Author Topic: Thinking of a 650, your thoughts please....  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Thinking of a 650, your thoughts please....
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 21:24:41 »
True story.

Offline K6

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 22:25:59 »
All good posts again, Greywolf's little proverb particularly true  :old:

p.s. the bearded bloke is for wisdom, not age....

Offline RevCounter

• Bike: DL650 AL4
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 23:10:28 »
K6 my dilemma is the same (though an R1 in my instance).... Have you moved on any further since your last post...? :shock:
Bones heal, but glory is forever!

Gp100, XL185, RD350LC, DT125, FZR600, CBR600F, Thunderace, R1, DL650.

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2014, 13:39:39 »
well I think everyone before this post has said it all its up to you now
Too Old To Die Young

Offline Carioca

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 12:14:56 »
To the sportsbike riders...

Having just stepped off my asbo 990sm (full akro kit, brembos, wp suspenders), onto a 2013 Wee, I would say think about your priorities. Mine changed when baby two came along and costs went through the roof.

My commute into work takes the same amount of time depending on starting point (either 90mins or 45mins).
Is probably half the price (30mpg to 60).
Ride a bit less like a dick (can't pop wheelies everywhere).
Still nail the traffic light gp, and match all the exotica to 40mph (which is what matters).
Slower heart rate.
I don't feel like I dropped the soap at the end of a journey.
Still scrape pegs and filter like a mofo.
Feel quite pipe and slippers.
Bask in the cost to perform ratio.

A quick ride on my old bike before I sell sent pangs of anguish through me (I would keep it forever if I could), but that stopped once I had to fill up again.

It's (it pains me to say) sensible but extremely rewarding. I just need to asbo it up a bit. Pipes, higher seat. Lights galore. Maybe ask for a dual sport stylie helmet for Xmas... and hit some trails!
History (love the twins) : SV650, F800S, 990SM, and now Wee...

990 at Brands, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPItc5 ... jDUVd-MHiA

Offline Jacko

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 00:20:19 »
Don't forget the K60s. ;)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 13:21:38 »
Quote from: "Carioca"
I don't feel like I dropped the soap at the end of a journey.
lol
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline t8ull

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 15:41:01 »
just do it!

Got rid of my FireStorm recently, today went for a ride in the rain on my 2007 DL650X just for the heck of it.
enough said.

T
Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, Triumph Sprint RS, Suzuki SV 650S, Yamaha YZF 600 Thundercat, BMW F800S, Honda VTR1000F Firestorm, Triumph Tiger 1050,
Suzuki DL650X V-Strom

Offline K6

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 20:26:59 »
Riding the GIXXER in the wet on the new Pilot Powers has been a dream, totally great, but still too fast.

I have taken the massive step of agreeing a deal on a new 650, it is the only decision that makes sense.

I am at the minute full of doubt and regret, but the decision is made and a deposit left.

I have had a great deal, I could have sold mine for more privately but then I wouldn't have got the DL at such a good price. The dealer knows he will turn a healthy profit and has been honest enough to say.

Extra's, I have opted for, just the OE Suzuki belly pan, a 12v socket and a tank pad. I have already ordered a Givi V47 topbox, backrest and fixing kit and a Givi Tankbag and kit seperately. I will probably order an MRA Screen too, I'll just wait to see whether I'm  like Angus Young with the OE one before I do.

All in all, I know I will miss the GIXXER, but I am optimistic the the DL will ease the pain.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice  :eusa-doh:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 20:32:42 »
Tough call, but why not. You can always go back to a sportsbike one day if you like. For now though try something new. :)

Offline K6

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 20:56:40 »
Well, just over 2 weeks in.

Had 600 mile service yesterday at 631 miles.

So far, it's a nice bike, comfy, decent handling, looks better than it should, but I'm struggling to cope with the massive drop in power.

My beloved GSXR sold for almost £6000 within three days of being part chopped, the dealer never even had time to upload photo's. No ging back then :-(

I think I'll persevere until Spring, though I have considered swapping for a new GSXR L4 (not quite the same as a K6 though I feel).

Maybe too much too soon, though I am trying to remind myself of the reasons for swapping in the first place.

The truth is the Glee is a nice bike, I just don't have the right mindset / riding style for it just yet.

