Author Topic: Fuel problem  (Read 659 times)

Offline Mick_P

Fuel problem
« on: April 05, 2015, 13:22:57 »
My k2 vee has a fuel consumption problem and I'm out of ideas.

Specifically:
Poor fuel consumption, typically about 85 miles to a full tank
It occasionally 'spits back' as though it had carbs when opening throttle, mainly on setting off
Moderate smell of petrol
No/little power under 3000 rpm

Is it something I can have a go at fixing myself (as a recent split meant a move with the attendant cost means I can't afford to take it anywhere) or do I have to think about selling the bike and getting something else?

Thanks,
Mick
Blue AN400, Connie III
Proud Yorkshire/Welshman
Don't follow me, I'm usually lost.....
Caution, ABBA fan!

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Fuel problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 19:44:37 »
Most Vee owners would say that around 140 miles per tankful is around the norm, so something is amiss. If you can smell petrol, try and find out where the smell is coming from I.e. leaking under the tank or from the exhausts. If under the tank this would indicate a leak, so you'd need to take the tank off and check all the fuel pipes and joints for leaks including the underside of the tank where the pump fits. If the smell is coming from the exhausts this would be unburnt fuel. When was the bike last serviced and air filter, plugs changed, valve shims checked and all the throttle bodies and butterflies checked for correct operation and balance, there are two for each cylinder? Are both exhausts getting equally hot? If your bike has catalysts in the silencers (it should have) they have been known to block and if one is getting much hotter than the other this may point to this. Are there any error indications on the dash? I'm not sure what is likely to be seen on the early Vees.

Offline Esmerelda

Re: Fuel problem
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 20:53:09 »
Switch it into dealer mode and check the TPS setting.  Lift off the tank check the air filter and while you are in the air box make sure the secondary throttle butterflies have not seized,  examine all hoses, fuel and vacuum  for leaks. :auto-dirtbike:

Happy Hunting

Esme
The older I get, the faster I was!