Author Topic: Would you go?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
Would you go?
« on: March 12, 2014, 19:16:46 »
Right, as with all such important decisions I am going to open this one up to a forum of people I have mostly never met and don't really know  :crazy:

Tomorrow I have a job interview. Yesterday I kicked off with my boss and told him where to shove his pointless crappy job. Today they offered me an alternative job I really want to try and will take. So, choice:

1. Turn up to the interview, go through the motions, not burn bridges etc.
2. Turn up and pretend I've applied for a different job to the one advertised, now want to be called Zog the merciless except on Tuesdays when it'll be Doris, ask to be paid directly into a special account in Nigeria, decline the cuppa and crack a can of Special Brew , tell them that in ten years time I see myself as emperor of the great space-time continuum etc.
3. Politely decline, save everyone the time and effort and go ride the bike.
4. Just don't turn up and go ride the bike.
5. Other

4 Doesn't appeal although I've known plenty do it and hacking off a really **** job agency is tempting. 2 is tempting but I fancy the ride out. I know 1 is the sensible answer but I didn't get where I am today by sensibility.

Andy

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Would you go?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 19:22:42 »
1) is the sensible answer as bridges are important.

Then go for a ride.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 19:28:21 »
It's 2, obviously. Though until I abdicate you can't be emperor...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 19:40:43 »
tell them to stick it as far up the bumhole as they can safely get it....Life is too short to spend time just going through the motions and being unhappy.. I gave up my big salary, company car, bupa etc etc.. poorer for sure, happier definately

oops I've been drinking again !!!!!

hello my name is Dave and I'm an alcoholic  :shy:

Offline IanP

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 19:42:42 »

It pays for the fuel to go for a ride  :auto-dirtbike:
XVS 1300 - DL650 V-Strom
Royal British Legion Riders http://www.rblr.co.uk

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 20:17:11 »
Er, do you actually enjoy interviews, andy? Unless you do, or think you could do with the practice, or need a bargaining chip - why put yourself to the hassle?
Forget going through the motions - that's for pathologists.

:shrug:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 20:19:31 »
1  Jobs are harder to  come by now a days ad as mentioned before it will pay for many more rides ahead

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 20:29:19 »
I've got too little info to offer any advice, but would like to know what you decide and how the interview really went after it's done.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 21:00:49 »
5. Other.

You said you really want to try the other job and would take it, so...

Be clear about your objective and what you want and don't want. Most people aren't clear about this (in all sorts of situations), consequently go at things half-cocked, and then end up partially or totally disappointed.

Then turn up to the interview and focus on meeting your objective.

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 21:01:43 »
If you are taking the new job offer where you are why would you go to another interview?
Option 3 doesn't burn bridges (unless you do it regularly) - and you get a ride on the Bike. You know it makes sense!!

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 21:39:48 »
Who's to say if you went for the interview you would be successful and be offered the job.  :shrug:
If it were me...
1. Go for it and try and get it and if you do then take it.  :obscene-drinkingchug:
You've already told them to stick it, you may well just tell them to stick it again.  :shock:
Good luck in what ever you do and have a nice ride out  :thumb:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 21:41:03 »
I worked for a shiyt company [s:23cwi052]Poundstrechers[/s:23cwi052]
got fecked off with threats from head office... "do this and that or have a disciplinary, work 70 hours a weeks and like it or get out the door..." No morals or care for staff in the stores.
it made many of my fellow managers ill, Stress, Depression, anxiety attacks along with me being signed sick for stress.
I couldn't stand the company any longer, but waited until the Area manager, regional manager and CEO were in my store the following week.
Pulled out my sick note, handed it to the CEO, pulled out my store keys and the resignation letter stating the company was making me Ill and I was considering legal action due to the company's treatment and I had copies of documents threatening disciplinary action unless managers took it upon themselves to work 80+ hours a week, not declaring hours over the 37.5 contracted, work as lone workers due to staff hour cut backs and threats to be fired under misconduct heading if not simultaneously on the shop floor, at front door greeting every customer, checking off delivery, at tills and in the office doing all the paperwork. :shrug:

I then grabbed my bag (stashed by the tills) swaggered out of the door, shouted "I'm free!" and punched the air.

