Author Topic: What will you be riding in five years time?  (Read 8506 times)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
What will you be riding in five years time?
« on: February 15, 2014, 20:55:02 »
So, what will you be riding in five years time?

If I had asked that five years ago, some of you would have said a Super 10 or a Tiger. Some of you would have said a Strom (but after trying something else and reverting). So I will ask again now .... "What will you be riding in five years time?"

If I had answered that question five years ago, then I would have said a Blackbird. My back and non-bendy middle would have soon put paid to that though. I also looked at the FJR and the Pan Euro.

Now, I think there is a strong possibility I will have a 14 year old Strom. The FJR still features, as does the GTR1400. The long shot would be a Victory Hammer, in Black!.

The longer long shot would be a Trike of some description. If I do eventually freeze solid in the middle, then a Trike would solve that problem and let me take my little lad out in safety.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: What will you be riding in five years time?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 21:10:42 »
I can't imagine getting rid of the wee in five years but I may swap the GPZ for an old Honda thumper like an XL500 or similar. I still fancy having a go at green laning but the strom is too nice for banging about off-road. I know people do use them for that quite successfully but I think the Honda would be better suited.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline SnowStrom

• Bike: None :(
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 21:16:50 »
In 5 years I'll have an aging Strom and hopefully a Street Triple as well :)

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 21:21:27 »
that's a hard one Martin . I'm waiting for the Japs to bring out the perfect Adventure bike , something like the XT900Z  . I'd then sell both my bikes if it turned out to be the bike I hope for . If they fail I think I'll still be riding a XT660Z but the Wee could well be sold and replaced with something else  :shrug:

I won't be buying a big tourer , sports tourer , sportsbike , cruiser or any custom shite . that's for sure  :)

I think I'll still be a member on here , no matter what I buy ....

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 21:33:13 »
Cracking question but difficult to answer...

I honestly wish I could take on a project and bring a bike back to life but I know my lack of knowledge and ability would mean it will end up like many other unfinished projects. I know a man with an old XT500 needing some TLC but cannot bring myself to ask about it.

So... it would have to be bike new off the shelf and I do like the look of the XT660. I'm doing my first trip abroad in May and that may lead to me wanting to do lots more so maybe something bigger than the Glee like a Super 10 or Veek perhaps.

I guess when we look back on this thread it will have been none of the above though :)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 21:35:12 »
I'm enjoying having more than one bike so I think I might just add to the collection until I see I don't ride a specific one any more and then sell that off.

I'd like to add a KTM 990 SM T ABS to the "collection", perhaps get a XT660Z and if Yamaha ever realise the rumour of the XT900Z that'll be on the list too. I still like Multistradas, but I'm not sure I can live with the awful dry clutch noise.

I'd say any of those have a possibility to be in my garage in 5 years time. I've also had the urge to build my own, but I need to buy a house first so I have the space for it and so that I can install the hydraulic lift, etc. without having to ask a landlord if it's OK each time and then having to move it at their whim.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 21:54:14 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I still like Multistradas, but I'm not sure I can live with the awful dry clutch noise.

Most sporty Dukes have had dry clutches since the 851 came out. As a friend of mine who has a 996 and has replaced his clutch three times to date as it all wears out very quickly says, "The rattling clutch is a feature not a fault". Makes the "chuddering" clutch on my Vee sound perfect.

With regard to what I will be riding in five years time? If my knees continue to deteriorate I'll probably be riding one of those bloody disabled quads, hopefully fitted with an R1 engine. If my knees hold together I'll probably buy a Honda RC30 with my pension money, but I'll need to find somewhere to hide it as her indoors will divorce me if she found out. Then again perhaps I'll just stand it on a plinth in the living room in front of the telly.....

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 21:59:01 »
Hmmm.

In five years mortgage will have been paid off, pension kicked in and kids will be independent.

Some sort of outrageously fragile Ducati it is then :)

And keep the Strom for practical purposes. :)  :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 22:06:02 »
I like to think I'll have a xt660z and a capable road bike for touring, if that's still my Glee I'll be happy, but it could equally be a new 1000 Vstrom (yep, they'll be dirt cheap in a few years, and the exhaust valve will have an easy mod to bin it) or a full on road bike, probably the new (by then) GSX1250F. Or a 1300 Pan.

