Author Topic: All lowered and very happy  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Ian T

• Bike: DL650 L3, BMW K75s. Ural 750 outfit.
All lowered and very happy
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:14:33 »
Hi everyone

Just fitted cosmos lowering dog bones 30mm and dropped the front through 18mm. It has taken me from tip toe and flicking side to side to stay steady and upright to balls of feet on the floor. Great result.

Took it for a test ride and all seems fab. Had to park on some rough ground and it was difficult to paddle back so seat going off to Tony Archer tomorrow. I have used him many times before and he is the best. Standard seat seems so comfortable but he never let me down before so 25mm coming off and a bit of a sculpt for me poor tail bone.

First time I really ridden the bike since I got it a few weeks ago and I loved it. Such a different riding style to everything I have had before.

Got to sort the Vario screen out today no matter what position I put the airfoil in knocked me eyeballs out and I am only 5' 8'm. So thinking the screen must be set at lowest position.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Dave the Dude

Re: All lowered and very happy
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:36:13 »
Can you still use a centre stand? If you've got one fitted.

Offline Elliot

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:57:13 »
I had my Vee lowered too & all is good but I find it a little hard to place on centre stand though I can still use it. The only other problem I did find with the centre stand is that when I'm 2 up the centre stand sits very low. Wyself & the Mrs went away for a week & was loaded up with camping gear & because the stand was now VERY low to the ground it would touch the ground on cornering Grrrr. Also now its lowered its abit dodgy using side stand because the bike sits very upright so I am thinking I might remove the centre stand & cut off the bottom of the side stand by 20mm & & re weld the foot back on so the bike sits at a better angle unless anyone knows if there is a shorter side stand I can buy for the lowering modification??

Cheers Elliot  :)
May all your punctures be small ones ;-)

Offline Ian T

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:16:33 »
No problems getting it on the centre stand. Sure it popped up before and now it takes a little more pressure. It is still much easier than all my other bikes I have lowered. Knack for me is standing on side tang then it pops up. No eyeballs out or vein popping.

I measured the angle of lean against three points along the bike and it only raised by about 20mm.

Now to the screen

Cheers

Ian

Offline Ian T

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 13:31:07 »
Big dilemma now just taken vario screen off and alas it is on the highest setting. Surely this can't be right I am only 5'8" and any way I set the airfoil I get it straight in the face - is it me?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 14:45:59 »
Put the screen down lower, it's a bit counter intuitive, but often works better than raising it.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Ian T

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 16:10:54 »
Ah wonderful confusing but wonderful. I shall give it a go in the morning

Thank you very much

Ian

Offline V-Twin

• Bike: Fantic Caballero Deluxe 500
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 12:55:42 »
Ian,
In the end I got the Givi Air Flow, now sorted.
VT

Offline Ian T

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 21:13:36 »
Cheers

Seat went away today to Tony. going to see when it comes back as I should be sitting lower then try lowering screen as advised. If that fails going to put tape over me eyes

Ian

Offline RevCounter

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 22:42:29 »
Quote from: "Ian T"
Big dilemma now just taken vario screen off and alas it is on the highest setting. Surely this can't be right I am only 5'8" and any way I set the airfoil I get it straight in the face - is it me?

I'm the same height n have the same issue with the same screen..... I'll be watching this thread...

I'm new to the bike too n considering the dog bones too, will see how I do for couple hundred miles before decide / investigate.
Bones heal, but glory is forever!

Gp100, XL185, RD350LC, DT125, FZR600, CBR600F, Thunderace, R1, DL650.

Offline macamx

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:55 »
Got mine sorted. 5"6' with a 29" inside leg.  148mm centers dog bones fitted. Forks dropped 18mm and 4 rubber cushions removed from underseat and replaced with felt pads. Bike handles great, is completely stable at speed and did 240 mile round trip to Scarborough for the Gold Cup yesterday in complete comfort returning 65 mpg. Best thing since sliced bread. Result.

Geoff.