Author Topic: European imports - to buy, or not to buy.  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
  • Bike: Honda VFR800
European imports - to buy, or not to buy.
« on: May 31, 2015, 23:31:10 »
Hi all!

I haven't been to the Introductions page (apologies for that) yet, as I am not currently a V-Strom owner, but am trying to become one.

What I have noticed, living in the UK, is that there are essentially three types of (post-2012 model) V-Stroms for sale; brand new UK-spec bikes from Suzuki main dealers (at around £6,995), brand new European spec converted to UK spec bikes from non-Suzuki dealers (at around £5,400) and of course used bikes (which may have started life as either of the previous two types).

£7k is above my budget, but given that low mileage used bikes tend to go for £4,500, the lure of a brand new 'Euro machine' is proving very tempting. However, I am ignorant about the potential pitfalls of insuring and servicing such a (grey?) import machine.

So, could I please ask you for assistance in telling me what the pros and cons would be of purchasing one of these cheaper, new bikes ?

Here's an example of the kind of thing that I have seen ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181671961858?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks, in advance, for your input and advice  :) .

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
Re: European imports - to buy, or not to buy.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 23:51:29 »
New, official uk bikes can be had for around the 5500 mark, Suzuki have a 4yr 0%interest deal on at the mo too ;)

However there really shouldn't be any issues with an EU supplied parallel import but you never know if dealers may be awkward in the event of a claim

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:39:04 »
Quote from: "Hondaman"
New, official uk bikes can be had for around the 5500 mark ....

Really, where  :) ? Could you post a link, please?

I've seen several places advertising bikes at that price, but none of them are official Suzuki franchised dealers and on closer scrutiny it's always transpired that the bikes are imported from elsewhere in the EU and (rerto?) fitted with MPH speedos and flat beam headlamps.

I approached my local Suzuki dealer and put this question to them. They said that they didn't know precisely where these other dealers were getting their stock from, but they couldn't match their prices  :shrug: .

Anyway, thanks for your input, Hondaman  :) .

Offline frez

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 09:47:41 »
The speedo isn't changed, you can simply change from kmh to mph using the buttons on the dash. I don't think the lights are changed either, just adjusted using the headlight adjusters in the fairing behind the lights.

Phone around a few Suzuki dealers asking them what their best on the road price is, then if you are happy with that price, bearing in mind you can get the 0% deal on it, go to your local Suzuki dealer and tell them you can get it for this price and where from, they will then do a deal with you which maybe slightly more but will at least have some good will regarding servicing and warranty. You may also be able to negotiate a deal on accessories that you consider essential.

If you can't get the price you want then go for the import. I'd get it serviced at by an independent garage regardless of whether it is a UK bike or not to save money on servicing. If the worst happens and you do need a warranty repair then you will need to go to your local Suzuki dealer, but be prepared to sit at the end of a long queue of all the other work they have to do, they are certainly not going to be in any hurry to sort out something not sold by them or the UK dealer network unless you play the game of saying you are looking to change your bike, in which case they may get a move on to suggest you buy from them.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:47:43 »
Millenium at StHelens had new uk bikes for 5699 or their 300 mile demo that I took out for 5499 & 4yr 0%
Aren't the ones at Preston Superbikes uk stock? - they have a new AL4 under 5 1/2

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:59:15 »
Quote from: "frez"
The speedo isn't changed, you can simply change from kmh to mph using the buttons on the dash. I don't think the lights are changed either, just adjusted using the headlight adjusters in the fairing behind the lights.

Phone around a few Suzuki dealers asking them what their best on the road price is, then if you are happy with that price, bearing in mind you can get the 0% deal on it, go to your local Suzuki dealer and tell them you can get it for this price and where from, they will then do a deal with you which maybe slightly more but will at least have some good will regarding servicing and warranty. You may also be able to negotiate a deal on accessories that you consider essential.

If you can't get the price you want then go for the import. I'd get it serviced at by an independent garage regardless of whether it is a UK bike or not to save money on servicing. If the worst happens and you do need a warranty repair then you will need to go to your local Suzuki dealer, but be prepared to sit at the end of a long queue of all the other work they have to do, they are certainly not going to be in any hurry to sort out something not sold by them or the UK dealer network unless you play the game of saying you are looking to change your bike, in which case they may get a move on to suggest you buy from them.

Thanks Frez!

Sorry, you're right, the speedo is probably just a menu setting - I did read in a listing somewhere recently that these bikes came with "MPH speedos and flat beam headlights" and just repeated it without thinking about it  :shy: .

I did talk to my Suzuki dealer (P&H Motorcycles, in Crawley) a month ago about price matching, but all they could do was offer me a top of the range 'XT' with all of the extras on for £7,495 - way above my (£5,500) budget. Best price on the standard V-Strom was still nearly £7k  :shrug: .

Regarding the warranty, I wasn't sure if these parallel imports come with a general Suzuki warranty, or if it's a warranty that's only honoured by the dealer that it came from.

I called East Midlands Superbikes about the V-Stroms that they're doing for £5,400, but the bloke I spoke to didn't seem to know much or want to tell me much, so I decided not to bother with them.

Anyway, thanks for your advice - especially about the non-dealer servicing  :thumb: .

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 10:05:30 »
Millenium at StHelens had new uk bikes for 5699 or their 300 mile demo that I took out for 5499 & 4yr 0%
Aren't the ones at Preston Superbikes uk stock? - they have a new AL4 under 5 1/2

Ah, OK, thanks Hondaman  :) . They're both a long way from me (in Kent), but I can see if they do delivery I suppose.

I also see that Millenium publish the full RRP, but with the text, "ENQUIRE FOR BEST DEAL" - that sounds promising  :grin: .

