Author Topic: New vStrom Buffeting issue  (Read 13050 times)

Offline oddbod

New vStrom Buffeting issue
« on: April 09, 2014, 15:49:12 »
Not sure whether anyone else is experiencing an issue with buffeting on the new strom but I certainly am.

Anyway, taking into account the cost of the motorcycle with accessories I can't help but feel a little disgruntled at the prospect of forking out for a touring screen to fix a problem that isn't mine. (I prev had the 650 strom and had no issues whatsoever).

I have contacted Suzuki to raise my grievance and here is their reply:
==============
We have forwarded your contact internally to our Technical Department who can confirm that we are not aware of any known manufacturing concerns similar to those reported in your e-mail. Moving forward we would recommend that you liaise with a Suzuki Dealer who will be best placed to test your motorcycle and should they feel your machine is not performing in line with the manufacturers expectations they can progress further with any necessary repairs or modifications. In terms of your reference to the touring screen accessory we can confirm that the fitment of such an item would be down to customer preference.
==============

After the above response, esp the last line. I am even more disgruntled that they are suggesting adding a touring screen as a customer preference, when in fact it is required more as a necessity.

After calling them, they simply re-iterated their comments and are adamant that they have received no complaints from any dealers whatsoever.

I am more than happy to pursue this issue further with Suzuki but wouldn't mind establishing whether anyone else is having the same issue and if so perhaps it's worth us all complaining to our dealer until Suzuki recognise there is an issue. Until then I guess we will all have to purchase the optional touring screen to fix what is clearly a Suzuki issue (unless I am the only one experiencing this for some reason).

Any feedback would be welcome blokes n gals
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline frez

Re: New vStrom Buffeting issue
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 15:55:28 »
It is disappointing that the problem is present on the new model, but I think it is a case of form over function as far as the screen goes with all new bikes.

They could put a screen similar to the Givi Airflow on all bikes, but it looks a bit pants, so they put on one that looks the part but doesn't work effectively.

Suzuki are not alone in this, the S10 is just as bad with the stock screen, as are other bikes.

I don't think you will get anywhere with Suzuki so you will just have to suck it up.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline oddbod

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 16:03:28 »
Thanks for your reply frez.

I had a feeling the concensus might go that way.

I will hang on for other replies in a vain hope though lol
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 16:19:54 »
I have just arrived home from a trip to the Motorcycle museum at Birmingham on my new DL1000, Unfortunately from where I live its motorways each way. M69, M6 and M42 going and M42 home a total of about 120 miles to be honest I deliberately went motorway. We had a very good ride as I was trying to see if the luggage effected stability at speed.

We were two up with the Suzuki side luggage on and a Give 54 ltr top box. Screen is set at the highest setting where Redcar's set it and in the most forward position.

I must so that I am entirely pleased as the bike was stable and no buffeting and I cruised at an indicated 90 mph. Now ready for Belgium next week.

Hope you sort yourself out, possibly just requires the screen setting.
 :)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 16:35:24 »
There you go, Suzuki will point to feedback by owners like Ziggy and say there is no design fault.

Some people are more conscious of buffeting than others, and much will also depend on the height of your torso and the type of helmet you have.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 16:40:59 »
When I test rode the new 1000 I noticed that there wasn't the buffeting present that was instantly apparent on the new 650 I tested before I bought mine. I've changed the screen angle and mirrors on my 650 to ease the buffeting, I wouldn't need to touch the 1000 set up, it was fine.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 17:00:24 »
On the Stromtroopers forum this is a thread I started to see what problems people were reporting:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/2014-v-stro ... hread.html

then have a look at the Wee / Glee and Vee to see how many posts for them.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 17:12:13 »
interesting and varied replies.....many thanks blokes.

I have tried all the 9 settings with the screen to no avail.

I am 6ft tall, standard seat and wear a Shark Evoline 3 helmet.

Am going to tape 50cm of plastic to the top of the screen to test whether a touring screen will help before purchasing it.

Have also looked at the bolt on screen spoiler at http://www.bikeHPS.com http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA_X-creen_Motorcycle_Screen_Flip_Spoiler_Air_Deflector.html as this will extend the existing screen by up to 90cm as opposed to 50cm with the Suzuki screen.

I guess I will have to update you blokes with my results
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline ziggy

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 17:30:38 »
Oddbod in my case I was 5'11" but shrinking, I have the high seat and I am fat 17 stone 12lb.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 19:12:43 »
Try it without the mirrors on before you start spending money.

