Author Topic: WHY WE LOVE Suzuki  (Read 963 times)

Offline EnduroAlexis

WHY WE LOVE Suzuki
« on: January 15, 2014, 09:47:29 »

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
Re: WHY WE LOVE Suzuki
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 16:37:02 »
Oh dear...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 16:53:54 »
How can this possibly be right?

"In the motorcycles concerned, small cracks may form in a flange on the fuel pump. In very rare cases, slight leaks can occur causing a smell of petrol or loss of a very small amount of fuel.

"There will be a customer campaign in the UK in the new future and the processes are currently being put into place. BMW Motorrad rates this issue as not being critical to safety and no safety-related situations have occurred to date, or are anticipated in the future."

So, there's a problem where the bikes leak fuel but it's not an issue that is critical to safety??  :shock:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 18:39:59 »
"Critical to safety" in this case is a technical term related to an FMEA score (typically above 500 on a 1-10 x 1-10 by 1-10 scale)  . The low likelihood of failure and a hot surface and conditions that'll make petrol vaporise are low ( BMW will say: look at our nice sticky out cylinders where drips from the petrol station pump might fall that do no harm 999999 times in a million). There is the mitigation that being a bike you can jump/stop and run away. Only the result gives a critical score.

If you use an uncontrolled definition you'd just ban bikes as critical to safety.

To trigger an actual recall in the UK as against a campaign change you need something that'll wipe out bus queues on a regular basis not just cause a few prangs. My trip to see Anne Robinson in action back in the 90's was only a campaign change and that was a brake problem that meant anyone under 16 stone wasn't going to be able to stop their 4x4 any quicker than taking the keys out of the ignition.

Andy

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 18:45:53 »
Fair enough... that actually makes sense. I withdraw my previous shock :)

Still, all this must be pricey for BMW! I expect it'll be passed onto the customer somehow... £1 added to the price of BMW Adventure Underwear or slightly lower quality coffee perhaps!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 19:15:19 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Still, all this must be pricey for BMW! I expect it'll be passed onto the customer somehow...

Even MORE bits made in china I suspect...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Hilldweller

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 21:39:56 »
Quote from: "2112"
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Still, all this must be pricey for BMW! I expect it'll be passed onto the customer somehow...

Even MORE bits made in china I suspect...

I ran an F650 for a year so went on the F650 forum a lot, the problems with Chinese F650s was terrible and BMW's fixes were far from what we'd expect from that brand. One biggie was they would not start when warm. Go to fill up and wait at least 15 mins before they cooled enough to start.

My older one was OK but all the time I rode it on a mway I was praying for a nice V twin motor that did not dislodge my fillings. Now I've got one   :)

Offline EnduroAlexis

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 21:30:02 »
:welcome2: