Author Topic: metzeler tourance on vee  (Read 863 times)

Offline nickodemon

metzeler tourance on vee
« on: January 16, 2014, 00:03:41 »
Hi, I have metzeler tourance tyres on my vee. What is the general opinion of this tyre?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Offline bat-kam

metzeler tourance on vee
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:34 »
I have those on my wee and have to say that for me they are on par with anakee 2. Very good tyre
Suzuki all the way: '98 Bandit > '99 GSX600F > '09 V Strom DL650 > '09 SV650S > '10 V Strom DL650 > '04 GSX-R 600

Online 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: metzeler tourance on vee
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 06:39:07 »
I've had the Tourance's on a couple of my previous bikes (Transalps and a Varadero) and didn't like them. I found them to be a bit 'numb' with a very shallow profile giving a slow rate of turn. Not a lot of grip at the extremes either in my opinion, but lots of people love them.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline iansoady

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 11:00:24 »
I had them on my Tiger 955i for 8 years and 18,000 miles (obviously changed in that time) and was very happy with them except once in a hailstorm in the Massif Central where the road felt like glass. I think that was the conditions rather than the tyres though.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 12:28:54 »
There are three Tourances around. The original (I'm not sure if these are still in production), The Exp and the Next. The general consensus is that the original ones are the best and both later versions have had a lot of criticism. I've never used any on my Vee but have used Metzelers on other bikes and always got on well with them.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 13:30:04 »
Very happy with them on my Vee, prefer them to the Anakee 2's I have now. that's the original Tourance mk1's not the newer "crap" versions.

The Anakee's I find a bit vague and not as sure footed as the Tourances, both brands will let me get to peg scraping angles, so not a problem really, just seat-of-the-pants feel for me.

Offline Seigi

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 17:32:54 »
I have some tourance's on mine (which I need to change) and I personally dislike them, I find they're not grippy enough, I've locked up or nearly locked up the rear wheel a few times quite easily with them. Not sure if that's to the over powerful rear brake or the tyres themselves. Front end also feels a bit floaty when breaking hard but that's probably down to the fact that the tread is so low it's in need of replacing.

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:19:49 »
I run Tourance Next on my Versy's 1000 and I rate them. They are grippy and handle well. I have not done enough miles on them yet to assess their lasting capability. There wet weather grip is very good as well.

I like to think (Not sure) the adventure type tyre like these are designed for the adventure type bike like the V1 and the Stroms as they are by design taller bikes. I am reluctant to try the classic road tyre configuration like  Z8's as I have on my K1200 RS  on my taller bikes, as even though I never go off road I presume the taller stance bikes are better on "Adventure Style tyres" and as we all know adventure does not = Knobblies any more! . They are brillinat all round tyres equally happy being scratched on a bendy  B road as a blast up an M road or a nip through wet city streets.

WM