Author Topic: It just stopped.  (Read 6459 times)

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
Re: It just stopped.
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:52 »
Why wouldn't Suzuki foot the bill Matt? I thought you said the bike was under warranty!

Offline Timmo

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2014, 09:29:29 »
if you are having to pay anything I would on picking the Bike up ask to see the loom and take it away would be interesting to see their response and  excuses. You really should not be paying for this.

Offline suzukiboy

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2014, 14:19:18 »
Has to be covered under warranty surely? Do Suzuki not have a duty to manufacture a product that is able to serve its purpose beyond the warranty period anyway, if it is proved the failure of the loom was unreasonable given the age and mileage of the motorcycle would a claim not be supported by law?
Got me worried now!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2014, 22:39:50 »
Quote from: "Matt-EUC"
They're doing it under warranty, I don't intend to pay for anything. Except maybe a beer for the blokes who fixed it.

If you were told it was being done under warranty don't pay anything!!!  It's up to the Dealer to sort it out with Suzuki, not you. If it wasn't covered by warranty you may have decided to go elsewhere?  Makes me wonder if there's some attempt to get paid twice for the work due to the time it's taken them to diagnose the fault?

Offline Matt-EUC

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2014, 23:18:09 »
They only charged me an hour's labour after spending 12 trying to fix it.

Apparently because it was due to corrosion, it was somehow my fault or not covered by warranty.

But now, it's booked in again because the full beam just turns the lights off!!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Timmo

« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2014, 23:38:30 »
Take an iPad with you and show them how many people are looking at your problem on the forum. Then ask them what they would like you to tell us all about their service to you. Especially charging you and then not doing the Fking job right. Take your most sarcastic mate with you and let them do it, you are not doing them any favours by not telling them. Someone somewhere will show them this and their response will be. If you would have told us you where unhappy we would have done something about it but by complaining to others you did not give us a fair chance to rectify this. Ask for your money back! MAY THE FORUM BE WITH YOU......

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2014, 07:19:16 »
I can be the sarcastic mate if you like.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2014, 08:41:00 »
Do you have the old loom, Matt? You should have, it's yours as they aren't accepting it as a warranty job.

Those lads in the garage really should have looked more closely at the loom the first time around - it has known issues. At least they charged only an hour, because that's what it should rightly have taken to find what even amateurs on here identified as the chief suspect!

You haven't been injecting your loom with saline solutions, have you? How's it your fault? Worth arguing a bit more, I would say (but everyone is different - it might not bother someone else as much :) )

If you do have the loom, take a photo of where the problem is, it might help others in the future :shrug:

Good luck with it Matt :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Timmo

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14:13 »
Pester pester pester. You are obviously a nice bloke Matt but you need some help with this take up jacko's offer mate I hate injustice.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:53 »
Quote from: "Timmo"
Pester pester pester. You are obviously a nice bloke Matt but you need some help with this take up jacko's offer mate I hate injustice.
+1
With that much Effin about I'd want the bike replaced though in reality I would settle for some sort of compensation. How are you going to have any faith in the bike now?
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:10 »
Matt, what is the condition of rest of the bike, such as exhaust and chassis and rear subframe? The reason I am asking this is because all parts on a vehicle are subjected to a salt spray test, which simulates conditions such vehicle being used in winter, being used at coastal regions etc.

If the rest of the bike is in very good condition (no significant corrosion) and is just a particular region of the wiring harness that is corroded, then you can write to Suzuki saying that they have not done enough to protect that area from corrosion.

You can prove to them that since the rest of the bike is in good condition, it has not been used in winter excessively and has not been subjected to conditions that would cause above average levels corrosion.

Offline Matt-EUC

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 12:54:45 »
The rest of the bike is corrosion free, I used it all through the winter and even rode it through a bit of the sea.

After every time it got properly wet and especially after the marine excursion I gave it a thorough wash and and even thorugherer rinse.

I have a good relationship with the garage in question and don't want to ruin it by telling them they've done their job wrong.

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 22:03:21 »
That's fine however I'd still argue the point if there is no rust on the rest of the bike (not arguing with the garage but ask them to go back to Suzuki on the point). One of my Yamahas had rust on some chrome but because the rest of the bike was immaculate Yamaha replaced it under warranty with no problems.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2014, 06:04:42 »
Quote from: "TLPower"
I'm surprised they haven't tried a new loom yet.

:)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2014, 07:46:02 »
By numbers.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 08:56:12 »
Quote from: "Matt-EUC"
The rest of the bike is corrosion free, I used it all through the winter and even rode it through a bit of the sea.

Oh. Er - how deep mate? I mean, past your handguards? lol

Sorry I'm a bit behind on this...have they fitted the new loom yet? Get them to wrap as much of it as they can with self-amalgamating tape, and especially where the last one rotted, and also where the known issue is viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16745

If you are that concerned about pissing them off, taking a Jacko along might be a bit extreme lol  :thumb:   Glad its sorted anyway... :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Matt-EUC

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 09:25:42 »
As far as I'm aware they didn't fit a new loom. They cleaned up a furry connector.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 09:36:39 »
A furry connector blowing a fuse? :crazy:
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 10:50:14 »
Would be good to know where on the bike the corrosion to the loom was. I use my bike all year round and would be interested to know which area I need to inspect.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 11:45:05 »
I wouldn't show them this thread now it says you rode it through the sea.
 :neen:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi