Author Topic: Too Good To Be True??  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
Too Good To Be True??
« on: October 23, 2014, 20:32:27 »
Having just passed my DAS I've been looking for a reasonably priced Wee.

I'm not too fussed about age, but it needs to be in good nick, (and the right colour :) ) so I've been trawling as many sites as I can find and discovered this:

http://www.motorcyclesupermarket.com/used-motorcycles/2011-(11)-Suzuki-DL-650-V-Strom--in-Croydon-6301596

Wise Buyers quotes the dealer price on a 60 plate Wee as £3550 - so £2999 seems like a steal...

I called them this afternoon and the price is legit, So I'm going over there Tomorrow or Saturday (loaded with plastic) for a good long look.

I've read the buyers guide sticky on this site, but this is a dealership - with Guarantees... so I'm just wondering - where's the catch? (as you can tell I trust dealers about as far as I can throw up)

Any Ideas?
It's not paranoia, it's just reality on a finer scale... Strange Days - 1995

To catch a bus - first you must think like a bus  -  Dave - Last year

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Too Good To Be True??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 20:54:54 »
The scratches up the side are a downer, and for me the fact that it doesn't have ABS. Not a problem as such, it's just something I like to have. Other than that it is a tidy example. Fill Your boots! :)
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 20:57:56 »
+1 on what TallPaul says. It's badly damaged and you could buy better on here.

Petrol Tank is empty too.
 :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Ambergnat

• Bike: DL650A L2 Very Grubby (now ageing) Pearl White 2017 BMW S1000XR SE in Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 21:09:32 »
Doh ! - of course - ABS... knew there was something I'd missed.

Would it cost silly money to have it fitted?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 21:19:37 »
not possible

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ambergnat

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 21:52:35 »
Bugger! well that's pissed in the champagne...

OK... next silly question,

How much of a difference does ABS make to the braking on a Wee (anyone tried both non and ABS versions ?)

I've heard that ABS on bikes has a limited effect (less so than cars anyway) or is this bull?

Noob status and about 6 hours on a  '12 Gladius has given me a healthy respect for V-twins, and the step up from 10 to 60 horses does make me a bit nervous...

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 22:10:05 »
ABS saved me twice during last 12 months. Both time surprised by unexpected obstacle (once car cutting me in and once the dog). On both times I did emergency braking on both front and rear brakes and both times ABS actuated. Without it, I'd be skidding and on the floor.
Few years ago, on the bike without ABS I had similar situation, car cutting my path. I performed emergency braking, but knowing I had no ABS it had to be performed with caution. I didn't skid but I did hit the door of the offending car, without going down. Remembering that day, I know I could have used my brakes a bit more but I was afraid of skidding.
I'm now on the 2nd bike with ABS and I can brake as much as I want, especially on wet road, without thinking about skidding. Just charge fully on both brakes and the bike will do the rest.
I will never own the bike without ABS again, and I owned 6 of them without it.
But, let the video speak in favour of it:
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 22:15:12 »
Impressive video bosnjo! I think I will buy Rochdale Hornet some of those stabilisers!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 22:15:25 »
Some great bikes come up on here for sale, got my K5 Wee and my LO Wee both in the for sale sect. I might even be selling mine soon, just need to think about it a bit longer :)

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 22:23:04 »
Quote from: "tallpaul"
I think I will buy Rochdale Hornet some of those stabilisers!

lol  lol

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 22:34:59 »
urm... yes and know.

I'm a believer in the "a good rider is smarter than the machine" concept, but everyone has a moment when their not concentrating 100% and has to react quickly.

You will not be able to have the same circumstances for an accident twice. so it's hard to quantify if ABS would have stopped an experienced rider quicker than his own reactions and feel for the bike.

I've had a bike with C-ABS (Honda idea) where the ABS controls both front and rear brake like on any other ABS  bikes, but pressing the rear brake also controlled the middle of the 3 pistons on the LHS front caliper.
A very weird set up, that took some getting used to, but in the end a system that gave you confidence it would work. But would I choose a bike with ABS over and Non-ABS bike if the option was there... yeah sure, providing the price is right.

I've Locked the front many a time, it's all about reacting correctly. For many a locked wheel increases the panic in their mind and makes them grab the lever more- resulting in an off. If you reduce pressure on the lever the wheel will once again rotate. Only Time I have ever come off due to locking a wheel is in mud, offroad. It's all about feel and being relaxed.