Of course if a brace of 900 Adventure bikes hit reality by then it could all be different, the 900 Tenere concept looks like it could be a winner.

Offline S2Rgar

• Bike: DL1000 L9 Black - DL650 AL5 Red (SOLD) - DL650 AL3 Grey (SOLD) Suzuki GSX-S1000
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 22:19:06 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
awful dry clutch noise.

5 years ago I may have agreed with you there but now that I've got one I think they are music to my ears. Give it time Juvecu and one day I reckon you'll feel exactly the same.

Anyway..... in 5 years time I'll (hopefully) have a newer Glee, my Ducati and probably an automatic BMW. Not sure if they've been invented yet but by 2019 I'll bet they'll be readily available.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 22:41:42 »
I can say It won't be a Bavarian, or an Italian or Chinese bike.
I don't like sports bikes- my back will give out within 20mins, A cruiser isn't practical, and a purchase of a scooter will end in divorce.

A safe bet for me would be another Strom, be it a 650 of 1000  :shrug:
Or if our trips away start to get a little longer and further, I have been looking at a Pan Euro :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Descolada

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 23:43:50 »
I would like to think I will have had or be trying out the Triumph Tiger I dream about :-)

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 01:57:13 »
In December I went to Tenerife for a week and rented an XT660. It handles exceptionally well and I had smashing fun on the very, very twisty little roads. However, it has by far the roughest engine I have ever known - even compared to agricultural machinery! (that's not really a joke, it's the truth) Singles can be quite rough but I wondered if they left out the flywheel in order to save weight or something. It was great as a toy on the little roads but if you had to ride it regularly on "A" roads or motorways you would learn to hate it.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:46:49 »
I'm hoping in 5 years a new electric bike has hit the market with a 500 mile range and 200N/M of torque throughout the rev range. I'll have one of those please  :thumb:

Probably riding a crusty V-strom in reality...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 09:06:50 »
No idea. It'll be under 700cc / 70 HP, light and either a naked road bike or semi-faired adventure style. It will be serviceable at home and might even be Chinese.

I won't be my current Wee.

Andy

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 09:37:36 »
Quote from: "2112"
I'm hoping in 5 years a new electric bike has hit the market with a 500 mile range and 200N/M of torque throughout the rev range. I'll have one of those please  :thumb:

Exactly my (wishful) thinking ! Might even be an electric BMW?!
 I think I'll have independent kids and mortgage sorted etc, and will be doing more longer trips abroad with the wife and if the practical leccy options haven't appeared it might well be a 1000 abs strom...not a nailed on certainty by any means, though.

Oh, and a VanVan.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline zimcruza

• Bike: 2016 Veek
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 11:09:07 »
Doubt it'll be my current Glee, which, at 4 months, is rotting at a rate despite extreme care and attention. May be another, or the Veek.  But the more I look at the Super Ten the more I like what I see. Might be 100hp or so but I'd think the shaft does for some of those so it's not going to be a cafe racer but will be competent on a long haul, two up with luggage ...

SWMBO says her, of course :)

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 14:35:34 »
Hard to answer since things never play out like you think.  

Since I was a kid I'd always dreamed of a jag XJS.  Back in 97 I rocked up at a dealer with cash in my hand to fulfil the dream......only to discover that the design inside was a monstrosity (who puts a handbrake between the seat and door and makes you hurdle it to get in?).  A day later I had a Merc.

Then I bought a Pan for European trips only to discover it gave me such hip pain that I was more comfortable over 300 miles on my XR400 with knobblies.  A month later I had the Vee.

My best guess is that, problems aside I might just about still have the Vee (if it ain't broke don't fix it).  More focused on thinking where I might get to take it in the next 5 years  :)

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 14:47:57 »
Quote from: temporaryescapee
Hard to answer since things never play out like you think.
Ain't that the truth... 

Quote from: temporaryescapee
More focused on thinking where I might get to take it in the next 5 years  <!-- s:) -->:)<!-- s:) -->
Me too!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 15:47:27 »
If things go to plan, a Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom and hopefully something like a Super 10 as well. Also, depending on circumstances at the time possibly something for commuting too... something like a Honda NC700X or a BMW (yeah yeah, I know) Sertao. Or maybe an electric bike if they're cheap enough by then!