Author Topic: AFAM Chain and Sprockets  (Read 2760 times)

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
AFAM Chain and Sprockets
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:52:14 »
I am looking to replace my chain and sprockets in the next two weeks. I called up the local garage (small Yammie dealer - the only convenient ones who aren't monkeys) I usually use to get a quote.  They are recommending AFAM X-ring chain and sprockets and swear by it.

to be honest I only hear about DID chains and JT sprockets mostly. While the garage is happy putting on a DID chain, they are not too happy about JT sprockets. Of course they are happy to fit parts bought by me.

Anyone here used this make and is it any good?

Ta

Kris

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: AFAM Chain and Sprockets
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 11:35:32 »
JT sprockets are one of the largest manufacturers in the world. I've been using their stuff for years on lots of different bikes and never had any problems. I'd be interested to know why they don't like them. Is the AFAM rear an alloy or steel one. Most would say that steel is better for normal road bikes as it should be longer lasting. Alloy often used on competition bikes to save weight. DID "X" or "O" ring chains are generally regarded as best. Both usually have the same strength ratings but "X" ring has better internal grease sealing so should last longer, but does cost a bit more.

Offline krisv

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:21:56 »
I don't know why they don't like JT sprockets. I shall find out. Just checked AFAM and JT sites. Both use steel. JT uses better grade for rear. AFAM uses better grade for front. But irrespective of materials, can't really find out about process control and manufacturing tolerances on run out etc.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:47:07 »
Maybe the recommend Afam because they sell it, maybe they don't like JT because they don't sell it!

For me, DID X ring chain, genuine front sprocket, whatever steel rear sprocket, although this is by no means the cheapest way to do things.

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:54:10 »
If you are concerned, buy what you like and pay them to fit it, that's what I used to do, buy a DID chain JT sprockets and then have my local independent fit them for me whilst it was being serviced. It's going to cost you between 30 minutes and an hours labour depending if they have any issues whilst removing the old one.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline krisv

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 18:56:25 »
that's what I plan to do frez. I just want to get the best available stuff.

They don't stock any chains or sprockets. They would have to order whatever I fancy. Unless otherwise I specify, the garage always gets in OE parts. Will have to get from a distribtor (Bike Torque Racing) nearby. I probably will scoot over to BTR tomorrow after work and compare Afam and DID (as if I can't tell the f****** difference  :crazy:)