As I said, I will persevere, I just thought I'd post an update.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 21:01:51 »
I'd recommend fitting a GPR exhaust, good value and nice sound. Doesn't make the bike go faster IMO, but it sounds like it is  :)

Givi Airflow screens seem to be where many end up when they're not happy with the original screen.

Offline Jacko

Thinking of a 650, your thoughts please....
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 21:44:37 »
I feel your pain, I can sympathise, I kept my zx6 for nearly two years, to wean myself off slowly. Now the Glee makes perfect sense, the zx6 has gone. I don't regret selling it, although I do miss it, only because the option has gone, nothing to do with the Glee, which is perfect. I bought it to slow me down, to give me enjoyment at lower speeds, it succeeded, and is still performing those duties. Power was never really that important to me, it's all about the delivery, and the Glee delivers it in such a usable way I still grin like an idiot whilst riding it.

Stick with it, change your mindset. Ride some lanes, back roads, local ones you ignored when you owned the GSXR, the bike makes more sense in that environment.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 21:46:09 »
Go find some unpaved roads and ride them, then when you get home you can have a think about how much fun it'd be to do that on the GSXR :)

:sarc:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Carioca

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 22:21:39 »
bloke, I feel your pain. It's all about your priorities... What's going to give...

But if you've only just done 600mile service, you can't have wrung its neck yet... So you may not have explored its full potential. Not saying that it will get close to an in-line thou (not even close), but there is a certain sick pleasure in hitting the high notes, and as has been mentioned, a v-twin like this cries out for a louder pipe.

My dream bike is still haunting me, sat in my garden waiting for ebay... like a gorgeous limber and liberal minded ex girlfriend.

BUT...

I've done 2000miles after a month of owning it, and have easily saved well over £100 on fuel vs what I would have spent. That's a fair wedge o' cash.

I can't decide yet if I miss arriving everywhere with a mad glint in my eye, giggling nervously and grinning ear to ear... not sure that's healthy...
History (love the twins) : SV650, F800S, 990SM, and now Wee...

990 at Brands, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuPItc5 ... jDUVd-MHiA

Offline K6

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:06 »
Great posts blokes, I think a loud pipe will help, in a mad way part of what I miss is the growl of my GSX on start up   :violence-smack:

I've done a few lanes and stuck mainly to B roads when running in and have enjoyed. My problem started to air when venturing on to A roads weh heading to specific places. A roads being the GSX's stomping ground. My worry is that I have only ridden alone since owning the Glee, I have yet to ride with my mates and I was sure I'd still be in the mix, maybe I will, time will tell.

It is def all about me and my mindset so I'll stick with it, I want so much to slow down (in my head). I really miss the rush and the crazy grins, the holding on for dear life, you all know where I'm coming from, which is good to know because you've all gone through the same....

Fingers crossed, and thanks again.

Exhaust wise, is the GPR def the way to go?

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2014, 10:33:35 »
Get a GPS and plan some routes that take in the "B" and lower roads. On a winding "B" road doing 40mph can seem really fast. Benefit is there's not going to be many revenue generating cameras on those roads as well.

There may be better exhausts for the Glee out there, but the GPR seems to be one of the better value ones. I've modified mine so that the end can is better supported, IMO, which is the only negative that I can think of. Gpr system fits with a centre stand as well.

Offline frez

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:20 »
If you find you really can't do without the power, maybe get a powerful naked bike, you can't ride those flat out for long without putting two inches on your arms and neck.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline K6

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2014, 11:07:55 »
Yep, the GPR bracket does put me off a bit, though they do get many good reviews on here.

Naked, lol, rode a few and I'm not a fan. Anything over a ton and the front of my leather jacket feels the same as my dry suit when scuba diving 20 metres down :-)

And you're right about the neck, one way of strengthening those muscles!

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 12:35:02 »
Quote from: "K6"
Yep, the GPR bracket does put me off a bit, though they do get many good reviews on here.

Only a few pounds and dead easy to do. Must be if I did it  :)

Re the speed thing, I used to live in east Lancashire and enjoyed the Yorkshire Dales to ride in, there's some great unclassified roads and you can enjoy yourself without going into ban territory, and there's usually any cameras around as well. But sometimes needed to go on the A65, what a pain, loads of cars / caravans / lorries all getting in the way of each other and me, but 1/2 a mile off it was a different world.