ABS is a good system to have, but none of my current bikes have it, nor would I go out there and spend money to fit the system if the option was available.
For new riders it's a safety net that is drilled into you that the ABS will save you if you just grab the lever and press as hard as you can. Not the case on a Non-ABS bike.
When I did my training on a CBF500 with ABS the instructor told us to go into the yard and doing about 30mph stamp on the back brake and grab the front as hard as we could... Never locked a wheel- the ABS kicked in and stopped up. I did need a change on underwear. :shy:
Would It have stopped me in a real emergency is anyone's guess.

Most bike down occasions are attributable to: too much speed, lack of awareness, target fixation then running off the road, getting hit by someone else- SMIDSY or overtaking and hitting something coming the other way. ABS would not help in any of these cases.

Ride defensively, and regard everyone on the road as an idiot and presume they are going to try and kill you.
Take on board the fact the 17 year old playing with their phone, listening to loud music and shouting at the passengers in the car and trying to show off will sustain zero injuries when they pull out of a side road into you and killing you. And as they didn't get hurt won't give a s***.

My main concern is "what the feck the moron in the KA is doing", not weather my bike has ABS. Not putting yourself in positions of increased risk and being more observant than those around you will help keep you out of trouble, ABS can only help you when you're already in it.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ambergnat

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 23:27:42 »
Thank you all very much for your input - some very sensible and coherent responses there - very much appreciated :).

The Youtube video was interesting, but like some of the comments said - the non abs rider was braking like a twat - very effective in showing just how damn trouser filling it can be trying to brake hard in the wet, but not a really effective demonstration of the superiority of ABS (though I'm sure it is) and given the very salient points raised by Mr Muffdiver re defensive riding etc I'm a bit less inclined to think of its absence as a deal breaker.

I've done over 10,000 miles on a 125, in all manner of shitty weather and although she rarely gets beyond 60/65 mph it's still fast enough to kill me if I ride like a twat - so I don't (often :) ).

Think I'm going to buy me a Wee...   and see if I can't get some of those stabilizers too :D

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:32:17 »
I like having the back-up of the ABS to help me out if I, or someone else, puts me in the position of having to brake as hard as possible.

I reckon that on balance if I didn't commute on the bike then not having ABS would be less of an issue, as by definition, commuting is done when the roads tend to be busier with less experienced and less attentive drivers / riders.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 07:03:43 »
I find the ABS is something nice to fall back up.. but NOT to rely on. We should always strive to be better riders but no one is perfect.. I'm far from it so its nice to know that if shit is Going to hit the fan there is a system in place to work with the panic.

Some riders don't like feel of ABS. The lever and pedal pulse as the system tries to stop the wheels locking. A strange and unatural feeling where instinct tells you to let go. But in fact you need to keep both applied to get the benefits .. then just steer :)

This next bit probably won't be the best advice.. however if I was worried about it and bought a bike without ABS (nothing wrong with that!) Then find a carpark and lock everything up a few times .. youd soon learn how to react :)
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 07:17:40 »
The bike is probably a bit dear given the lightish damage and the mileage, not to mention being a London based bike, this would put me off far more than no abs, but I'm odd when it comes to buying bikes. I think all London bikes have been abused, maybe couriered, short journeys, sat in traffic with loads of stop/starting wearing the clutch, bumped and knocked, etc.

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 10:56:14 »
Good shout jacko
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline Ambergnat

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 22:44:30 »
Mmmm - good point Batman, I hadn't considered the courier angle - would they ditch a bike after only 19,000 miles though?  

...and would I be able to tell if the clutch had been abused?

p.s. Jabmotorsport - love the sig! :) - makes me chuckle every time I read it.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 22:49:28 »
Don't let mileage put you off if the price is right, these engines just keep going if it's had regular oil changes. 19000 miles is nothing for them.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 07:45:45 »
My 61 reg Glee is a week off it being three years old, and has 16 500 miles. One trip to Croatia = 3 500 miles, south of France =2 500 miles plus normal days out got the bike to 12 000 miles after 2 years, mileage has reduced as it's now doing a maximum of 170 miles a week doing an easy A road commute when there's no salt on the roads.

So the mileage on that wee isn't excessive, unless you were trying to part ex it at a dealers  :GRR:  but has it had an easy life?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 08:50:23 »
Mine will be going over the 50k mark this weekend and I have no concerns about it, I'm sure it'll do he same again.