Author Topic: noise from the front  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
noise from the front
« on: July 23, 2014, 20:50:43 »
Took Suzy to work today and heard this strange noise coming from the front. its difficult to describe but the closest I can suggest is like a rubbing sound from when you used to have a slightly buckled wheel on a bicycle and it used to rub on the brake block.

I know it a lot to ask from a very vague description but can you give me a place to start to in what to look at, it seems to disappear at speed.

Thanks in advance
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: noise from the front
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 20:56:12 »
Distorted front mudguard?

Something stuck between the mudguard and the wheel?

Discs warped?

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 21:01:07 »
Lift the front wheel and spin it by hand. Maybe a sticking caliper piston  :shrug:

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 21:14:59 »
Mudgaurd OK, nothing stuck.

Just lifted the front and spun the wheel it sounds as though the pads are constantly rubbing on the discs,   I take it that's not normal.
On a positive the rubbing noise is constant which shows the discs are not warped I suppose  :shrug:

They are not stopping the wheel spinning as it sounds as they are barely touching.

Any advice  :thumb:
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 21:18:37 »
They will sit pretty much in contact the whole time but you just don't normally hear them.

Maybe some grit got in beside the pads?
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 21:22:26 »
Quote from: "Mr Nick"
They will sit pretty much in contact the whole time but you just don't normally hear them.

Maybe some grit got in beside the pads?

without taking these things apart is there anything I can do .... blow it with air compressor etc.

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline krisv

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 21:42:34 »
Try some brake cleaner from halfrauds... Usually does the trick.. while you are at it, check if the discs are floating properly.

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 21:54:17 »
Quote from: "krisv"
Try some brake cleaner from halfrauds... Usually does the trick.. while you are at it, check if the discs are floating properly.

Cheers  :thumb:

But if the discs are made of metal won't they sink?  :shrug:

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline krisv

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 21:58:55 »
Quote from: "Holmsey"
But if the discs are made of metal won't they sink? :shrug:
 lol  :groan:

Ships are made of metal. They float most of the time.  :grin:  :neen:

I meant the bobbins on which the discs are monted. If one of them is stuck, there would be a slight run-out, causing the noise. I usually take a large bolt and nut, lock it in (not too tight) and rotate the bobbin a few times using a ratchet while spraying brake cleaner.

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 22:04:05 »
Quote from: "krisv"
But if the discs are made of metal won't they sink? :shrug:
 ::):  :groan:

Ships are made of metal. They float most of the time.  :grin:  :neen:

I meant the bobbins on which the discs are monted. If one of them is stuck, there would be a slight run-out, causing the noise. I usually take a large bolt and nut, lock it in (not too tight) and rotate the bobbin a few times using a ratchet while spraying brake cleaner.

ships are designed to displace water, the discs have holes in  :neen:  lol

In relation to the bobbins ...... Pretend your talking to a complete retard who hasn't got a clue  :text-imnewhere: to biking ..... I can google it our ask a biker mate at work  :fix:

:thumb:

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
noise from the front
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 22:41:21 »
Pads rub against the discs on both my bikes, both audible when the wheel is spun, as long as it spins freely and doesn't come to a stop as soon as you've let go it's normal.

Regarding bobbin cleaning watch this vid.

Offline krisv

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 23:01:41 »
You beat me to the link Jacko...

hips are designed to displace water, the discs have holes in :neen: ::):

I am at a loss for words now.. brains already shut down lol

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 18:34:00 »
Had a biker mate look at it and he says that thew bearings are fine but did notice a slight score line on one of the discs going around the centre. he reckons as previously said there maybe a stone on the disc.

I will have the pads off sometime on friday and take a butchers.

My mate loved Suzy and took her out for about an hour before reluctantly bringing her back  :)

He used to have a V-Strom years ago and says he does regret getting rid of it but I think now he will be looking again  :auto-dirtbike:

Any tips on taking the calipers off while I am here?.

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 21:21:03 »
It's a straight forward job, nothing much to it, not even when replacing them. Only tip perhaps is to not push the pistons in too far to make refitting easier, it might push fluid out the top at the master cylinder and brake fluid ruins paint if it's not washed off quickly. If it does spill out, just use lots of cold water to wash it away.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Jacko

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 22:12:36 »
Tips on taking the callipers off? Mate, if you f**k this up I'm coming down there to personally give you a slap. And I hate London!

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 06:27:26 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
Tips on taking the callipers off? Mate, if you f**k this up I'm coming down there to personally give you a slap. And I hate London!

Mmmmm threats of violence  :shock:

although its a conditional threat it could be construed as a malicious communication (but an offence none the less)  :neen:

You could always come to London and show me how not to F**k it up Jacko  lol

Thank you Juvecu for the brake fluid spillage warning .... (see that's what I mean Jacko  :neen: )

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Jacko

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 07:15:34 »
Pushing the pistons back is only really necessary if you're fitting new pads, you should be able to slide them off and then back on again without moving the pistons. I sometimes give a little twist of the caliper, after removing the bolts, when it's still on the disc to just create a slightly larger gap between the pads to facilitate refitting, it's not usually necessary though.

Offline Holmsey

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:00:04 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
Pushing the pistons back is only really necessary if you're fitting new pads, you should be able to slide them off and then back on again without moving the pistons. I sometimes give a little twist of the caliper, after removing the bolts, when it's still on the disc to just create a slightly larger gap between the pads to facilitate refitting, it's not usually necessary though.

Cheers mate won't be replacing the pads so I'll take that on board  :thumb:

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 08:16:15 »
If you think you might push the pistons in too far, then removing some of the brake fluid from the reservoir stops it getting messy. I've used a syringe before to try and reduce the chances of splashing the paint work etc with the brake fluid. And, you might as well buy some new brake fluid in case it needs topping up, unless you already have some, but keep it closed as its hydroscopic.

To increase the ease of getting the caliper / brake pads back on I've used a screwdriver between the disc and the metal bit of the brake pad and gently twisted it a small amount. Though sometimes wobbling the caliper just to get the pads onto the disc can work as has been said, hopefully your discs don't have a lip on them which can make the job that bit more problematical.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:10 »
Cheers mate won't be replacing the pads so I'll take that on board  :thumb:

My original post still applies. :violence-smack: