Author Topic: Too Good To Be True??  (Read 4990 times)

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
Re: Too Good To Be True??
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 10:51:20 »
p.s. Jabmotorsport - love the sig! :) - makes me chuckle every time I read it.

:thumb:
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 11:14:44 »
Yes, the mileage is no problem, and in reality isn't really high but examples can be had with half the mileage on. And that's the point, lower mileage bikes are readily available for similar money.

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 18:12:42 »
http://www.gumtree.com/p/Suzuki-motorbi ... 1085800394

2012 White Glee+ABS @ £3500 just serviced...

Offline Jacko

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 18:40:54 »
35,000 miles is a lot for a two year old bike, it's certainly used.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to see but I wouldn't buy one with that amount of miles on.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 18:46:41 »
And it's on the Dodgy Gumtree site so I personally would steer clear.
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Jacko

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2014, 19:50:49 »
I sold a tent on Gumtree once, £600, no trouble.

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2014, 22:21:18 »
Quote from: "Pedro41"
http://www.gumtree.com/p/Suzuki-motorbikes/Suzuki-dl-v-strom-650cc/1085800394

2012 White Glee+ABS @ £3500 just serviced...

Strangely enough, I went and looked at this one today - took it out for a little spin, and bought it... for £3250.

Yes, I am now the proud owner of a white 62 plate glee.

(OMG I bought a Glee!) :lala:

The bloke seemed kosher - the book was full of genuine dealer service stamps, and there were receipts for the last two services. So, he's either the best conman I've ever met, or he is what he says he is.

I've just ridden it back from Essex (about 109 miles) without a squeak, fart or wobble - my god she pulls! even into 3 figures there was no let up. :auto-dirtbike: the only thing stopping me was me.

I know the mileage is high, but frankly, I'm not that bothered - and she's gorgeous! (at least as far as an ugly lump of machined metal & plastic can be)

The Downside... she's pretty much a bare bike.  

I'm going to have to get a sump guard, crash bars, mud guard extender, new screen (buffeting is a bit much above 75), mirrors, pannier rack, top box and panniers - but what the Hello.. I wanted a bike NOW! (before I forget how to handle a 650) and it's the best price I could find for a 2012 model.

I was finally convinced by the ABS arguments - as my panic response to trouble is to grip tight (totally the wrong thing to do, I know but it's an ingrained response from cycling) and I haven't broken myself of it completely yet  - I'm sure it's going to be this winter when I'm still learning the bike that I am most likely to eff things up completely and need the extra safety net of ABS.

There was (is) a silver 2007 model on fleabay, with all the kit, ABS and less miles for £2795 ONO (so - 2500 if you haggle) - local too - but there was something about the new model which drew me in, so off I went.

The rest, as they say is history.

Soooooo, anybody know where I can get some decent bits for very little dosh (I'm pretty much cleaned now.... :) )
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline Jacko

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 00:32:23 »
Congrats, its a great buy if you don't mind the mileage, and to be honest I wouldn't get rid of mine purely because it got to 35,000 miles.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 00:47:19 »
My 2p worth...

No one in their right mind is going to buy a Wee for courier work in London, it's too wide to get through rush hour traffic in the morning without great care (I've ridden in that traffic, it's no fun at all.)

In the last 5+ years of riding there were 2 occasions in about 90k+ miles that I'm sure ABS would have helped me. The first time someone pulled out in front of me in a junction, I'd just serviced the brakes on the little 125 and they were good, the front locked, I fractured my elbow, it still hurts occasionally. If the front didn't lock I'd have made it round the back of her.

The 2nd time I high sided and got slammed into the ground very hard after the rear locked up, entirely my fault, but I tried to correct it and it locked up a second time and came around on me. In hindsight, if I just let go of the rear and concentrated on stopping hard on the front only then I'd probably be fine, but ABS would've avoided the situation altogether (well, as much as paying more attention would have avoid it too.) I had a very sore shoulder, body and concussion and had to replace an expensive helmet. I also spent a lot of time unlearning the habit of using the rear brake in an emergency stop.

Even so I wouldn't rule out a good bike at the right price if it didn't have ABS, but I do like the idea of ABS, particularly after I tested it on a Glee, I like how unobtrusive it was when it engaged. ABS systems on newer bikes are much better than the older systems that made many a rider hate ABS on bikes.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Jacko

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 07:44:47 »
ABS has saved me hitting the rear of the vehicle in front when  it stopped fairly rapidly for a reason I couldn't see, my fault, it was a large van I was too close to.

Other times it's chimed in have scared the crap out of me as the forward momentum continues even though I'm trying to feed in more braking power, sometimes I think it's too conservative.
Overall though I'm happy it's there, it did take me over a year to get used to it though.

Also, if I was going to buy a 2 year old bike with 35,000 miles on you'd be hard pushed to do better than a Vstrom.

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 17:57:44 »
Pleased you like the new bike Ambergnat.

Is this the highest mileage Glee we know of out there?

Sounds like someone has spent a lot of cash on the dealer servicing over its 35k.

Probably as much as you paid for the bike - 10 services at £325 plus tyres, brakes and chains.

Depreciation will have leveled off now - I would try and get it up to 100K if keeping it.

I saw 97K on my old GS450 before I sold it....

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 20:19:05 »
You're right Pedro - there's a book full of dealer stamps and he paid £350/400 each on the last two services

Quote from: "Pedro41"
I would try and get it up to 100K if keeping it

That's the plan anyway - As far as I'm concerned she's a keeper. :grin:  

Anyone else got a Glee with more than 36000 on the clock?
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 20:43:15 »
I think Snowstorm had more on hers??  :shrug:

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 15:56:32 »
Don't ask her about it though, you know how sensitive women can be  :)
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline SausagesDad

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 18:25:07 »
Not in her left arm she's not.

(Sorry snow x)