Author Topic: Remapping  (Read 5981 times)

Offline Theflyingscot

• Bike: DL1000 K7
Remapping
« on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:30 »
I am looking at getting my Vee remapped to get rid of the surging etc. any recommendations for the Derby area?
Water is wet, Sky is blue. If you are after answers to any other questions Google it!!!!!

Offline Jacksnipe

Re: Remapping
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:59:50 »
My guess is the only sensible route is a Power Commander. Cannot see enough business in the remapping of bike ECU's for them to make money. Power commanders are mass produced and good quality for that sole purpose.

Have a look on the net for the companies site.

WM

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:19 »
There are not that many places that do it. Try Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicester, that's not too far from Derby, and they remap plenty of different bikes and will let you know if it's possible on the old vee.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline ajduggie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 17:14:50 »
Pardon my ignorance, but how or when do you know your engine needs remapping, and what is a power commando :shrug:
Just going to do the points on my AJS now :old:

Offline Timmo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 18:16:58 »
What are Points?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 19:24:07 »
That's when you extend the index finger of a hand in the direction of something that needs adjusted/fixed/replaced when in the presence of someone who knows how to do said job..... :fix:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 19:28:56 »
Those little things connected to your condenser.

Something to faff with when your bike stops and roadside assistance hasn't been invented. Your spare set will be under your seat with the spare plugs and the emergency autosol. :)

http://bsd.uk.com/ seem to receive rave reviews from BIKE mag.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 19:47:23 »
How did you know where I kept my Autosol ?

Offline TLPower

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 21:00:48 »
Guessed.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 21:16:28 »
I keep the spare plugs for the TS in the tail pack: no points as it's got electronic wizardry in it...

I remember my first car had points and you just learned to know when them or the condenser weren't happy. Don't miss them.

Sometimes miss the sound of twin choke carbs.

But not points.

At all...
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Timmo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 22:30:03 »
My wife bought a tumble dryer with a condenser! Never had a problem even in damp conditions.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 22:53:18 »
A with a Yoshi box on a dyno will likely be the best option. It's a lot less faff, it's done properly and you don't have to mess around with plugging in a Power Commander and trying different maps that were all done on other bikes than yours and therefore won't ever be a perfect map. Chances are that if you get a Power Commander and you're not lucky enough that a map someone else has works that you'll need to pay for someone to run it on a dyno and make map for your Power Commander anyway. If you get a map from someone else that works, you still don't know how well it's mapped other than by your own arse dyno. The Yoshi box plugs in, tunes and gets removed, no expensive box under your seat that you need to keep plugged in (not to mention that you don't have to faff with disabling the Oxygen sensor and the FI alarm for it either.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Theflyingscot

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 23:04:27 »
Juvecu any recommendation for someone in the midlands that can do the work?
Water is wet, Sky is blue. If you are after answers to any other questions Google it!!!!!

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 23:20:07 »
Nope, but I've never tried looking for a place myself. I was going to build a Yoshi box, in fact, I did build it, but it wasn't working and 3 different people (who knew what they were doing) tried to fault find it and no one could pick up the problem. I've not become around to rebuilding it, but I have the plans and the components are cheap. Then you'll only need a place that can dyno as you can tune it yourself (dead easy to do.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Theflyingscot

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 18:02:33 »
You lost me at Yoshi box

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 18:24:36 »
The Yoshi box is the thing that they plug into the ECU port to adjust the settings for the fuel map on your bike. The reason you need to do dyno runs is to see what needs adjusting and then to make sure the adjust ments you made are correct. You're looking to get the air/fuel ratio correct/as near as correct over the whole rev range when the bike is under load (the dyno loads it.) It's good to have made sure that things like throttle bodies are balanced, spark plug gaps are right, valve clearances are correct, TPS sensor is set properly and have the type of air filter you're usually using in the bike too. If you are thinking of fitting an aftermarket exhaust, do that first so you don't need to dyno it more than you have to. I'd say £200-250 and you'll have it spot on if you can find someone with a dyno and the Yoshi box (or alternatively a Teka SFI.)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 15:42:46 »
I must have misread the post about underseat cream, is this not the stuff?............

Offline TLPower

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 20:13:08 »
At last, somebody picks up the bone I threw you all.

Well done Rusty. :)

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Timmo

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:35 »
Wondered why my chrome is all smeary.

Offline TimV

• Bike: DL1000 K3
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 19:09:46 »
These Yoshi & Teka boxes, are they a specific V-Strom only thing or Suzuki-only or anything? Would the average dyno shop know what I was talking about if asked? And does anyone know of one of the boxes in the East Anglia area?

My Vee has a bit of a stutter at around 3800 rpm ever since replacing the fairly filthy air filter which a new one (and removing the secondary butterflies). I just checked the local dyno shop's website and unfortunately they are a Dynojet agent, so would no doubt be steering me down that route anyway, and they quote a set-up price of £170 +vat + Power Commander,  to be honest the slight glitch isn't bad enough to warrant spending anywhere near that on it anyway.

All ideas appreciated....