Author Topic: New vStrom Buffeting issue  (Read 13048 times)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: New vStrom Buffeting issue
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 14:27:53 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
Me, I've just fitted the pattern Aprilia mirrors. I'll do some serious testing tomorrow.

It would be helpful if you updated your profile to having a DL1000 then.

Hilldweller

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 14:44:04 »
Quote from: "Oop North John"
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
Me, I've just fitted the pattern Aprilia mirrors. I'll do some serious testing tomorrow.

It would be helpful if you updated your profile to having a DL1000 then.

As far as I can tell the buffeting problem is common across the board. Similar parts are on offer to suit wee, glee and vee. We have about 4 generations of this design talked about on here and one common complaint is buffeting.

What are your findings ?

Offline Tommy3Tanks

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 16:13:34 »
With the screen on the highest setting and stock mirrors on my glee I had zero buffeting. That also meant little airflow into my helmet which is needed on warm days. Have since dropped screen to lowest setting to keep me cooler. Yes there is buffeting at speed I'm on a motorbike, I want to feel like I am. The day I want zero buffeting I will use the car.

Offline frez

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 17:45:56 »
Screens are the new oil ;)
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 18:32:23 »
Also had to try a few things on the Wee before it suited me. Otherwise I would ride for 20 minutes and feel like I had a concussion. This was much aggravated that I'm sensitive to motion disturbances, I get motion sick watching videos of people ride if the quality of the vid is bad or there is some vibration.

I tried different screens, in the end I have a Madstad and Tuono mirrors. The Madstad makes any screen I put on now lovely. In summer I have a short tinted sports screen, in winter I have a stock screen for the protection. I've had a Givi barn door on too, great with the Madstad, not so much without. I also noticed a distinct improvement going from a mid priced Shark helmet to a Shoei Qwest. My current helmet, an X-Lite X-551 has a peak and my screen needs to be set slightly differently if I wear that. Same goes for when I wear my HJC AC-MX helment and goggles, then I have to adjust the screen a bit differently again.

IMHO most buffeting is caused by the angle and height of the screen RELATED to the rider's riding position and helmet. This combination means every rider has a different experience on the same bike.

Then there's always the "other" solution: if the screen bothers you, take it off.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 19:50:09 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Most who have no problems don't tend to feel the need to say so.
Ha, so true.

I'd just like to say for the record, and the benefit of future internet searches by others, that I have no problems whatsoever with my wheels - they seem to be round enough for me - nor the rear reflector, as far as I can tell.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:32 »
Well I certainly got a whole lot of differing advice and opinions so thank you all for your contributions.

I'm minded to try the Vario Touring Screen from www.bikehps.com for £89 as opposed to the Suzuki touring screen as I'm not convinced the 50mm extra height on that screen will be enough (I will test this tomorrow by taping some plastic to the existing screen and taking it out for a spin).

I will update my results as I get them but to be honest as so many have pointed out on here, different solutions suit different people but at least it will assist others who read this post in the future as it has assisted me.

Thanks again everyone for your opinions and advices
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:37 »
The best solution for many has been the Givi Airflow, and they have some details on their site for your bike under p/n: D3105ST on their site: http://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle#SUZ ... -Strom_(14)

With the Glee, I think many have found the MRA type didn't make much difference.

Hilldweller

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 14:42:21 »
So as not to ruffle any more feathers in this thread I have just started a new thread on today's testing.

I think I can live with it now.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 20:30:55 »
Ordered Givi Airflow for the Glee, have an MRA Touring screen on the Versys 1000 and an X - screen a piece on my BM 1200 RS and on my Burgman. All buffeting issue's sorted on all the upgraded bikes. So looking forward to the Glee (Pillion use important) I had the Airflow on my SH300 and found it to be really good. Beauty is in the eye...  From my research seems for me only way to go for the Glee.

Bikes are so slab like for the aeordynamics to work perfectly for all of us it too much to expect. Get your wedge out and recycle it to some other rider when you move on. Always a ready market out their and seller and customer can both be happy !

The V Strom is the bike of choice to be towed behind our MH, as we are off to France for a Ist World War site and Vosges Mountain Tour.

