Author Topic: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?  (Read 14780 times)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2014, 16:20:35 »
I bet you didn't pay the £10K plus that the bike was released at (without panniers) though?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2014, 18:58:06 »
Bertie congratulations on your choice a great bike I have now done 14.000 miles on mine. Only those posting negative comments do not have one.

Just ride it and enjoy it.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2014, 19:10:05 »
What about those reporting fuelling issues??  :stirpot:

:neen:

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2014, 19:40:56 »
There is no fueling issues as I see it.
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2014, 20:10:56 »
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Blade

« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2014, 20:23:09 »
I find that if you twist the black thing on the right hand bar it takes care of any " issues" :stirpot:    :neen:
If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way; you're right.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2014, 21:01:38 »
This is becoming boring.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2014, 21:02:15 »
I happened to think the bike rode fine BTW and after seeing HillBillyScots I'm almost not seeing the beak anymore...

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2014, 21:28:34 »
Quote from: "SimonW"
This is becoming boring.

Simon (and all new DL1000 owners),

What is getting boring is the early adopters of the DL1000 and the way they are behaving in such a defensive/protective manner. The idea of this place (and sites like it) is to share information and experiences on the V-Strom, good and bad, so others can benefit and perhaps make informed choices when buying.

I am stunned by the way some of you are reacting to criticism of the new DL1000, why would any of you care if I liked it or if 3000 of the other members here liked it? It's your bike, your choice and your money.
I don't see owners of the older DL1000 crying in their beer each time a post is made when a Clutch Basket fails, the wiring goes to shit or something corrodes.

Based on the amount of posts here and elsewhere it is obvious the new bike DOES have a fueling related issue, the fact that it doesn't affect all bikes is probably more of a worry than if it was common to all. That doesn't make it a bad bike, it makes it a new bike that needs some bugs ironing out!

I can't comprehend why owners are in denial, if it doesn't affect your bike that's great (for you) but let's encourage open discussion so people can be helped. Also, sing the praises of what is right about the bike.

For feck sake people, get a grip.

Oh, and Ziggy. You're right, I don't own one, I have ridden one, I have spent an age up close and personal (numerous times) because I really wanted one. However, I'd like to think that I have enough experience of ownership over the years of every other V-Strom variant to have an opinion on the new DL1000. That also goes for many of the other members here. Let's encourage the discussion not shy away from it.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2014, 21:52:11 »
Over the last few years I've come to completely disregard anything a modern BMW owner says about his bike or the marque if he won't at least admit that they're not without their problems. Their view has become skewed and closed, as a result their opinions, to me, are untrustworthy. Just saying.

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2014, 22:08:38 »
2000 miles now on my V2, yes I actually own one you know ;) Not a keyboard warrior and I like to find things out for myself, no bulls**t here  :neen:

Went out for a long ride yesterday 190 miles to be exact to the Yorkshire dales. Managed 190 miles on one tank (20ltrs) and still had 30 miles left on my tank range. Felt as fresh as a daisy when I got back. Infact my riding buddies, one on a Glee wanted to do it all again. No problems to date with the V2 getting to know the bike well, along with the ocasional motogp action with fellow strommers! The engine is getting better and better as it loosens up. No fuelling problems whatsoever , just bags of huge torque  :lala: out accelerates most things and the handling out does the wee and glee! After yesterdays ride Its official. Two up - when my lad jumps on the rear the bike doesn't feel any different.

Its a winner!  :auto-dirtbike:  :thumb:

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2014, 22:47:42 »
There is one fault though however....

When I accelerate...my 12V USB socket pops out of the dash!

Would be nice to have a bayonet type socket or twist release . But it is nice that I don't have to purchase an adaptor to fit my standard cig socket accessories unlike some manufacturers who fit a smaller socket.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2014, 22:54:31 »
I'm not being defensive nor protective, nor am I in denial, as you can see from my posts. I don't care if anyone else likes the bike or not - I bought it for me. Some of the new bikes obviously have a fuelling issue (or what looks like a fuelling issue) and some don't. Mine seemed to have an issue with an "on/off" throttle with TC set to 2, which was unpleasant (as I said in my original write up).