Offline frez

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:23:56 »
You will usually find if you are in the showroom and they know you are definitely going to buy they will go a long way towards meeting what another dealer will offer. They won't want you walking out of the showroom to buy it somewhere else if they can make a profit however small. They will of course throw in some crap about you having a free loan bike when you bring it to them for servicing or warranty, but as long as you are buying a UK bike and haven't wasted their time in test riding one of theirs then there shouldn't be any bad feelings if they can't meet the price and you bring your bike in some time later for a warranty repair.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 11:55:34 »
Quote from: "Snapper"
New, official uk bikes can be had for around the 5500 mark ....

Really, where  :) ? Could you post a link, please?

I've seen several places advertising bikes at that price, but none of them are official Suzuki franchised dealers and on closer scrutiny it's always transpired that the bikes are imported from elsewhere in the EU and (rerto?) fitted with MPH speedos and flat beam headlamps.

I approached my local Suzuki dealer and put this question to them. They said that they didn't know precisely where these other dealers were getting their stock from, but they couldn't match their prices  :shrug: .

Anyway, thanks for your input, Hondaman  :) .
I have just spoken to sales at Preston, unused pre reg 15 plate bikes are £5699, 64 plate demo with a couple of hundred miles are £5499. It sounds like there will not be any movement in price.
All are official uk bikes with 4yrs 0% finance - by my reckoning that's worth about £800 in mortgage interest. I've never considered a new bike before but these are looking tempting!

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 17:28:13 »
That's mighty kind of you, Hondaman, thank you  :) !

Yes, £5,699 for a new bike is a deal that I would be interested in - with or without the finance deal.

Oh, if you are tempted, please don't buy the white one - that's the one I want  :grin: !

... Just got to sell my BMW now (groan).

Offline gourockguy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 23:24:04 »
Snapper, Have you considered a UK model using PCP finance?

I did that a few weeks back to get a dealer special for £6.5k.

Old Deauville was my deposit and PCP means low monthly payments. Okay there is a final payment in three years, but you can either pay it, trade in and start again or hand the bike back and walk away.

Not for everyone but works for me.

Offline nightrider

• Bike: Suzuki dl1000
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 17:11:28 »
I phoned up a dealer in Peterborough and they said they get the bikes from Holland and get a good deal, due to a favourable exchange rate. They also say they offer their own warranty if you have the bike serviced with them every 4000 miles or 6 months if that comes earlier. I :shrug:  expect to do 4000 miles a year and take the bike off the road in the winter.
Ride your bike until it hurts,then err...Ride it a bit more.

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 18:42:32 »
Quote from: "gourockguy"
Snapper, Have you considered a UK model using PCP finance?

I did that a few weeks back to get a dealer special for £6.5k.

Old Deauville was my deposit and PCP means low monthly payments. Okay there is a final payment in three years, but you can either pay it, trade in and start again or hand the bike back and walk away.

Not for everyone but works for me.

Actually, my local Suzuki dealer made me the same offer, £6.5k on free 4-year finance.

In the end though, I simply decided that I didn't want to pay that much money for a motorbike (which is only being used as a hobby), so I went with the second best option and bought a used one from a bike trader. It's a 2012 model, has just 1,200 miles on the clock, looks almost as if it's never been ridden outdoors (very, very clean and tidy), has all of the essential extras on it that I wanted (engine guard, hand guards, centre stand & top box mount), comes with a limited warranty and cost £4.6k. It's also £150 a year cheaper to insure than a new one due to its lower value.

So, with a bit of luck, I will have a virtually 'new' V-Strom and won't be so short of money that I can't afford to put petrol in it and go places  :) .

I'm not picking it up for a few weeks yet, as I have another bike to sell first to make room for it, but the deposit's paid. Hope I'm doing the right thing  :shrug: .

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 19:14:54 »
I too couldn't bring myself to buy new even at 5.5k & 4yrs interest free so also picked up a spotless 63 plater with under 800 miles & extras :)

Offline Snapper

• Ex-V Strom owner
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 21:56:28 »
I too couldn't bring myself to buy new even at 5.5k & 4yrs interest free so also picked up a spotless 63 plater with under 800 miles & extras :)

Excellent! That's the way to go alright  :grin: .

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 11:25:25 »
I am looking to trade  in my 2008 650 for a 1000 newer one. Great post but one thing that has not been mention is if insuranc is higher for a grey import? Anyone know?

Offline nightrider

• Bike: Suzuki dl1000
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 19:51:15 »
East Midland Superbikes are selling the Glee at £5500 and the DL1000 at £7500,which is about the maximum I am prepared to spend on a bike. If I go for the 650 it would give me more money to spend on accessories. This will be my first bike for about ten years. Is the 650 up to touring in the company of my Brothers GS 1200?
Ride your bike until it hurts,then err...Ride it a bit more.

Online Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 19:58:01 »
Err, Yes! (Touring that is.)

:grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 19:58:10 »
The question really should be "is your Brothers GS1200 up to touring with a DL650".
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Hondaman

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 20:43:09 »
Quote from: "nightrider"
East Midland Superbikes are selling the Glee at £5500 and the DL1000 at £7500,which is about the maximum I am prepared to spend on a bike. If I go for the 650 it would give me more money to spend on accessories. This will be my first bike for about ten years. Is the 650 up to touring in the company of my Brothers GS 1200?
Yes.

Now, if the East Midlands bikes are parallel imports they probably won't have the 4yr 0% interest deal so worth checking - anyone with an average mortgage interest rate that's worth about £7-800 interest alone plus any extras you get at time of purchase can be put on the 0% too, official uk bikes too.