Author Topic: TPS adjustment on an old Wee  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
TPS adjustment on an old Wee
« on: September 14, 2014, 12:21:11 »
After putting the bike back together I expected to need some time to get the TPS set just right again. I've adjusted it a few times, it still doesn't feel "just right". At low speed, in 1st there is a bit of a surge/abrupt drop in RPM once the throttle gets opened or closed past a specific point. As usual, I warm the bike up, check that the idle is set at 1300rpm, turn the engine off, have it in dealer mode and adjust the TPS to show in the middle. These are the instructions from the service manual, they're not complicated. I've tried to adjust it so that it just moves over to the middle from the bottom and also tried it so it just moves over to the middle from the top.

I've just been playing with it to see if I can get it any better. If you move the TPS while the bike is running the revs change. If you move it so it's all the way with the marker at the top, it's sputters, goes to idle very low and will soon die. It sounds terrible, as if it's idling on one cylinder almost. If you rev it a bit it sounds bad, like the timing it far out. If you move it all the way to the other side so the marker is at bottom then the bike seems fine, it idles well, revs decently and doesn't appear to have any real issues. This is the reason I try to get it adjusted so that it's just just moving over to the middle from the low position. If, while the bike is running, you move it away from the lowest extreme position, there is a slight pick up in idle RPM until a specific point after which is idles like a dog all over again, even before the indicator moves.

When you start the bike the position of the line on the display changes from what you've adjusted it to the lower position, the bike idles at 1300rpm as set. The bike seems to idle fairly well, perhaps a tiny bit of hunting, talking 100rpm each way at the most. If I then open the throttle slowly, pausing every couple hundres RPM the line moves from the bottom position to the middle position at around 2300 to 2400 rpm, also with a tiny bit of hunting. I didn't try to make it go from middle to top as I don't think that's as important and the neighbours might already be getting annoyed with me today.

After all that, here are the questions:
- does anyone know if it's right for the indicator to go from the middle position to the lower position once the bike is started?
- assuming it is, does anyone know where it should be changing to the middle position if you open the throttle slowly while the bike is running?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline greywolf

Re: TPS adjustment on an old Wee
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 17:00:12 »
The rpms need to be held steady for a half second before the true position is displayed. If you keep moving the throttle, even slowly, there will be a half second lag before the dash moves. The Wee seems to like the dash to move up at about 2500 rpm give or take a hundred or two. The dash should fall from top to center at near the same rpm it rises. Again, be aware of the lag. The dash should never fall to the bottom.

If you can't get consistent results, even with awareness of the lag, replace the TPS. They do wear out.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: TPS adjustment on an old Wee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 18:58:24 »
I went reading up about this some more after posting earlier on. Found that it'll be better to set it just down to the middle from the top indicator. I took the TPS sensor off, reset the idle to 1300, put the TPS back on. It took me a while to get it set nicely, but it now idles well and has the indicator in the middle at idle. It goes up at about 2900-3100 RPM. I've taken it for a ride to go fuel up and it feels good, the abrupt surge/drop isn't there any more. I'm never touching it again :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog