Author Topic: new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Seigi

new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?
« on: February 15, 2014, 16:25:35 »
So I finally got my anakee 3's fitted and one of the first things I've noticed after fitting them is that the bike feels more difficult to move. I don't know if it's because the bike feels heavier, or the brakes rubbing or because there's more grip on the tyres but there's something about the bike which feels different since changing  the tyres, different in the sense that it's harder to push.

Is this normal? Or am I just imagining it?

Offline frez

Re: new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 16:30:03 »
It would normally feel lighter, so check your brakes.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 16:49:26 »
Have a good check to make sure everything has been torqued up correctly. There are some gorilla's out there... It could be brakes, give them a check over too. I remember you posted it was ride in ride out - have they got all the spacers the right way round ? Has the chain been over tensioned ?
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 16:56:59 »
Check the pressures.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 17:19:59 »
Did you get the right bike back  lol
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 17:42:26 »
First thing is to check tyre pressures  as per KLV above and then check that both wheels turn without binding.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 17:48:05 »
I checked the pressure as that was my initial thought and they are fine. I've just got back from a 15mileish ride to test the tyres proper and I noticed the bike was easier to push after I'd ridden it, what's that a symptom of?

Chain also feels fine from just wiggling it on it's side stand, what do you mean by spacers? Where? He changed the back brake pads and cleaned the calipers at same time, I've notice there's no rubbing on the back brake anymore so I don't think it could be that, and I can't hear any rubbing on the front brake but I don't have a front stand to test the front wheel.

From what I can tell it's been left out in the rain (I left it overnight as the tyres didn't arrive til late), but prior to taking it in I cleaned and waxed the chain so I didn't think it could that the chain had lost it's lubricant, maybe I'll give the chain another spray.

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 18:01:12 »
Quote from: "Seigi"
what do you mean by spacers? Where?

The wheel spacers, either side of the wheels can (if you are a complete tool) be fitted the wrong way, meaning the wheel is offset in either the forks or swinging arm. I have seen this done by a 'pro' and it's amazing the bike can even move at all. It sounds like you may have just had some light surface rust on the discs from standing overnight.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 18:01:55 »
New fresh rubber is always grippier (is that a word), you might just be feeling a little more adhesion and a slight difference in the profile of the tyre.   :shrug:

If all else checks out OK, that might explain it.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 18:13:22 »
It could just be that KLV-Rider, my old tyres had about as much grip as wearing shoes on ice (or so it felt) I would frequently feel the rear wheel sliding along the road under braking. I'll give the wheel spacers a look though, I've noticed he's zealously greased the bolts in the axle though, I initially thought it was rust until I smeared it on my fingers :(

Offline greywolf

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 18:22:18 »
The spacer inside the sprocket carrier needs to be installed so the large end is on the sprocket side. It can be wrongly installed on the wheel side. If installed backwards, it can destroy the left side rear wheel bearing.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Seigi

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 18:38:42 »
I'll try and have a look tomorrow when it's light, and if I can't make anything of it I'll take some pictures and post them on here, I'm sure you blokes would be able to ascertain if it is correct or not.

On the plus side though, the tyres do definitely feel smoother on the road surface than the tourances, they also feel stickier, I thought new tyres were supposed to have some sort of slippery compound on it, but I've not experienced that at all.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 19:19:51 »
My money is on surface rust on the discs as you left it in the rain just before. I don't think you will see the problem again (unless you leave it in the rain again).
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 19:25:15 »
I thought new tyres were supposed to have some sort of slippery compound on it, but I've not experienced that at all.

Modern moulding techniques have pretty much done away with the liberal release agent that used to be applied but still worth bedding in so you get a feel for them before giving it some banzai. :auto-dirtbike:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 20:25:07 »
When I got rid of the old tyres on my strom for new anakee2's, I nearly pushed the bike into the garage wall it was so easy to push! I think it was on account of the old ones being squared-off so a larger surface for friction in contact with the ground. Your new ones will be nice and rounded so pushing should be easier...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda SH300i squirt and go...!!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 20:51:12 »
hi,
firstly, when calipers are removed, cleaned and new pads fitted there will always be a bedding in period until the pads have worn in to your disc and the calipers has centralised properly after wheels are removed resulting in some minor binding of the brakes.  
secondly,when fitting a rear tyre on modern bikes there is no need to disturb the chain adjusters, the wheel will go back in exactly the same position (unless chain is real loose) therefore, not causing any drag neither will New tyres.
The fact that you went for a 15mile ride seemed to sort the problem suggests the former.

Enjoy the anakee 3s .... :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
new tyres, bike feels more difficult to move?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:44 »
Quote from: "Mr Nick"

Modern moulding techniques have pretty much done away with the liberal release agent that used to be applied but still worth bedding in so you get a feel for them before giving it some banzai. :auto-dirtbike:

The bed-in period seats the tyre on the rim properly too, it's not just about scrubbing the tyre. It's possible to spin the rear rim within the tyre with all that tyre soap still present.

This is why I prefer the term bed in to scrub in.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 11:00:40 »
Checked this morning, spacer is on sprocket side so all good there. I think it's the front brakes though, last night I couldn't hear the front brakes binding but this morning I can, seems when it heats up it contracts enough that it rotates freely but when cold it's expanded too much and presses against disc.

The mechanic did say that the brake pads were wearing on an angle on the front disc, and I can see that myself too, and that the front caliper wanted cleaned and new brake pads. Is this an easy job?  Can I do it myself and save a few £'s? He charged £23 for brake pads (obviously for front there'd be 2x23) and £20 for labour, but we rounded it to £40 to do the back one.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 11:05:31 »
You can do it yourself, it's a dirty job, but worth doing so you can learn how easy it is.

That said, £20 for the labour is a bargain, he obviously doesn't know how much of a PITA Strom brakes can be, but he's had eyes on it so it was his call.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2014, 11:11:49 »
seems when it heats up it contracts enough that it rotates freely but when cold it's expanded too much
Sorry for the Sunday morning physics lesson but metals expand when heated!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...