Author Topic: What will you be riding in five years time?  (Read 8502 times)

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: What will you be riding in five years time?
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2022, 12:28:45 »
I was 76 in august. my 16k vstrom 650 is stripped down in my garage. valve clearances checked,OK.waiting for air filter and plugs before I put it back together. fresh anti freeze and oil/filter change and it should be good till 30k+ apart from routine servicing. will I be here and riding when that mileage comes around? who knows.

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2022, 06:39:41 »
Bikes that are currently taking my interest
Ducati Desert X
Honda CRF 300 Rally
and you never know, I might even get the VF750 project complete by then too!!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2022, 08:24:17 »
I said I'd likely be on a strom of some description.

I did try, when my k6 Wee died I went out hunting, but as it's my only transport at the time I needed something asap and abusing her brand new Enfield Bullet 500 before she'd passted her test an even ridden it was a no go.

There only seemed to be new stroms or wrecks going for top money.

Bumped into a bloke I vaguely knew on a Varadero who said there was a nice one for sale in JT's Swansea.

5 hours after the Wee spat out it's gearbox a replacement was found. 7 years later I'm still on the Varadero with no plans to change.

I can say with certainty there is nothing on the market (new) that would tempt me away from the Varadero.

The new stroms, like most bike now, are too dummed down and refined. There's no excitment, no rawness, eveything has been sterilised and covered in cottenwool.
I don't like the technology inbuilt to modern bikes, it's training a generation of bikers to rely on the tech to save them and who have little to no feel for riding.

I wouldn't mind adding a VFR800 (2001-12) to the stable for a plaything in the next 5 years.

SWMBO's GSX14 isn't going anywhere as she's back in the saddle.

Ride Coordinator

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2022, 16:17:59 »
I'm 63, I'll be 64 in February so in five years I fancy I'll still be an active rider.

With luck the 650 VStrom will still be going strong but I think I may well have something electric too.

At present the choices are limited, I wouldn't own a Zero as I don't like the way they do business. Energica and Live Wire are still way too pricy but that will change and the charging infrastructure will also have to change. The video's by Teapot One and Marc Travels show how hit or miss it is in the UK at present. If the supermarkets are smart they will jump all over this, Lidl seem to be will ahead at present, it won't take the others long to catch up.

So, summat electric.... maybe.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2022, 19:44:13 »
Since retiring earlier this year I have offloaded my bike collection and have just one now, a 2014 NC750X manual with 72K miles. It was a bargain and makes complete sense as I don’t ride as much now and don’t want a depreciating asset languishing in the garage. In 5 years I will probably be on something smaller and lower as my hips are going to hurt as I still play footy regularly. I will probably seek out a nice Suzuki GW250 as I had one recently and it was perfect for such criteria and still has room for the odd time the Mrs jumps on the back. I can’t see me not having a bike at all. I still love it when I am on it, but don’t have so many reasons to ride these days.

Offline Malfos

• Bike: Honda Forza 300
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2022, 16:23:08 »
At 72 yrs old, and with sore soles and heels, I am struggling to ride motorcycles anymore after 56 years, due to pain in the bottom of my feet. I have had the problem long term, but it  has only bothered me on bikes for the past few years. Had a pre reg 650 V Strom earlier this year  (my 3rd) but quickly sold it, due to the above problem. I am comfortable on twist and go scooters ( I ride a Honda 300 Forza) with no gears to change, and flat "floorboards" that don't dig into my feet, like narrow footrests do. I also just bought last week a Honda NC 700S DCT, thinking I would be alright on that
but my feet flared up with a vengeance again after riding it, so that is up for sale on Autotrader. I will post it on the for sale site, here. I enjoy riding the Forza, and get my "motorcycling fix" from that, so I will stick to twist and go scooters - and that is what I will be riding in 5yrs time, a twist and go scooter.

Offline Fossie

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2022, 20:01:29 »
If still working a v strom ...but personal bikes will still be my Katana's, 2 of them I've had for 30 years , the rest 15 years ...all starting to be free tax and MoT .. Use 1 or 2.each year to go to Europe and rallies as well as the shops .
 No silly sensors , unhelpful gadgets ,  and come back into  style fashion every so often :smirk: