Author Topic: Still running in but...[1st owner report!?]  (Read 18506 times)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
Re: Still running in but...[1st owner report!?]
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2014, 20:18:26 »
Ah the Chipmunk, a wonderful aeroplane  :clap:

Knocking around 50mpg isn't too shabby with a 20 litre tank. I had a Firestorm which after 100 miles I was really looking hard for a petrol station, and I wasn't a hard rider.

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 06:56:41 »
Quote from: "wunwinglow"
I beg to differ. This happens when the bike is under load or not. Slowly drop the rev, in neutral, and as the needle passes 2100 or thereabouts, it drops, instantly, to 1100 or thereabouts. It runs happily either side, just not between.

Others have noted the abruptness at low revs:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/2082225-post49.html

Offline greywolf

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 12:40:46 »
Patient - It hurts when I do this.

Doctor - Don't do that.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2014, 17:23:03 »
Mine is showing 53 mpg no intention of checking fill to fill.
The range display is a good tool but gets a bit erratic when you get down to the 50 mile range ish.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Mannakin

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:41 »
Quote from: "Oop North John"
Quote from: "wunwinglow"
I beg to differ. This happens when the bike is under load or not. Slowly drop the rev, in neutral, and as the needle passes 2100 or thereabouts, it drops, instantly, to 1100 or thereabouts. It runs happily either side, just not between.

Others have noted the abruptness at low revs:

Try repeating the exercise, but pull the clutch in and put the bike in 4th or 5th. There are different mappings I believe.

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2014, 17:21:07 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Patient - It hurts when I do this.

Doctor - Don't do that.

Best tell Cycle World as well then:

viewtopic.php?f=108&t=22106

The torque curve is pretty interesting in the review, pity they didn't do through the gears maps.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 17:27:40 »
Everybody reviewing has reported that jump in the rev range. All I'm saying is that isn't going to change and the rider can compensate. CW mentions that will take place, that the rider shouldn't have to account for it, but that's the way it is and it isn't going to be that hard to deal with.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2014, 18:21:52 »
I wonder if it's similar to a problem I'm sure Yamaha bikes and also BM GS's had where adding a resistor into the fueling system fooled the bike into thinking it was colder than it actually was, so added a little more fuel, and that reduced any abruptness. If it is, it as an easy plug and play fix.

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 18:43:37 »
I am with Greywolf on this its there but not an issue.

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline oddbod

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 18:39:15 »
Hmmmm not sure if its a coincidence or not but I had my panniers fitted today and asked the dealer to tighten the chain (whilst I order a 36mm socket for the rear wheel nut).

Riding around today the abruptness when shutting off the throttle seemed a lot less. It cld be that I've got more used to it to be honest but it did cross my mind whether a tighter chain has made it a tad smoother. The adjustment is 20mm play now as opposed to prev being 30mm.

Just a thought!
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline 55JAMPOT

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 15:07:15 »
Reading all the replies re the new vee inspires me to post my thoughts.
Got a 2012 glee abs model at the moment, had a K2 vee before that and posted several times re the down sizing, have of lately felt that I need a bit more ommph (for over taking safely you understand), so I tried the BMW F800GT thinking it might fit the role, middle weight 90bhp, horrible vibey motor at 'motorway' speeds, nice below that speed however, brakes felt like they were oscillating at times, clutch rattled once warm like a old Ducati dry clutch and fuelling was very very jerky on part  throttle when warm, was then persuaded to try a R1200GSTE, difficult to fault really, being picky I could say the gearchange was a bit clonky low down but it still feels like VERY a big bus that can do almost anything at a considerable price......so I tried the new vee yesterday, was generally very impressed with it, great smooth engine, never noticed the reported rev drop off, buffeting of my helmet was actually mainly noise cured by earplugs (same as old vee and glee), screen best in mid postion, handled really well to the point where I 'had' to smoke that triumph ST through the twisty bits, so I thinking as I was finishing off my ride that I would much prefer the vee over the R1200 whilst trying to ignore the vast price difference.
Jumped back on the glee to go home and that ALDI (or LIDL, whatever) advert sprang to mind ' I LIKE THIS ONE BUT I LIKE THIS ONE TOO!!' Lighter than the vee, softer ride, just as roomy, better fuel consumption (have 66mpg) and probable not a lot different to cover the same distance from A to B on real roads.
Could I be wanting to change for change sake, probable. :shrug:

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2014, 11:47:49 »
Actual mileage on a 305mile run up the Fosse Way to Oakham and back to Bristol,  48.8 mpg. Roads were clear, weather was everything from brilliant sunshine to 3 inch drifts of hail at one point,  a mix of A roads, some country twisties, a bit on the A14, and 15 minutes trying to get around the centre of Oakham, as they had closed the road either side of the railway crossing! As usual I seem to get within a mile of my destination in plenty of time, then get completely lost in the last 5 minutes!

Anyway, a real world trip, thoroughly enjoyed it, bike handled the trip really well, I'm still chuffed to bits with it. However, I am starting to get a bit irritated with Suzuki, who STILL haven't got all the bits sent to Frasers yet, so I am STILL waiting for my panniers, top box, tank bag and fog lights.

And The fuelling between 2400 and 1100 revs is still wrong. You only really notice it at very low speeds, and in 1st or second gear, Just EXACTLY when you need decent control of the machine. Example, turning right on a roundabout, having enough to think about what with other traffic, gravel, shoulder checks, IPSGA of course. Thinking the bike might spit you over the handle bars at any moment is not exactly conducive to a smooth ride.
I don't care what anyone else says, this is an issue and it needs fixing.

Oh, one other thing, still too many fixings are NOT stainless. Nowadays there is absolutely no reason why a bike should go white and furry at the first sign of rain. Mine was ACF 50 treated soon after purchase, but even in those few days the rot had started. Penny pinching, I presume.  I'm keeping the ACF50 topped up!

Tim

Offline Bobstar222

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2014, 15:19:46 »
Tim I can't feel the problem you talk about when the revs drop. In the situation with the roundabout I have a finger covering the clutch and seem to keep everything smooth. The revs never seem to drop to 1000 rpm when on the move. I've got 450 miles on it now in a week and a half and still happy with it.

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2014, 23:04:30 »
I'll rig my vid camera on my helmet and film this.

Watch this space. Well, don't actually watch THIS space, wait until you see a post from me with a Youtube space in it..

Tim

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2014, 21:01:21 »
Can I report a massive improvement by adjusting the Throttle sensor, as has been mentioned by a couple of other posters,although mine went to 29 degrees, and I think for my bike this is a tad too much, as now the revs bounce up to 1800 when in neutral, and back down to 1150 when 1st is selected. Also, I noticed only this afternoon that I can't change the traction control setting, it just flashes, which the manual suggests is it thinks the throttle isn't fully closed.

But the improvement in control is like being on a different bike. While Frasers was working on mine I took out their demo, and the difference was very striking, so clearly there is some variation in how the bikes are being set up.

Anyway, I am now within 1% of being completely delighted with my bike, and that last percent is due to the panniers and top box being a bit small for longer distance touring. That said, I was at Touratech last week, and they are preparing a range of accessories for the bike, so hopefully even that will get sorted sooner or later.

Tim P

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2014, 21:28:06 »
Perhaps you should take it back and see if they can bump it down just enough so you can change the traction control?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2014, 21:35:12 »
Can you change it with the engine off but ignition on?

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2014, 02:23:37 »
Simon, I'll try tomorrow, but as Juvecu suggests, I'll get it tweaked back a fraction next time I can get a morning off work and pop up to Gloucester.  I will report back what happens.

Tim

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2014, 17:12:52 »
No, TC won't change even when the engine is off. I hope to get this sorted when Frasers slightly one-adjust the throttle sensor.

Tim

Offline wunwinglow

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2014, 18:18:49 »
Hmmm. TPS adjusted back a bit, and while I can now change the TC setting, and the idle is back to something normal, I am back with the dreaded revs drop at 2400 revs. I was starting to get a bit fed up with it, but having seen oddbods post and his revelation after getting the ECU remapped at Hilltop, I'm going directly down that route!!

I have been out on the bike in the meantime though...

Tim