Author Topic: If not asked before....  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
If not asked before....
« on: September 28, 2014, 20:31:15 »
With any manufacturer of motorcycles, engines etc. are there any any things to be aware on a DL650 2011> ?

I rode a Yamaha Diversion until just recently which had certain characteristics such as clutch rattle, vibes at 4k, a certain death wire under the seat (sometimes) and mild steel exhaust collectors which rotted.

So, what of this V engine, tyres, vibrations, handling, chain wear etc. ?

All those things they say "that's normal, sir" to.......... :shrug:

(I've had all positives so far but I do expect some negatives.)

Joe Rocket.  :)))
So how's it going so far then?

Offline greywolf

Re: If not asked before....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 20:39:36 »
There has been a tendency for the rear axle nut to gall on the axle. Taking the nut off and putting a little anti seize compound on the threads then torquing to 80Nm to account for the lubrication effect works fine every time. Some bikes have had the stators burn out. It's a good idea to run a voltmeter on the bike to be able to see how the charging system is doing. Some of us are experimenting with series type rectifier/regulators that keep the stators cooler than the stock shunt types do. Suzuki changed to a series R/R on the new Veek.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 20:43:24 »
What Suzuki call accessory bars, and which everyone else calls crash bars can cause a noticeable vubration around the 4700 rpm mark. Some hate it, others notice it, but have more important things to worry about. I've read that there are later bars which aren't as bad.

Fitting a 16T front sprocket corrects the over-reading speedo making it almost fully accurate.

Eastern beaver make may electrical accessories, which do make life a lot easier to connect accessories, and also a headlight relay set to stop switches failing. His website is here:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Spec ... strom.html

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 20:47:54 »
The stock mirrors and tyres aren't great.

I believe the Engine Bars vibration mentioned above is more of a problem on the 2012 onwards, so you might not get that on the 2011 (Though I may be wrong).

There's a lot more "right" than there is "wrong" on the old Wee model.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 20:56:29 »
OP has ordered a new red DL650 according to his profile and so I'd guess it's a Glee, not a wee.

Fully agree that the changing of the mirrors for the Aprilla Tuono is better and cheaper than getting mirror extenders.

To the OP, don't ask about screens, if yours works for you, enjoy, if not, buy the Givi Airflow  :thumb:

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 20:59:33 »
You're correct ONJ, looking closer it says 2011>, which I guess means after 2011. So your post on Engine Bars is spot on.

And I wasn't :shy:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 21:14:51 »
Sorry blokes, you're too quick for me.

It's a 2014 model, sorry for the apparent confusion there Martin W.

Tyres I know about, might see if they'll put Anakees just for the simple difference in cost.

What of engine from SV times and up to now on the Strom?

Thanks

joe rocket.  :)))

Offline greywolf

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 21:38:18 »
It's hard to hurt the engine if you follow scheduled maintenance. There are a number of Wees with basically the same engine with over 100,000 miles, including my '07 that had 77,000 miles when I sold it. It is well into six figures now.

I forgot to mention the stock headlight wiring. It's a good idea to add headlight relays to take the load off the stock wiring.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Timmo

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 23:07:16 »
Some talk on wiring harness chaffing under left side panel,fixed by a bit of inner tube I think? But the more experienced can give you more info.

Offline Retraite

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:24:49 »
Do the wiring check Brian, I found a couple of potential problem areas. Protect the loom with split clear-plastic tubing.

I also pulled every connection I could find and ACF-50 'd them. (the grease)

Sprayed ACF-50 everywhere too.

Don't panic on the Trailwings - they are NOT the original, so called death-wings. They work fine, wet or dry provided you don't ride like a dick. I changed mine at 10,500 kilometres only because I had a trip planned that would have finished the rear. Fitted Anakee 3's - great, so far.

Pull the rear axle adjusters and grease the threads, they are fitted 'bone-dry' by the factory.

Fit a radiator guard - the radiator is vulnerable from the granite chippings so loved in France.

Fit a big-foot on the side-stand - stock is useless on soft ground.

I played with the stock screen to find the best position, but ended up with a Givi Airflow which is just brilliant. I have mine mounted in the 'top' holes and the outer screen 1" up from its lowest position.Bear in mind I'm 6'1" so your wind blast experience will be different.

I find the 'stock' seat to be quite comfortable, easily as comfortable as the expensive 'Sargeant' seat I had on the GS and I'm sure Susan will like the wide, sensible-height rear seat.

That'll do for now  :)

Stick some photos on 'Tourdregs' when you get it.  :thumb:
"Autocorrect is my greatest enema."

Offline tomcat

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:17:06 »
Quote from: "Joe Rocket"
With any manufacturer of motorcycles, engines etc. are there any any things to be aware on a DL650 2011> ?

I rode a Yamaha Diversion until just recently which had certain characteristics such as clutch rattle, vibes at 4k, a certain death wire under the seat (sometimes) and mild steel exhaust collectors which rotted.

So, what of this V engine, tyres, vibrations, handling, chain wear etc. ?

All those things they say "that's normal, sir" to.......... :shrug:

(I've had all positives so far but I do expect some negatives.)

Pilgrim?

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:39 »
Quote from: "Joe Rocket"
Tyres I know about, might see if they'll put Anakees just for the simple difference in cost.

The Anakee 3's work really well on the Glee, despite being about 25% heavier than the original tyre  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 18:40:55 »
Knowing they're not the 'deathwings' I'll keep the standards like Retraite until a change is due.

There's plenty of info there, thanks to you all. I'll note it all down.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 19:15:44 »
Quote from: "Retraite"
I played with the stock screen to find the best position, but ended up with a Givi Airflow which is just brilliant. I have mine mounted in the 'top' holes and the outer screen 1" up from its lowest position.Bear in mind I'm 6'1" so your wind blast experience will be different.

I find the 'stock' seat to be quite comfortable, easily as comfortable as the expensive 'Sargeant' seat I had on the GS and I'm sure Susan will like the wide, sensible-height rear seat.

I'll see what the wind blast will be like for me. I'm a lot shorter than you and I've had a naked bike for the last eight years.

I put the blame on you for all this, letting Susan sit on your V-Strom back in August. (Not at all sorry for that either!  :lala: )

joe Rocket.  :)))