Author Topic: bought a vee and looking for advice  (Read 3946 times)

Offline nickodemon

bought a vee and looking for advice
« on: January 12, 2014, 15:21:19 »
I have just purchased myself a vee. Bike drives nice, but couple of small issues. 1. front brakes are really poor (how do I make the brakes better)2. it has a touring screen, which worked for the previous owner who is about 5"4, but I find I get a bit of turbulance straight into my helmet I'm 5"9. 3. This isn't major, but I find the bike spits back every now and again usually when blipping the throttle and the revs drop down to idle it will give what sounds like its spitting back into airbox. it only does it once then it seems to stop. Is this normal?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: bought a vee and looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 15:45:27 »
Give the calipers a good clean and service, and as the calipers are the sliding type also make sure the sliding pins are free and greased in their sliders. If the brakes are then still not good enough fitting a set of braided hoses will help as well and maybe some EBC HH pads.

The main problem with the screen is caused by it being too upright and angling it back a bit (which you can do with a Madstad mount does)often helps. You could try fitting a pair of tap washers with longer screws under the bottom mounts to tilt it back and see how you get on.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 16:22:10 »
Turbulence & wind noise are common issues with Vee's & Wee's (& Glee's...). I fitted an MRA tall touring screen to my Vee and it removed 99% of the issues. The spitting back could be the inlet rubbers not seating properly causing an air leak. They are prone to popping off and you'd need to whip the tank off to check it properly (you may be able to get a look by having a crawl about from underneath).
The brakes are marginal at best and with time become poor. A set of Braided hoses and EBC HH pads will improve things no end. As has been mentioned previously make sure the calipers ain't seized.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 16:57:47 »
Mine is a k2, so the screen is solid fixed unlike later ones.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 18:10:31 »
You can get MRA spoilers only that fit to your original screen. I used one to sort out the buffeting on my former Moto Guzzi Stelvio to good effect.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 23:22:02 »
The bike has extensive service history and everything is lubed. The calipers appear to move freely, so maybe get stainless hoses and hh pads. Does anyone have a pic of the the inlet rubber that pops off, so I know what I'm looking for..

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 14:50:53 »
I think the link below may help ?
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=2990.0
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 23:07:58 »
excellent link! Thanks.Another issue I have noticed is the bike seems to buzz/vibrate around 3000 rpm. It does it when driving and when revving in neutral. Is this typical our is something out of sync?

Offline greywolf

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 00:04:57 »
Do the test for clutch chudder. http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,7503.0.html If you have it and want to do something about it, see viewforum.php?f=99

Otherwise, that's a known lean area in the fuel map. Reflashing the ECM with a Yoshi or Teka box is one way to fix it. An external adjustment box like a Power Commander that stays on the bike and doesn't rewrite the stock settings is another. A careful throttle position sensor and throttle valve sync may cure it for a while. Some people with a lean condition problem just keep the revs over 3500-4000rpm.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 09:07:03 »
This issue with the low end fuelling on the Vee is curious. With all the legislation about emissions you would think that the factory fuelling would be set on the lean side to keep the emissions down, but the fuelling maps from Dynojet all weaken it off showing that it is in fact over rich and pumping out unburnt hydrocarbons. On my Vee the exhaust outlets were always black which reinforces this, even though the bike is fitted with straight through cans and a free flowing filter. With the PC the bike runs noticeably better with these leaner settings. Hopefully the fuel consumption will improve as well. There are arguments about setting fuelling on the rich side for engine safety and reliability but the whole point of computer controlled management and multiple sensors should be to get things spot on in all conditions. The best fuelled and most economical (and therefore least polluting?) bikes I've ever ridden have all had carbs.

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 22:13:18 »
The bike seems to only vibrate in first and second while driving at 3000 rpm? When I bought the bike the previous owner said that it had the clutch judder 'fix' done by the owner he bought it from. The other issue is the brakes.. Is there another model of bike that has better front calipers that can be fitted?

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 22:46:30 »
Where can I get a yoshi or teki box, so I can get the ecu flashed? I have checked the carb rubbers and they are fastened tight and in position, so the spitting back into airbox is obviously because it's running a bit lean. this may also explain the buzzing around 3000rpm, as the previous owner said that it had the clutch chudder mod.

Offline hookie

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:30:29 »
The clutch "chudder" can be heard when the bike is ticking over and then disappears when you pull the clutch in. It's caused by wear causing excessive play in the clutch drum shock absorber. A feeling of roughness in the transmission at low and medium speeds will also be felt. Fitting a new clutch clutch drum will only cure it for a short time until wear takes place again. The cure is to get the drum modified by "sharealike" if it bothers you. He can be contacted from this forum.

The Vees brakes have never been anything to get excited about, especially if you've been used to riding modern sports bikes. Giving the calipers a good clean and service along with their sliders, fitting braided hoses and some decent pads (EBC HH?) will get them working at their best. You can fit a pair of 4 pot calipers from some older GSXRs using adapter plates if you want something better.

Re. finding a dealer with a Yoshi box. I'm sure if you say where you live someone will know where you take the bike to have it set up.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:48:03 »
Quote from: "nickodemon"
Where can I get a yoshi or teki box, so I can get the ecu flashed? ....... the previous owner said that it had the clutch chudder mod.

nickodemon, I think abercol on the forum had a yoshi box, try dropping him a PM ask his advice?

In fact see here...he might still have it :shrug: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18604&p=169376&hilit=yoshi#p169376

If no luck, then maybe post in the wanted section for a loan or sale?

There are a number of clutch mods which attempt to cure chudder - which one did he try? There is only one I would do if I had a Vee, and that is sharealikes
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 10:39:04 »
I don't know what was done previously to fix the chudder.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 10:59:11 »
Yup, still got the Yoshi box and still offering free tweaks for anyone who wants one..... :fix: Just PM me to set up a time etc.

£50 for a dealer to plug in a connector and tweak a knob is daylight rubbery!!

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 18:07:58 »
PM Sent :)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 22:44:21 »
PM Replied to..... :grin:

Offline nickodemon

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 23:23:39 »
Hi Abercol, could you resend pm , as I somehow had my control panel pm switched off, so I won't have received it :shrug:

Offline EireSkull

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:18 »
Anyone know were I could get the Yoshi tweak done in Ireland?