Apparently it didn't go down too well with the CEO  :text-datsphatyo:  :clap:

But...

the job market isn't exacty fantastic atm, don't go throwing in the towel without  another job to walk into. it took me 3 months to find another job, while the mrs was in uni, so sod all money coming in.
And the job I was offered was sheer luck the bloke interviewing me I'd refused to refund his money for a DVD player he'd bought from me while I was Deputy Manager at a ShiytStrecher store local to him. But he said later I'd given good service, but the company policy made him angry.  :shrug:
So luck played a big part.
Jobs have always fallen in my lap, but I won't be walking out again, It's just to much of a risk, and my luck is bound to run out at some point.

saying that I've always kept my ear to the ground while in this job I enjoy, just incase the grass IS greener. Doesn't hurt to find out what offer is on the table, and even if you don't want the job you're interviewed for, it's always practice for the interview for the job you do want.   :thumb:

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 21:50:22 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
even if you don't want the job you're interviewed for, it's always practice for the interview for the job you do want.
:text-goodpost:  :text-+1:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 22:01:50 »
Life is too short to spend a minute longer than absolutely necessary working in any job, and certainly not in one that you don't enjoy. Now that I've had paid off my mortgage, I do as little as I can get away with, without lowering the standards to which I've become accustomed.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 22:04:40 »
Quote from: "Hugo Magnus"
Life is too short to spend a minute longer than absolutely necessary working in any job, and certainly not in one that you don't enjoy. Now that I've had paid off my mortgage, I do as little as I can get away with, without lowering the standards to which I've become accustomed.

:thumb: +1

Offline Andy M

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:17:08 »
Apologies if the original post wasn't too clear, some seem to think the interview is for the job I want. It isn't, I've already taken that. I'm fortunate in that jobs usually are easy for me to get, at least with awful, badly run, about to go bust companies that will claim they want to improve at the interview. (They are like fat people joining a gym at the point they want my particular brand of chaos; fine until it actually comes to giving up the pies and doing stuff that involves sweating and getting out of breath). My HGV ticket is the second safety net, one I'd recommend for anyone who occasionally tells the boss where to go.

Much as I enjoy a nice pointless interview * I've gone with the old Sunday papers "made my excuses and left". Boring eh.

(*)In my time I've interviewed a Malcolm who wanted to be a Maureen, one who didn't see not speaking any English as a barrier to his career and one who thought his CV should double as his training plan/first novel. I wanted to give Malcolm/Maureen the job but the MD bottled it. Polish Pete was like a something out of Fawlty Towers as even getting a Polish supervisor in from the production area to translate ( I wanted to know why the job agency sent him) hardly worked. He apparently had an accent so rural it could only be used to describe farming practices involving bovine waste. Ten minutes of rapid and slightly heated Polish discussion eventually translated as "Stupid man not understand question, waste time, we send away now" made me smile . The chap who made up the gaps in his CV from possibly real life box moving in a warehouse, via a job on an assembly line he might have actually seen to the point of becoming a design engineer on electronics who used felt tip pens and had a basket ball hoop in his office was just weird and possibly drug related.

Off for that ride  :auto-dirtbike:

Andy

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:46:18 »
Sorry but I have to know. What is your skill set? You have a HGV licence, you know more about ABS systems than anyone else! I just got to know! What job did you tell them to shove, what have they offered you instead and what is the job you are potentially interviewing for but don't want?? My interest had been piqued beyond merely curious now!  Incidentally, I still stand by option 2. You strike me as the kind of fella who could actually pull that off in an interview! Whichever way you go I wish you luck. You have the kind of guts I can only dream of.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:51 »
He can't answer that right now, he's out riding his bike!

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 09:56:38 »
Quote from: "Rusty Nuts"
He can't answer that right now, he's out riding his bike!

........But when you do get an answer it will be very comprehensive (verbose) :neen:

Have a good ride Andy
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Andy M

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 12:47:14 »
Excuse bad spellinmg etc. grease from my fish and chips and the phone screen are not a good combo. :)

I got the HGV ticket while testing ABS on trucks seconf job after uni. weirdly as part of sales team. Moved from there to project management and then into pumps and liquid flow stuff. You can't do trucks without picking up lean management. The so called skill set amounts to organisation, picking out the techno stuff engineers talk and adding fashionable management buzz words. No engineering company did enough traning for years so I'm at the top age end of a skills shortage. New job is just a newer project. do a CAD or CNC course and you.ll have skills that sell and move with you.  don't let your kids learn media studies.

Right, drink this tea then point the wee towards home in time for a swift half or three before the wife gets home. Today is a good day.  :)
No chance of verbosr on tap screen  ###  lol  :)

Andy