Author Topic: New to the V-Strom. Need advice.  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Hud955

New to the V-Strom. Need advice.
« on: July 16, 2014, 12:25:31 »
Hi

I've just been made redundant and given a payoff, making it possible to do the long overland trip by bike I've always dreamed of.

I've been looking at a load of suitable bikes and the DL650 has come up as a major possibility for me. Last week I arranged a test ride with my local dealer on the new model. There was lots to like, and it would have gone to the top of my list but for one thing... Over 5,000 revs, it was like sitting on top of a dentist's drill. High frequency vibes were coming up through the pegs, the seat and the bars. If I put my teeth together they buzzed. And after an hour and a half in the saddle I was getting serious monkey-arse. I can't make this out. I had a brief ride on a 2005 model a few years ago and I didn't get anything like this. No-one I know who has ridden the DL650 has had this experience and the dealer was uninformative.

The demo bike was almost brand new (only 70 miles on the clock) and I did wonder if all this might be because the engine still needed to loosen up... ???

I don't want to write the DL off, but I couldn't live with this even on a commuter trip, let along a big journey. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd appreciate any advice or comments.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
Re: New to the V-Strom. Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 13:00:56 »
Hi and welcome, did the bike have engine bars fitted? This is a known problem with Suzuki bars
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23
RBLR 1000 '24

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 17:05:39 »
Engine bar vibes usually chime in at just under 5,000 and the go pretty quickly. TB balance perhaps? mine is good over 5,000 rpm (and below 4,700!!)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 17:25:48 »
Quote from: "user650"
Hi and welcome, did the bike have engine bars fitted? This is a known problem with Suzuki bars

4700 rpm seems to be the unhappy spot with the Suzuki bars on the Glee. Mine does it a bit, and with a 16T front sprocket (to make the speedo 99% accurate) equates to about 65mph, which is useful on the NSL roads.  :)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
New to the V-Strom. Need advice.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 20:23:50 »
No vibes on mine. It sounds like the Suzuki engine bar related issue, although such a new demo bike shouldn't have them on, they were pulled from sale a while back. Did the bike you rode have the gold coloured engine bars on?

My Glee (2012 DL650) is the smoothest twin I've ever ridden, absolutely no compromise, and I come from a series of inline fours.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 21:06:33 »
The type of V configuration on the Strom, 90 degrees, makes for the smoothest, least vibes V-twin engines as primary vibrations are balanced out. It does sound like it's the engine bar problem on the Glee, assuming you're not mistaking wind buffeting for vibrations? I guess that's unlikely, but just trying to cover the obvious.

As much as I love my Strom, for a round the world trip I'd take a lighter bike, but that's something we'll more easily agree on when you return  :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Hud955

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 23:41:18 »
Thanks for the comments.

No, there were no engine bars on the demo bike.  What I hear everyone saying clearly though is that this shouldn't be happening.  That's something I can go back to the dealer with.  So thanks for the info.  It did surprise me since I used to have a SV650 (and still have a SV1000 - fantastic bike) and had no problem with vibes at all.

I agree, Juvecu.  I was originally looking for a lighter bike but couldn't find anything I liked that I thought would do what I needed.  Going up to a 650 is something of a compromise.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:09:00 »
High frequency vibes were coming up through the pegs, the seat and the bars

there's a lot of things it could be, of course, but could be tyres or wheels? However, with just 70 miles on the clock, its probably an issue with the way they've set it up...tell em to check all their nuts n bolts for a start!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:17:34 »
It seems not every Dealer is capable of setting up V-Stroms properly. An unlucky few with the new 1000 are experiencing a problem or two. Wonder what it is? Apprentice having a practice on the Dealers Bikes before they are turned loose on the paying public perhaps?

Gassoon - nice to see you back - Holiday, Boredom or a stint at Her Majesties Pleasure? :grin:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 13:15:08 »
Perhaps it's worth considering a lighter ~650 engined bike. DR650? TTR600? Something with less bulk and fairings, but still a decent seat width. If the bike is lighter then the engine can be smaller, both in capacity and physical size.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Hud955

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 14:27:43 »
Hi Juvecu

Thanks for the advice.  Appreciated.  I did look briefly at both these bikes.  

The DR650 looked like a good option but it's now an American import.  The stories I've heard about imported bikes have not generally been good, but it seems parts are fairly easy to come by in this case.  Might just take another look.  Thanks for the suggestion.

I've also heard good things about the DRZ400S as an 'adventure' bike - if you can find one.

Cheers

Offline Hud955

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 14:30:37 »
Quote from: "Firestorm"
It seems not every Dealer is capable of setting up V-Stroms properly.

Hi Firestorm.  I've talked to the dealer.  They're going to take it for a ride, and then get back to me.  We'll see if you're right.   :)

Cheers

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 18:59:02 »
You can also look at the Honda XR650L, still made virtually unchanged from the 1993 spec! 158kg wet weight (claimed?) and a proper off road based chassis. There will be lots of them around and plenty of aftermarket accessories, it's probably the longest running model bike of any manufacturer. They are still being made too (21 years on!) :)
http://powersports.Honda.com/2014/xr650l/street.aspx

I have a DR-Z400SM, it's mostly in off road trim now (S model wheels) and it's great. Very quick off the line with 39mm Keihin FCR carb rather than the asthmatic stock Mikuni BSR36 CV carb (same carb as the S model uses.) The SM has USD forks, the S has standard forks, otherwise they are identical except that the SM also has the RM-Z swingarm. The seat is absolute torture, the XR650L seat looks comfy compared to it. I'd go around the world on the DR-Z if I can find a bigger tank for it and do something about the seat. Comfort is a personal thing though and I've found that as long as I'm standing up riding, the DR-Z is comfy :grin: The DR-Z is about 150kg wet so if I had a choice I'd pick the XR650L, it will be similar on fuel consumption, won't be as affected by the weight of the luggage and will likely be comfier with more chance of getting the mods you want for it than on the DR-Z (though there is a crapload of aftermarket stuff for the DR-Z around too.)

If you have DR-Z questions, feel free to ask, I know them fairly well and if I don't know anything I can find out  :thumb:

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 21:04:56 »
Gassoon - nice to see you back - Holiday, Boredom or a stint at Her Majesties Pleasure? :grin:

lol Cheers, I would have settled for any of those, but twas just the dreaded 'family' problems mate. Nuff said, except why can't people be as simple to operate as bikes? :shrug:  :grin:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 21:20:16 »
Quote from: "Hud955"
It seems not every Dealer is capable of setting up V-Stroms properly.

Hi Firestorm.  I've talked to the dealer.  They're going to take it for a ride, and then get back to me.  We'll see if you're right.   :)

Cheers

I was about to say something similar myself ;-)  :grin:

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Hud955

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 13:15:32 »
Hi Juvecu

Now, the XR650L I hadn't really thought about at all. I've never owned a Honda.   I'll take a good look at it.  I like the spec.  

You do realise of course that you may be driving me away from the V-Strom!   :)

Thanks again for all the info.

Cheers

Richard

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 19:30:11 »
Yes, but we're nice like that :grin:

The Strom is great, but if you are going to be riding around the world it might not be the ideal tool for the job. It's entirely possible to do it, but you'll probably wish you did it on something lighter by the time you are done (or sell it halfway through and get a lighter bike.) Unless you're staying on paved roads all the way, then the Strom is probably the better tool, but what's the fun in staying only on paved roads? Getting off the beaten track (to use a cliché that's fitting) is where you see more than just the average tourist will see and where you'll get the good experiences from that will be the memories that you will keep to tell others about.

I'm going to Morocco with 3 others from this forum in September, all on V-Stroms and we're going to be using unpaved roads as much as we can. Like I said, it's all doable, but I'm sure we'll wish we were on our lighter bikes except for all the riding from the UK through Spain to Morocco and back (all paved.) I know we'll not only be going once, we do it on the Stroms now and then we'll take the lighter bikes when we go back some other time.

If you do end up with a Strom, at least you can say you considered your other options in full and that the decision to take the Strom was based on that research rather than just on a bunch of blokes on a bike specific forum telling you how great it is :)

Tell us what you decide on and why :thumb:

Offline Gassoon

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 20:30:30 »
You may not have seen this RTW by another Richard on a Strom... :)

http://travellingstrom.com/2012/04/20/

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 11:13:52 »
There are a few people (members on here) like Traveling Strom that have taken the strom around the world in various directions.

The major factor for me would be reliability. The strom is very very reliable, but bad things happen and TS came a cropper and needed some Chinese 'mechanics' to work on his bike who very nearly wrecked the engine with dodgy workmanship he discovered later in the trip.
The strom is reliable, but I'd be thinking of a more offroad focused bike, that will be a little more capable when the going gets rough, has fewer bits to snap off and be simpler to fix if something does fail/break.
the strom's fuel injection system could refuse to work is one of the sensors gives up and would be difficult to strip and find parts in the more remote areas.

A simple single cylinder with single carb is a far better choice to rule out certain issues that could arise.

Yes I'm also recommending a lighter single cylinder bike as the strom is a great bike for commuting, playing with the sports bikes, or touring around the USA or Europe, but take it into the wild and the weight and complexity of the bikes systems could potentially cause problems.
The old army saying KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid.

There are many of us on here who have taken the strom on the rough stuff and many of us have since bought lighter singles for this role as the strom is a weighty thing to handle/pick up and panels are easily smashed.

there is still one fool here that takes his S10 where Juv on the DRZ goes.  :crazy:

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 11:16:44 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
There is still one fool here that takes his S10 where Juv on the DRZ goes.
Yep, but he's a bit of a grass track expert.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi