Author Topic: new exhaust, bad running  (Read 1191 times)

Offline boatmad

new exhaust, bad running
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:01:11 »
Hi blokes
When I collected my KLV it had what looked like a new exhaust system on it from SG Engineering. It had not been fitted well so I refitted it correctly. Seems a nice exhaust but I find the slow speed running to be terrible with flat spots and spitting back. The plug colour is also very white so it looks like a very weak mixture. I have checked the web site for the makers and they say it should not need a remap unless the baffles are removed, they are still in place. I am tempted to find some original exhausts to try to see if it corrects the mixture. I have checked the points that others have posted here regarding miss fires and all seems OK. Anybody used these exhausts before or have any advice before I go looking for some standard cans. No FI faults showing.
Regards All.
Boatmad.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: new exhaust, bad running
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 07:33:10 »
Have not come across these exhausts but would be surprised if they are responsible for your problems. Would suggest getting the bike properly and fully serviced, make sure the throttle bodies are properly connected to their inlet rubbers and that the whole system is working properly including the secondary throttle butterflies which are controlled by the ECU and driven by a servo motor. Also check what kind of air filter it has fitted I.e. a standard one or a K&N or similar which can alter the fuelling as well. The Vees have a reputation for lumpy low end running but this is very variable form bike to bike and some owners get their bikes injection sorted either by fitting a Power Commander or getting it tweaked using a Yoshimura plug in box that some Suzuki dealers still have. Interestingly my Vee was improved by fitting a pair of cans (race ones with small Db reducers just to keep Mr Plod happy) and a Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE). Hope this helps.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 17:27:03 »
I bet hookie is right (again!) and its not the exhaust. Most likely culprit is TBody boots popping off from backpressure. You can check them, and even lockwire them in place.

eg  viewtopic.php?f=58&t=22269&p=212045&hilit=throttle+bodies#p212045

Use the forum search function, its very handy! :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline boatmad

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 22:16:27 »
Today, took the bike to John Warrington Motorcycles at Malton and had it set up on the dyno. Found a problem that the KLV is fitted with a Kawasaki ecu, a bit suprising as the bike is basically a V Strom.
Anyway it seems this ecu is set up with a weaker mixture than the Suzuki one. This probably explains why S&P Engineering list the after market cans as suitable for the Strom, but don't mention the KLV.
A full set up job by John and the fitting of extra modules solved the fuelling problem and the bike now runs clean and powerful from any revs in any gear. John did a great job and advised of various cost options during the work. A really skilled bloke who understands fuel injection systems, not cheap but this kind of work never is, and for the time it took and the work he put in well worth it.

Offline klver

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 17:36:38 »
So iam running a stock klv1000 , 04 , , and it totally refuses to run right with any type of after market cans , , I've heard of dobeck and power commander 3 both being good ,, question is ,  easy to plumb in ? Or put back the standards and stop moaning

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 20:48:33 »
I have MTC cans on my DL1000 and they run poorly until I fitted a PC3, it was used and had a map on it from a bike with the same cans, cured the problem :-)

Offline boatmad

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 19:01:52 »
The KLV is fitted with a Kawasaki ecu which seems to have weaker fuelling, this causes missfires and hesitation on accelerating. This is even on the standard bike and seems to have been noted even the bikes where new.
Mine was fitted with a "Rapid" module and properly set up, runs fine now, but note as V twin of 1000cc it does not run as smooth as the 650 stroms do due to the extra piston weight etc, but is livable with.