Kenno

Offline oddbod

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 14:22:08 »
SOLVED!!!!

Having tried the Suzuki touring screen and only getting a minor improvement I fitted aprilia tourono mirrors with only a slight improvement again.

Have just fitted the MRA Vario screen all I can say is......its absolutely fantastic!!!!!!
Its great to finally ride above 50mph and not have double vision from the buffeting.
There is a bit of wind noise but nothing too terrible to complain about.
I have only tried the screen on the highest setting so far but can definitely say the improvement is caste.
I have tried various positions with the angle of the screen and the deflector whilst the whole screen is in the highest position and the best for me is angled in the middle position with the deflector angled at the straightest and highest position. If I adjust the angle to the lowest I get clean air in the face, if the angle is straightest its a bit noise.
I will of course try the whole screen in the lower positions and play with the angles but I am so pleased with the improvement I know I can revert back to the current position.
Fantastic!!!!!!
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2014, 09:19:40 »
In addition.

I am now selling the Suzuki touring screen that I previously purchased only a few weeks ago. It was purchased directly from Suzuki so is a genuine part and has only done less than 100 miles so is in perfect condition.

If anyone is interested please let me know

Oddbod
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Hilldweller

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:05 »
Quote from: "oddbod"
SOLVED!!!!
Fantastic!!!!!!

I do hope so, I've been dithering, ordered now.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2014, 14:30:08 »
Oddbod, did you fit the MRA Vario Touring screen or the spoiler/deflector? If the former, do you not suffer more from turbulence from vehicles in front of you on the motorways and dual carriageways?

Offline oddbod

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 15:11:49 »
Hi Simon,

I fitted the MRA Touting Screen with the spoiler attached as one. All is fine but to be honest but I haven't tried it behind vehicles on a dual cariageway/motorway yet. With your comment in mind I will try first chance I get and report back.

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed it won't apply to me
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Hilldweller

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2014, 16:16:57 »
Quote from: "oddbod"
Hi Simon,

I fitted the MRA Touting Screen with the spoiler attached as one. All is fine but to be honest but I haven't tried it behind vehicles on a dual cariageway/motorway yet.

Now you tell me !

SORTED you said, I've got it in writing.

Luckily I bought the touring screen  :grin:

Offline oddbod

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 17:24:55 »
To avoid any confusion, this is the one I fitted lol. Is fine behind cars etc on country lanes so will try on dual carriageway asap and report back.

it'll be fine I'm sure lol

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Suzuki_ ... reens.html
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Hilldweller

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2014, 15:02:44 »
Arrived, good service considering by Parcel Farce.

Fitted, then Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down Up Down the dual carriageway.

Being on a madstad bracket I guess I have 50 base settings for starters, that can be refined when close.

An hour of 0..80 ( indicated of course ) adjust and I'm still not there. Not bad but still want better.

Anyone considering this package, the MRA screen is very very similar to the stock Suzuki one and the Suzuki one is properly molded with thick round edges. You can buy the flip top and save money. Though I have to say the tinted one ( stock item ) does look good.

Lots of miles this weekend so plenty of time to play.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2014, 00:42:56 »
I've never got to sweet point with MRA on my Glee (MRA Touring with laminar lip). That's why it's laying on my shelf now and I've ended up with Givi Airflow.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2014, 11:01:37 »
although the mra touring screen + spoiler looks very similar to the Suzuki stcok screen, there are differences and these differences do make a lot of difference to the airflow (well, for me anyway).
MRA screen channels the air up the middle of the screen thus allowing the spoiler to do its job. It is also wider than the stock Suzuki screen with differing angles of deflection.
Overall the improved airlow resulting in far less buffeting (for me) is an absolute pleasure. I can even adjust the spoiler to have a nice flow of clean air into my face if desired (for hot days this will be more than welcome).
For the first time since purchasing the new strom I can ride above 30 mph with my visor open if I want to but more importantly I do not have double vision when doing anything above 60mph.
Appreciate there are mixed results with the MRA on various models but for me I am more than happy with it. Aprilia Tourono mirrors have contributed mildy.
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)