Author Topic: KLV/V-strom Simmi exhaust without powercommander  (Read 933 times)

Offline gnewso

KLV/V-strom Simmi exhaust without powercommander
« on: January 18, 2014, 17:27:59 »
I need some advice, I passed my test about 2-3 months ago and bought a KLV1000, it has a Simmi exhaust and powercommander fitted, the 'custom' map that was on it caused it do have flat spots at 3.5k and 5k (bang on 70mph!) so I put a standard map onto it.

I now need insurance and most companies are OK with the exhaust, but load up the premium when I mention the powercommander.

2 questions

what's the effect of unplugging the powercommander and reverting it back to standard leaving the SImmi exhausts on?

or, any one want to do a deal on a set of Simmi cans/powercommander lll for a standard set of cans?

Regards

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: KLV/V-Strom Simmi exhaust without powercommander
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 17:38:28 »
I ran a pair of Quill Carbon oval's on my former Vee with no issues at all. I think the standard map can cope well. The other option is to have the ecu 'tweaked' with a Yoshi box, this will add fuel and works similar to a Power Commander. It'll cost about £50 (ish) from a dealer with the kit and takes about 15minuets start to finish. Best bit is the bike looks standard...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 17:58:16 »
First of all download from Dynojet and install the "zero map" on to the power commander and see how the bike runs. The "zero map" is where the PC does nothing at all and the standard ECU mapping on the bike is completely in control. Most Vees run pretty OK with cans fitted anyway and the PC just helps tidy things up.

If the bike runs OK with the "zero map" then you could probably remove the PC without any problems. The only thing that comes to mind here is whether the Oxygen sensor has been disconnected and disabled as far as the bike's ECU is concerned. Dynojet recommend disconnecting it and then disconnecting one of the wires going into the bike's ECU to stop any F1 errors appearing on the dash. You could look to see if the Oxygen sensor has been disconnected. The wires can be found tucked under the clutch cover and should have one 3 pin connector and 1 single wire connector (hopefully- as the later Vees have this). If it has been disconnected I'm not sure how the bike would then run with the PC removed. If all else fails just put the bike back to standard. There is info on the Dynojet website on fitting the PC, so removing it is easy. If you need info on the Oxygen sensor and ECU wiring mods so you can reverse them PM me and I'll send you the data sheet. Best of luck.....

Offline gnewso

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 18:15:39 »
Thanks for that I'll give that a go in the morning, I put the standard map on and wondered what the zero map was......I thought it meant the bike got zero fuel !!

Offline gnewso

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 18:30:41 »
One more thing, I read  on another forum that running the stock map with the aftermarket exhaust will destroy the engine due to it breathing easier??

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 19:04:01 »
You'll find lots of Vee and KLV owners on here who've run their bikes with straight through cans, cans with db killers, K&N filters, TREs and various combinations and I don't think you'll find anyone reporting a destroyed engine. As has already been said the standard ECU settings will cope with cans and air filter changes without any problems.  Adjustments done properly with  PC or Yoshi box will get the bike's fuelling spot on and running beautifully. The main reason I fitted a PC was to get the low/mid fuelling better and improve mpg. I've always thought the bike ran on the rich side. The map I'm using actually weakens the mixture off and the bike runs noticeably better. This seems to be at odds with the commonly accepted view that the Vee needs richening up.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 19:15:34 »
I would recommend having the bike set up with a custom map on a dyno. I faffed and farted for years trying to sort my bike out. http://www.dynobike.co.uk/ this bloke is brill and very reasonable. He is one of the best in the country with the TL based engines.

He transformed mine.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.