Author Topic: DL1000 Connectors above/behind radiator  (Read 11095 times)

Offline higgers1

DL1000 Connectors above/behind radiator
« on: January 30, 2015, 17:54:29 »
Hi everybody. Unfortunately, my first post doesn't make very good reading!
I have a problem with my new DL1000 (New Dec 2014) whenever I go out on the bike in the rain, or wash it the turn indicators start to malfunction then give up completely. Also when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the engine sometimes cuts and won't restart again till I whip the clutch in and use the starter. Both of these problems are absent when in dry conditions. When I took the bike in for its first service I told the dealer about the issues when wet and I was told that another one of their customers was having the same problem with his DL1000 but they had fitted a new indicator relay and that had seemed to work, so they put a new relay on during the service.
it was raining when I rode home from the service and sure enough the indicators stopped working! I booked the bike in for them to strip it down and investigate further but because of commitments I had, I couldn't get it back to the dealer for a week. When I rang the dealer to confirm the booking he told me that the other bloke had rung to say that his relay 'fix' hadn't worked and that there was another 2014 DL1000 that had shown similar symptons when wet and that when they had stripped it they found that two of the electrical connector blocks at the front of the bike (just above/behind the radiator) had water in them and that the worst of the three bikes was so bad that the terminals inside the blocks had corroded & broken and all the wires going into those blocks had welded together!
the bikes need a new wiring harness and because two of us have keyed alike luggage we will need new locks!
The dealer has been told by Suzuki to fill the new blocks with grease and spray with water repellent as a work-around. I'm obviously not very happy because I ride all year round and it can only be a matter of time before it happens again. Given that I am aware of three bikes at my local dealer, I was wondering if there are any other DL1000's out there with the same issues so that Suzuki might find a proper solution

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: DL1000 Connectors above/behind radiator
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 18:01:33 »
Suzuki need to wake up to using waterproof connectors everywhere instead in a few select places. It's not rocket surgery...

Hi, by the way! :)
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 18:01:46 »
Hi Higgers.

I read something similar recently, so have a search around.

Also, I moved your post from Introductions to the DL1000 section. So please go back to INTRODUCTIONS to say hello properly and then we can leave the technical stuff in the appropriate sections.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 18:43:23 »
I had the same problem, Frasers spotted the corrosion when they did some work on my bike a couple of weeks ago. All the connecters collected there under the tank were affected. That bikes can be sold with this dreadful lack of corrosion protection is scandelous in my view!

ACF50 EVERYWHERE the moment you collect the bike wouldn't do any harm.....

Tim

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 19:00:15 »
Quote from: "higgers1"
...I was wondering if there are any other DL1000's out there with the same issues so that Suzuki might find a proper solution
Not had that problem, but I know exactly the connector you mean. On my bike it sits just poking out over the top of the radiator on the near side, cables facing the direction of travel (so all the road and weather crap will spray up into, effectively, the back of the connector. Stupid design. An extra couple of minutes on the drawing board and 6" more cable and the problem wouldn't exist.

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 20:05:05 »
Sorry about this, but....

take it back, hand over the keys and tell them, sort it once and for all or money back please.

That sort of schoolboy error should not affect a multi£££k new motorbike.

How dealers can expect customers to traipse to and from their dealerships with faulty bikes is beyond me.

I'd personally reject the bike as not fit for purpose - you can't trust it to work properly - and unless they sort it pdq send me a cheque.

Probably not the 'correct' answer but shoddy manufacture pis**s me off.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 20:17:42 »
The Wee has the same problem, here's a pic of mine when it had 7000 miles on the clock.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 20:22:13 »
Quote from: "Locky"
The Wee has the same problem, here's a pic of mine when it had 7000 miles on the clock.

Nice to know the Veek has the same great build quality as the old bikes  :thumb:

Did you take your bike back and tell the dealer to sort it out?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 20:30:35 »
No my bike was used, I checked the connectors a few days after I got it and sorted it out myself. It was less than 2 years old though.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 21:25:49 »
Maybe I'll check my Glee's when I'm off next week?

That just shows poor build quality all round.

