Author Topic: Rear LED lights  (Read 970 times)

Offline Parademic

Rear LED lights
« on: July 27, 2014, 22:06:24 »
Hello again all.

I've been after some rear LED lights for my strom for some time now rather than the standard bulbs etc, but I found a few problems (of which I've now overcome) and thought I'd share my experiences.

The rear lights on the Strom are both running lights and brake lights as they come out of the box. The bulbs are standard dual bulbs. For me, I fancied something a little brighter, like LED ones.

I first got a couple of LED bulbs that just replace the normal glass bulbs... that didn't work. The first set didn't get any brighter when I pressed the brakes and the although the second set did appear to work correctly, the bulb was slightly larger and would fit back through the housing in the lense...

My next option was a quick search of the net, and I found a complete rear light for the V-Strom for less than £15 brand new. It seemed too good to be true but I ordered it anyway and crossed my fingers.

In short, in arrived, looked great. Took me an hour to install and does the job great.

So, for those of you our there wanting the LED bulbs (Other than the ones that Kirky does... and they are great too by the way... I have those fitted too), there is a solution.

I've put some pics on the post below to help anyone else that might be trying to attempt the same.

Hope it helps.

Gareth

Offline Parademic

Re: Rear LED lights
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 22:14:01 »

this is the old light (still in place) and the new LED one.

Offline Parademic

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 22:17:44 »
the back of the new LED tail light has the same shaped mould as the old light so it's a good fit.

Where the two bulbs would normally go, there are are two holes. One has a "male" bayonet bulb fitting on. This simply just plugs into one of the "female" bulb sockets and it's all plugged in for running and brake lights.

The other hole has 2 other wires coming out of it... I'll come to that in bit...

But for now, a quick test of the lights and brakes etc showed it was working fine.

Offline 03guyjam

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 22:20:20 »
Hi :)

When they are fitted would you be able to post a pic with it in place and then a photo of rear light and then brake light please :) I've been looking at those for some time now.

What age vstrom do you have??

I think yours only has 1 rear bulb where as mine has 2 (2010 wee) will this still work or are they shaped differently?

Cheers

Offline Parademic

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 22:24:18 »
The two other wires (yellow ones) coming out of the other hole are actually for indicators. unknown to me, this light has amber LED's in it too, so it will act as an indicator also. This was a little bonus for me, and it took a little while to work out which wire was which, but basically both wire are "+ve". one for the left and one for the right indicator. I was a little confused as to where the (black) "-ve" wire was, but it uses a common ground through the main rear light. after 20 mins of head scratching I sussed this, and spliced the wires on to the existing indicators.

As I was multi tasking (something my misses thinks is impossible) and fitting "kirky's" rear CREE LED lights in at the same time, I had a little more wiring and soldering to do... (See picture), but it made sense to do it all together whilst the rear trim was off.

(and the picture is coming guyjam... I'm just writing this as I go... lol).

Offline Parademic

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 22:26:39 »
So, once all done and everything screwed back in place... It looked pretty goo I thought... I'm sure will have their own views... Ha.

And with the lights running it looks like this... :

As always, comments are more than welcome...

Gareth

Offline Parademic

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 22:31:27 »
Oh, I couldn't show you the brake light on too as there was only me taking the pics and my arms aren't long enough to reach to brakes whilst stood at the back, but needless to say they are spot on. A little brighter than the originals if I'm honest but a couple of mates who have rided behind me in daytime conditions have said that they look great and there is no problem in seeing them.

Additionally, I did try taking a picture with the indicators on also so you can see what they look like. Obviously, it's not going to flash on a picture but I'm sure you'll get the idea what it looks like.

Gareth

And if anyone is interested, the link on ebay for the light is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330799103163? ... 1439.l2649

(although the price has gone up about 50p. Start saving - ha).