Author Topic: Braided Brake Lines  (Read 688 times)

Offline PHIL FAT

Braided Brake Lines
« on: September 27, 2014, 17:20:06 »
I am thinking of getting braided brake lines on the front end to improve the brakes a little has anyone had this done and did it make much of a differance to the brakes and is it worth getting the rear one done ? thanks in advance
Too Old To Die Young

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Braided Brake Lines
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 21:33:14 »
It's usually worth doing when the bike is a few years old. I replaced the fronts on mine a couple of years ago and there was a worth while improvement. It might also be a good idea to check the rest of the braking system at the same time I.e. the pistons are free and not seized in calipers, the calipers sliders are also free and the pads are OK and in spec. I personally would't bother with a braided hose on the rear unless the existing hose is showing signs of failure such as cracking or leaking.

Offline Babel

• Bike: DL650X K9
Re: Braided Brake Lines
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 10:25:10 »
I've done this recently and if I'm honest I didn't notice a marked improvement, but then I didn't have a particular issue with my brakes in the first place. My reason for fitting braided hoses was primarily due to the fact that my front calipers & pistons were in need of some TLC, and while I was stripping everything down I decided to replace the hoses as well (the service manual calls for new hoses after 4 years, and my bike had just hit 4 years old).

Some threads that may be of interest, if you haven't seen them already:

Options for new front brakes hoses

Braided brake lines