Hilldweller

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 21:52:05 »
Quote from: "oddbod"
I have contacted Suzuki to raise my grievance and here is there reply:
==============
We have forwarded your contact internally to our Technical Department who can confirm that we are not aware of any known manufacturing concerns similar to those reported in your e-mail. Moving forward we would recommend that you liaise with a Suzuki Dealer who will be best placed to test your motorcycle and should they feel your machine is not performing in line with the manufacturers expectations they can progress further with any necessary repairs or modifications. In terms of your reference to the touring screen accessory we can confirm that the fitment of such an item would be down to customer preference.
==============

What an insult to you and all owners, the whole world knows they've screwed up.

So far I've bought a madsky bracket and improved things a lot but not good enough, in the post is a pair of Tuono mirrors. I hope that finalises the cure, otherwise it's more money on a different screen.

At least mine was second hand and I bought knowing the buffeting. But a new bike, many years in production, you have every right to expect better.

Emails to the CEOs of big companies can work miracles. Now if you emailed Japan and said Suzuki UK is dishonouring the good name of Suzuki by lying, that could have interesting results.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 22:07:59 »
This all sounds just like the threads we were posting in when the Glee came out...

The 800 Tiger screen is rubbish for me too, it's not just Suzuki.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 22:43:55 »
My Triumph Tiger 1050 was unbearable for me until I changed to an MRA Vario Screen which resolved all issues instantly.

I bought a new DL1000 in 2005 and had to play around with a Madstad, tall Givi Screens and the Mirrors before the buffeting was cured.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 06:58:40 »
Let's face it, everyone is a different size and shape. A screen that is suitable for me would be too wide and too tall for most people and it detracts from the look of the bike. They plan for the average Joe and what keeps the bike attractive (eye of the beholder and all that) after that it is down to personal choice. Perhaps dealers should stock a range of screens for to try? Great for the person who buys it new but the second hand buyer is then stuck with the choices the first owner made, but that has always been the case!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Jacko

New vStrom Buffeting issue
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 07:14:58 »
I tend to agree, one of those mahoosive Givi Airflows would be no good for me, I prefer small subtle screens, not in Your face 'look at me I'm right in your field of view making a big song and dance about being a massive screen' screens.

Offline cpjs

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:32 »
Hi oddbod,

in your OP you say you had no probs with your 650 screen, most people found it to to be complete poo !
If you had been on the development team for the '14 DL1000 screen all those who think it fine now would probably be sending Suzuki emails asking how did they get it so wrong.

Some they fit some they don't.
Too young to be in care, too old to remember why.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 08:57:14 »
I tend to agree that there is a huge individual element to buffeting: I have tried all sorts of screens on the wee, madstad, different mirrors etc. Also I discovered that (for me) I hate looking through a tall screen, so that's out. Mirrors did nowt for me, but the madstad made a difference - but the biggest difference was my helmet - the first time I wore my second helmet (a cheapo Nitro) the buffeting virtually disappeared!

No one knows what combination of factors will work for you on your Vee...it's bloody annoying for you, but at least you have plenty ideas to experiment with from this forum alone! Let us know what happens, oddbod :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Bobstar222

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:00 »
I moved my screen to the highest position and have no problems now and mirrors OK for me.The bike still impressing me can't keep off it.

Offline ziggy

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 13:13:03 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
==============
==============

What an insult to you and all owners, the whole world knows they've screwed up.

So far I've bought a madsky bracket and improved things a lot but not good enough, in the post is a pair of Tuono mirrors. I hope that finalises the cure, otherwise it's more money on a different screen.

At least mine was second hand and I bought knowing the buffeting. But a new bike, many years in production, you have every right to expect better.

Emails to the CEOs of big companies can work miracles. Now if you emailed Japan and said Suzuki UK is dishonouring the good name of Suzuki by lying, that could have interesting results.

Where is the insult? You are out of order as I am sure that I am not the only one that is more than satisfied with my DL1000 ABS as I was with the DL650. As far as I am concerned if you want Aprilla mirrors go buy an Aprilla.

Simples.

Hilldweller

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 14:16:11 »
Quote from: "ziggy"
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
==============
We have forwarded your contact internally to our Technical Department who can confirm that we are not aware of any known manufacturing concerns similar to those reported in your e-mail.
==============
What an insult to you and all owners, the whole world knows they've screwed up..
Where is the insult?

The internet is full of people who have buffeting problems. We have many in here. There are loads of solutions on sale. Suzuki say that they are not aware of this. So either they lie or they do not monitor what users think of their machines. Either way I'd call that insulting.

If it works for you fine, you are one of the lucky ones, enjoy it a lot. Which is just what the unlucky ones want.

Me, I've just fitted the pattern Aprilia mirrors. I'll do some serious testing tomorrow.

The only bike I've ever had to modify for wind was an ER6n which had no wind protection but the speed to need it, a Power Bronze screen worked a treat on that. I did change the mirrors on an FZ750 because all I could see was my elbows, not good on a bike that nippy.