Offline Simmo24

• Bike: 2020 KTM 790 Adventure
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 17:06:26 »
Gave mine a wash the other day, then checked these connectors. Yep, they were soaking wet so got them all dried out and sprayed liberally with Acf50, will repeat every few weeks or so.  :thumb:
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.
Always try just one more time. -Thomas Edison

Offline listermint

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 18:34:56 »
Shouldn't have to do it every few weeks if you put electrical silicone spray liberally on the contacts

Offline Simmo24

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 19:31:59 »
From ACF50 website :-

Exposed engine and gearbox cases, swinging arms, forks and other exposed parts will benefit from
ACF-50’s thin film technology by not corroding, will stay looking good and will clean up easily
after a salt laden ride. It is also excellent on black plastic trim without leaving the residue of silicon.
It will protect electrical joints, plugs and components and prevent corrosion causing high resistance
joints. This goes for PCB’s and electronics as well, such as computerised ignition and fuel control
units and their multi pin plugs, while switches, controls and levers will all be lubricated as well as
protected from corrosion. Multi pin plugs and connectors benefit from having ACF-50 applied directly to the contacts.
Under the tank and hidden areas it will last up to a year.

So maybe not every few weeks then. I'll just keep an eye on things.

Offline Coach

• Life is for living, crack on!
  • Bike: KTM1190R, KTM Freeride 350, Indian 1200 FTR Carbon
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 22:38:10 »
I have the very 1st version of the DL1000 and,,,, at appx 60,000miles I experienced `flasher' problems. The M/C is so reliable, it was annoying to find it was just corrosion at the points (connectors) behind the radiator ( as in your `headline'). Having fixed everything from the 1st mile in 2002, this was a matter of fitting a new block. Pain in the arse, but the bike now has 103K on it and is my wet weather hack. Still the most reliable bike in my 350K experience...BUT, to hear it happening from such an early stage is concerning (2014 models).
           Having tried and tested the new strom last week, it is better in all areas, but, not more than 10% from my 2002 model. Would I buy one now, Yes I would, but not after already owning one and testing a KTM 1190 in comparison. No contest, the grin factor was immediate when leaving the throttle open in sports mode above 6k rpm. Braking, suspension and HP power differences made the decision easier to put the deposit down on a `Kost To Much' KTM 1190R.
          The new strom will be a better bike than the original 2002 launched version, but, knowing this position behind the radiator was a `water' collection point.....WHY HAVE THEY NOT DEALT WITH IT?

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 08:09:09 »
I've also had issues with these connectors. I was having problems switching off the bike, turned key off and removed it but ignition was still live and bike running. Even when it looked like it was off the battery was getting drained. Took it back to my dealer who bypassed the faulty connector to keep me on the road. They then took it up with Suzuki and I'm now waiting to get a new wiring loom and lock set fitted. Dealer has promised me that the new connectors will be properly waterproofed.

I've a pal that's just picked up the desert model and he's put a rubber seal above the radiator to keep the water out of this area.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:52:34 »
If you have a chance to take a photo of your pal's solution, or if he had some photos that you can post here, it'd help many members of this forum.
I personally don't have an issue with this connector, as I live in the area without real winter, snow and salt, and almost without rain. We have 300 sunny days a year, so 99,9% of my riding is in nice dry weather. My bike has been ridden only twice in rain, for not more the 15 minutes. It's parked in my garage and I have 6.000 km's on the clock.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Simmo24

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 12:53:33 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"
If you have a chance to take a photo of your pal's solution, or if he had some photos that you can post here, it'd help many members of this forum.

+1 on that please.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 14:02:13 »
Take the connectors apart, get some ACF-50 on the contacts and put them back together. Then install headlight relays to drop the current the connectors are carrying.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 22:37:25 »
Quote from: "Simmo24"
Quote from: "bosnjo"

+1 on that please.

The solution my pal has is an off cut from a rubber pipe seal. It's red rubber and all he could find at the time.  :-x  I think we can do better though. I'm planning a mk2 version cut out of some black roofing EPDM. I'll get some photos taken and post them up. :)

Offline bigmadstu

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 21:26:30 »
Had a bit go at making my own "flap" to keep crud / water out of the area above the radiator.

Cardboard template made.

Transferred across into EPDM.

Test fitting, looking OK.

Still some holes to make so I can cable tie it to the upper radiator supports. Think I'll make another as I've not cut this particularly straight. Should do the job though.