfoot: for a week, my new 650 finally arrived today - hooray! Went out for a quick spin - it's always a bit different to the test ride being your bike and all that. Not that I'm a stranger to Stroms, having ridden several thousand miles on my 'old model' a couple of years back. But the new bike feels more sprightly and refinements like the gear indicator and  plush seat  make it seem a bit posher. I like the finish too - Suzuki seem to be upping their game a bit  and the matt grey paint scheme I opted for seems very nice indeed. The same good handling is there but the engine is smoother and the vibes virtually absent. The exhaust note is not bad at all, with the visor down, removing any engine clatter. I'm limited to 5k revs or thereabout for a while but nevertheless, progress through the gears to there is smooth and fairly rapid. Tyres will need breaking in obviously but already I can see I'm going to enjoying throwing this one into corners. Coming from a sportsbike, I was a little concerned it might not match up but I need not have worried - despite gaining 40kg over the Triumph, the V-Strom feels lightly well balanced and leans into corners remarkably well. After returning, I decided to put the screen up from the stock mid to upper position. I had a lot of problem getting my old model to cut through the wind and finally arrived at a very satisfactory arrangement using long bottom bolts to rake the screen back quite a bit. Early days with this model but on my second run tonight, despite a gusty 28 mph wind, I experienced little movement at 70 mph. This may partly due to my Shoei XR1100 which has an aggressive profile and seals the visor tight with a lock. I may well try the lowest setting one time too .....sometimes 'less can be more' surprisingly. For the moment I am getting none of the strong wind blast in the chest I experienced on the GSX1250FA I parted company with earlier this year. If the  wind drops tomorrow I will do a motorway blast. No doubt various trials will follow but I'm determined to  get the airflow right for my 6' height, using just the stock screen, which I think I like the look of more than the two piece jobbies. Slight niggle is the footpegs which seem to  get in the way of putting my foot down when coming to a standstill - perhaps I need to sit further forwards. The brakes need quite a bit of pressure to  make the bike stop quickly but are effective when they finally bite.

Well that's it for now. First impressions are...what a stonking bike  :lala:  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline NTBooth

• Bike: Benelli Trk502x
Re: First ride
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 22:53:13 »
:thumb:
The matt grey looks particularly nice!

Enjoy the rest of your rides!

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 23:00:07 »
Enjoy and what a great, accurate summary - I especially liked the bit about the footpegs.
Do keep us posted re screen solutions.
I pick mine up tomorrow (all being well!)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:10:04 »
It was worth the wait then  :thumb:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline petestrom

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 21:09:44 »
Enjoy your new Glee Sea-Strom.  I may join you with an XT before too long.   :auto-dirtbike:
Pete

Make someone's day, it'll come back to you sometime.

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 23:00:48 »
:thumb: