Author Topic: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?  (Read 14782 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: V-Strom DL1000 overated and overpriced?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:43 »
@Ali,

Please continue to post your views and opinions, all are valid regardless of your position on the new V-Strom (it's the primary purpose of the site).

I won't add to the two posts from Jacko and Frez because they summarise perfectly.

We want to hear about owners experiences with the new DL1000.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Pickaxe

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 14:52:21 »
No I did the full 30 year life term but only 20 was on bikes.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 20:52:55 »
We'll better book your next demo, KTM 1290 super adventure on front page of MCN. I am waiting for Suzuki to straighten out the DL1000 but can dream about this new Bike in the ring. Will it do the GS ? I would also like to say that if people keep asking for a qualified account of the new 1000 then it will seem like a bad criticism which is not the case,simply an opinion is OK.Suzuki listens to opinions hence the Veek and did you fill in the forms about inside leg measurement? Hence the seat I want to buy a Veek but whatever the cost I do not want a new Bike that I have to fettle.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2014, 21:18:46 »
The Veek is a nice bike and the problems will eventually be ironed out in future models . I own a Vee but I like the looks of the glee so I put this question out there . Why didn't Suzuki make a glee with a litre engine and all the mod cons of the Veek ..? Surely this would have been a cheaper option to Suzuki and perspective buyers ?  :shrug:

Imagine a litre glee with upside forks, better rear shock , radial brakes and traction control ..!!  :shock:  .. I would seriously go out of my way to own one . :grin:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2014, 21:23:17 »
Noooo,  surely fettling is half the fun?  :-)

Isn't there a rumour that Honda are about to bring out a new Africa Twin? That might be interesting..

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 21:30:25 »
kwackboy, a litre Glee would have been amazing. I'd be in the doghouse with the missus for having bought one.

New African Twin would be interesting, as will the MT09/07 based tourer.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 21:37:00 »
A new Africa twin would be amazing but Honda should tread carefully doing so. It would have to be the ultimate adventure bike because the old one is legendary.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Timmo

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 23:23:26 »
Have a look at review blade just posted. We have a New  Suzuki to look at apparently.

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2014, 14:31:56 »
Sorry, I missed all this. I was out enjoying riding my Veek.....

Tim

Offline hillbillyscott

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2014, 17:37:31 »
Me too. I've had the Veek two weeks now and l love it.

I had the wee and covered 34k miles in under 3 years. I've upgraded to the Veek and l love it. Yes it looks different. Yes the build quality could be a bit more refined. This is still a great bike that handles well. The brakes are amazing compared to the wee and I don't regret buying one.

Me and the good lady have just returned from a few days in the lake district and the bike has impressed us both it has coped well with all the little lanes with the tight bends and steep hills we even did hardknott pass two up without a hitch the handling gave me condidence to do more and more in all we've done over 900 miles and returned 56.6mpg.
My bike doesn't seam to suffer badly from the throttle issue that some have, I can make it do it but with fine throttle control I can also prevent it from happening this doesent mean I think its all rider error though I can only speak as I find it on my bike.

In all I'm loving the Veek and enjoying the extra performance, much better braking and improved handling.
DL1000 2017 in white.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2014, 18:18:46 »
I must admit, they do look good in red and they are getting some good write ups lately. I can't miss what I've never tried though.

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2014, 18:56:44 »
hillbillyscott, check the slack in the throttle cable first. Take out as much as you can, without getting any interference when you move th handlebars.  Then get your dealer to do a throttle body re-balance. Suzuki might also suggest a Throttle Position Sensor adjustment, but that just changed my problems, so mine has gone back almost to where it was. A couple of us have also had ECU remaps done, which is probably overkill, but I have to say the change in my bike has been great as a result. I still have to get the balance done, but my bike is way, way better than it was. I had just the same symptoms, and they are all but gone now.

Enjoy the bike!!

Tim

Offline Pembo

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 11:34:19 »
I have the new vee and have had BMWs I find the V Strom smoother It does not make my hands numb like the Bms did, the screen is better for me I have it on the lower setting and fully back,I have the lower seat and find it fine I have done 200 miles without stopping and the fuel economy is brill it allways returns over 60 mpg,It feels light on the go and is easy to push around, No bike is perfect for everyone the first time I rode the Vee I thought the screen was buffiting but with the lower seat it's fine with the stock screen.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:42 »
As my user name implies I have been riding bikes for a very very long time and my DL650 (new shape) is my 37th motorcycle, I had a K9 and realised that it lacked something, when the new one came along I arranged a demo as my neighbour use to sell them for Thunderroad, the difference was immediately noticeable, handling, performance, comfort and screen improvements was enough for me to buy one, I commute weekly to Reading from Newport and it is a joy to ride, it is fully enhanced to suit me with every extra you can think of.
Now the gritty bit, I recently rode the DL1000 on an extended demo, how any one can say that it is nothing more than a big engine 650 is quite frankly bonkers! The engine, brakes, suspension, handling and general ambiance of the 1000 is at least two levels better than the 650, also I have a good friend with the same level of biking experience as me who bought a KTM and returned it to the dealer and got his money back because of the problems he had with it, an isolated case maybe but it shouldn’t have happened.
I think what I am trying to say here without wanting to get into a bun fight, is that the new DL1000 is a lot of bike for the money compared to the competition, yes it will suffer from the normal Suzuki foibles such as thin paint and fastener corrosion and it is very difficult to pin down a price at the moment, in summary if you are interested in one forget the cost for a couple of hours and get to grips with what the 1000 can do.
My 650 will be on the forum for sale in a couple of days so if you are looking for one this could be it !
 :)