I would have preferred that it was cheaper and I think it was originally priced slightly too high compared to other similarly-styled/sized bike for it to sell in high volumes. The way the plastic cover just under the tank doesn't run parallel to the frame irritates me. It also irritates me that Suzuki couldn't spend just 30 seconds longer when prototyping to tuck one of the electrical connectors behind the radiator instead of leaving it facing all the crap coming up off the road. Piss poor QC and attention to detail. The panniers are either shit or brilliant, depending on whether you want to go away travelling for a few days or just need to cart some stuff to the office and back.  

I love the way it handles - some days when it clicks it just flows so nicely it's like surfing. I like the fact it doesn't way a tonne like the S10 does, for those times I have to paddle it backwards on a country lane to let a car go past. I love the fact it has a chain drive, so I can see how it looks, when it needs lubing and changing. I like the fact it doesn't have a whole load of electronic gizmos to potentially go wrong and deny me my freedom at 7am on a Sunday. Like you need electronically adjustable suspension for riding UK roads - ha! (And those electronic gizmos *will* go wrong.) I love the fact I don't have to plan overtakes like you have to on the 650 - you just decide and go. The economy is pretty good - I'm getting 55 mpg avg I would guess, though I wish it had a bigger tank just to save having to fill up as often. My tyres have squared off a bit early at 3.5k I think so maybe I'll put something different on next time (I've got no idea what's on there). I wouldn't choose to go back to the 650 and don't miss anything about it. I also don't regret not buying the S10 (too heavy, horrible engine), R1200GS (was poised to buy, desperately wanted to like it, put off by too many problems and by the nearest dealer being 45 min away), KTM (too off road for my needs), Triumph (not great stories about the dealer, don't like the look of the Explorer, other reasons), Kawasaki (seriously ugly, rushed "me too" to market), Ducati (an upright racing bike - WTF?), Aprilia (the racing bike company? Do they do an adventure bike then?), Moto Guzzi (still waiting (2 years) for the nearest dealer to call me back with a price). Warts and all summing up of the DL1000: great bike, Suzuki should drop its delusions of grandeur or up the quality, shame some seem to have fuelling issues, idle hammer's a minor irritation when I remember to listen for it, accessory prices seem to defy logic (£500 fog lights? Seriously?). Dropping the price, upping the quality and marketing it better could have been a genuine game-changer.

I'm all for open debate on the pros and cons but covering the same old ground (about anything) with nothing new to say is just ... boring. Some people think it's overpriced, some don't, some have fuelling issues, some don't. Just repeating any of those things isn't open debate, it's just going over old ground.

Offline SimonW

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2014, 22:58:36 »
Quote from: "Roadrocket"
There is one fault though however....

When I accelerate...my 12V USB socket pops out of the dash!
That just reminded me - that's another irritation/design oversight. WTF is the point of going to the trouble of fitting a 12v socket on the dash and then only rating it at 3 amps? So you can charge a phone but you can't power a compressor. Another example of a bit more thought, a couple more minutes, a slightly heavier gauge feed and it suddenly goes from being occasionally handy to bloody useful.

Offline Bertie

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2014, 00:01:07 »
For feck sake it's a motorbike, not a power station!  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline SimonW

« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2014, 00:37:44 »
:wtf: I don't really know what point you're trying to make there. My point is that I might need to pump a tyre up on a country lane miles from a service station (having repaired a puncture), and the factory-fitted 12v socket isn't rated highly enough to power the pump. All they needed to do was use a heavier gauge wire at the factory and it would be capable, but instead I have to buy an alternative after-market socket to do the job.

Offline Roadrocket

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:34 »
I didn't know it was only rated at 3A...On long tours I use a multi adaptor for charging GPS, Phone and GoPro batteries of which all when plugged in will be proabably close if not over 3A. AND when my buddies use my 12V socket to plug in their air bed air pumps! Looks like this could be the first mod on my V2 uprated socket with a better retaining clip for the plug

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2014, 06:31:12 »
Well that created some far more interesting and informative posts didn't it. :)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2014, 06:32:26 »
BM 1200GS accessory socket is 5 amps, so I'd guess most other bikes will be the same.  :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:46 »
Does anyone find the wires from accessory socket to above dash satnav gets in the way of the clocks? Can't understand why it wasn't offset  rather than in the middle?  Good to know about amp rating BTW as wouldn't have occurred to me. Guessing wiring won't allow uprated fuse?