Author Topic: Hazards Whilst Filtering?  (Read 9264 times)

Offline iansoady

Re: Hazards Whilst Filtering?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 10:44:12 »
WRT the ferry, question, I've discovered that you're supposed to use them if you have a disabled person in the vehicle so they can direct you to an appropriate parking place near an exit door.

You learn something every day!
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 12:33:56 »
Quote from: "Ali"
There's the dilemma. Passing on the left (offside) is not a problem. Filtering between lines of traffic is deemed to be undertaking. When traffic is at a standstill, many drivers in Germany and Austria will move over to let bikes filter through. I have even had Police vehicles do it for me. if the traffic is moving, albeit slowly, then this seems to be when you can fall foul. some drivers will block you in both circumstances and technically they are within their rights.

Those I know who have been fined have been done so for passing on the right (undertaking). Filtering in the cities is more common place.

Drivers blocking you, I think that is classed as obstruction and will get you in more trouble than the person filtering. The only person allowed such power is the police, you as a civilian do not have the authority to obstruct the highway.

Offline geekay

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 12:48:16 »
Quote from: "putbinoot"
There's the dilemma. Passing on the left (offside) is not a problem. Filtering between lines of traffic is deemed to be undertaking. When traffic is at a standstill, many drivers in Germany and Austria will move over to let bikes filter through. I have even had Police vehicles do it for me. if the traffic is moving, albeit slowly, then this seems to be when you can fall foul. some drivers will block you in both circumstances and technically they are within their rights.

Those I know who have been fined have been done so for passing on the right (undertaking). Filtering in the cities is more common place.

Drivers blocking you, I think that is classed as obstruction and will get you in more trouble than the person filtering. The only person allowed such power is the police, you as a civilian do not have the authority to obstruct the highway.

they do 'do' it though!

I've just come back from a euro tour -some horrendous delays in switzerland due to the gotthard tunnel being partially closed and half of germany escaping to italy on holiday!

I've since discovered that it is probably illegal to filter in switzerland - but I did it at the time. My discovery was that (on the whole, big brush, sweeping statement) dutch and french drivers would quickly and dramatically move out of the way, germans would at best ignore you and the swiss actively block you. sweeping statement, but a lot of filtering - towards andermatt on the way out and for ages towards Basel on the return trip.

Offline Dave the Dude

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 13:38:06 »
I live in Thailand and the idiots use them to signify when you are going straight on at a junction. Bloody stupid because, in reality you do not know if the are turning left or right!!

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 13:49:06 »
Some interesting views here from those in mainland Europe:

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/t ... ring-77291

with the odd post that may not have been helpful  :shy:

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 15:49:11 »
Quote from: "Oop North John"
Quote from: "ziggy"
Here you are from the horses mouth.
https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dr ... 113-to-116

Same link as my post  :)  great minds think alike  :shy:

Strange, it makes no mention of being allowed to park anywhere, at anytime, and with absolutely no regard for other road / path users if you have the hazard warning lights flashing  :crazy:

Sorry John missed your post.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 18:32:23 »
I don't know what the rule is in France but being here currently and riding through Paris, I can certainly say that it appears all bikers and mopeds do it and more interestingly car drivers here are expecting it.
I found it quite disconcerting initially to approach a queue and all the cars pull over to let me through, just about used to it now after a couple of trips through, but I don't ride as quickly through the traffic as the locals , so I let them get past, as I don't have the confidence in the car drivers to move out and stay out of the way.
Even when out of the city car drivers I have approached are expecting me to overtake, as they pull to the side even when there is no overtaking allowed and I am still a good safe distance behind them. It is a nice feeling to have and I'll miss it when I get back to Britain where the drivers seem more intent of making it difficult to pass them.

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 21:23:41 »
Moving over to prevent the passage of a fellow motorist is childish, bad mannered and dog in a mangerish, whether filtering is illegal/accepted or not.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Gasman1975

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 21:36:14 »
When I did my bike safe last year filtering was discussed and the police biker said filtering wasn't illegal as long as the road markings allowed it. They recommend you don't filter when traffic is moving at above 20mph but otherwise its fair play.
Andy

Stressed spelt backwards is desserts so its no wonder I eat when fed up

Proud owner of 08 Wee, an 03 Triumph Speedmaster & a 1991 GL1500 Goldwing Interstate

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Hazards Whilst Filtering?
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 22:17:43 »
Quote from: "Hugo Magnus"
Moving over to prevent the passage of a fellow motorist is childish, bad mannered and dog in a mangerish, whether filtering is illegal/accepted or not.

I agree, asking for trouble, legal or otherwise.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 22:29:38 »
Filtering is legal in this country, Highway Code mentions it specifically but does not indicate at what speeds it is legal. On my bike safe it was suggested to have a speed differential of no more than 10 to 15 mph and kept under 30. Don't cross solid white lines or go in to the advanced stop area for cyclists and it is legal. I filter most days on the bike.

Offline Brucey

• Bike: 2013 V-strom 650 (Voyager pack), 1971 Honda C90.
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 01:00:21 »
Moving over in their own lane to prevent you filtering isn't obstruction fella, especially when you have no right to filter in the first place.
Er, wrong. You have every right to engage in legal activity. It isn't illegal as long as you aren't endangering yourself or anyone else, and you're complying with the caveats provided by bigpie. Deliberately preventing someone from making lawful progress on the Queen's highway is obstruction. Simple.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 11:27:17 »
I think Ali meant in countries where filtering isn't legal.

Offline K6

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 22:13:47 »
Why would you.

Use your eyes and an even share of brains and instinct, that is all............

Offline biker_adz

• Bike: DL650 K7 45k miles, workhorse!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2014, 10:47:28 »
Oh dear, what have I started here!  :eusa-doh:

It think the main thing hid thread shows is a huge diverse opinion of what's allowed which proves that the rules on it must be very unclear!
If you nicked my GSX-R Thou, I want it back!!!

Offline StromAir2014

• O.E.M parts. They last longer.
  • Bike: Glee
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:52 »
Hi
I have just been reading your post about Hazard Warning Lights and their use. Just follow the rules set out in the Highway Code and you can't go wrong, also a word of advise if you're filtering a lot, you're only supposed to go up to 15mph maxi any more speed then this and you're breaking the law. Happy biking and stay safe.

your fuel gauge will differ a bit but not that much just pop into your local Suzuki dealer ask their advice the sensor might be malfunctioning.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 14:39:14 »
Quote from: "StromAir2014"
also a word of advise if your filtering a lot, your only supposed to go up to 15mph maxi any more speed then this and your breaking the law.

Can you post a link to that law please? TVMIA.

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 18:10:58 »
https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/general-guidance-83-to-88
Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.
There's no speed written in law, it is up to interpretation, but if you are 'filtering' between motorway traffic that is going 70mph, you'll likely get a tug for something like undertaking or dangerous riding.

Michelle_B, obviously it is your choice, but as a commuter, I wouldn't dream of sitting in the traffic, my argument is that I see plenty incidents where the driver has bumped into the car in front (usually faffing around on their phone), not much issue when it is a car, but as a biker I don't want to be there.

Offline SausagesDad

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 19:55:36 »
I bought the bike so that I could cut my 1 hr plus commute to 35 mins. Can't do that without filtering. Each to her or his own.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 20:04:08 »
Coming out of Wales on Easter Monday there were 10 miles of queuing cars on the A5 and M54, that's a long time to sit cooking in bike gear when you can filter the lot in half an hour.