Offline suzukiboy

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 13:04:32 »
Just read through all the comments with interest, I for one have only seen photo's of the Veek but really like it. I am new to v stroms having just bought a Glee (and I like the look of that too!), when I test rode one enjoyed riding much more than I have for a long time. The only thing that would stop me seriously considering a Veek is the weight, but that is personal to me and not a fault of the bike. Had a look at a year old triumph 800 explorer yesterday whilst using Destination Triumph as a pit stop and does not do it for me, neither does the KTM, but again that is personal, and degradation of cycle parts seems no better than Suzuki's IMHO. Bought the Glee knowing adjustments and improvements needed to be made to suit me and sure would be the same for a Veek. Now, need to go and see a Veek in the flesh and make sure I leave my wallet at home!!!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 13:42:55 »
Why would the weight of the Veek concern you, I thought it was lighter than the Glee? :shrug:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 15:31:45 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Why would the weight of the Veek concern you, I thought it was lighter than the Glee? :shrug:

Veek is 14kgs heaviver according to the specifications on the Suzuki website.

Got to agree that that much difference is nothing compared to the Veek vs the S10.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 15:52:13 »
I stand corrected :) I bet you could almost even it with the Glee if you put on an aftermarket exhaust lol
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 22:18:59 »
Interesting reading some of the comments here! As I have said in other posts, I've had my new 1000 now for 5 days and ridden 400 miles on it mainly on rural B roads amongst farms with the odd short sprint down a dual carriageway. I'm no newbie to the Vstrom. I've been riding a wee for over 5 years including some big tours across Europe (check my youtube channel). I'm keen to do a new owner report as I know fellow strommers are taking note.

I'm 6ft 2'' and of quite large build. The new Strom is a totally re-engineered package. It is without a doubt much more planted on the road. The cornering stability even on worn potholed roads is excellent. The suspension has far more adjustments than I've been used too and the forks simply soak up everything. The suspension feels of a high quality. The rear shock and forks are much more adjustable certainly better for two up and heavy luggage. The front brakes are extremely positive, literally one fingered braking. Infact they feel like similiar control I have on my mountain bike brakes, very light but a very positive feel. Certainly feel more confident now as I recon my braking distance has significantly been reduced on the new 1000. Its been pretty wet up here this week and not once has the bike flinched on the B roads. And I ain't been hanging about either

As for the comments regarding vibration I have to strongly disagree. The New V 1000 when ridden moderatley actually feels as smooth a 4 cylinder. Even upto 70mph around 3000 - 4000RPM the motor is very smooth. I ride with summmer gloves so no real padding as I like to feel the bars and the levers. (I've only got short fingers!). When the engine is laboured ie accelerating in 5th from 3K RPM yes there is some strong vibration. But ride properly ie don't labour the engine but let it freely accelerate and its winds up as smooth as sewing machine. I'm getting about 55MPG too, which is a little up on my Wee.

I've gone for the tall seat exchange. It feels like a gell seat, not sure if it is. But its very comfortable and has a type of memory foam.
The clutch assist (from the Hayabusa) is great. I initially was a little concerned with the downshift  and the snatch of the big V. But the clutch assist just drops the gear changes in very softly and easily. Very smart.

The headlight is very effective on dipped main and high beam. I also like the instrument display, with Voltmeter, air temp, fuel remaning, MPG, Average MPG etc etc

Verdict is it overpriced? Initially I thought it was.But now I think its worth every penny.

There has clearly been a lot of positive refinement on this new bike. The traction control, braking system, refined engine and ECU, Suspension capability and shear riding pleasure for me tick all the boxes. It is a very different bike and a great one at that.

Thanks for reading.  :thumb:

Oh and it looks great ;)

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:44 »
Quote from: "Ali"
<snip> As for me, it may be new bike time next year. The new Vee is on my shortlist. I don't consider it too cramped for two up riding, which I do a lot of, but to date I have only sat on one. I'll see Ziggy out here in just under a couple of weeks and get a go on his hopefully. Another one is arriving here next Tuesday - https://www.facebook.com/Motobikechallenge so I'll get to check that one out as well. If all is not well, Tracey will tell me. <snip>
Ali, did you get to try it and if so, what was your impression?