Author Topic: Top box for 2013 650 v strom?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline driftershooter

Top box for 2013 650 v strom?
« on: January 05, 2014, 21:57:37 »
Hi, can anyone recommend a good top box, not bothered about brands but I would like a quality  :)
Riding a bike is good for the soul :-)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Top box for 2013 650 v Strom?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 22:00:46 »
What do you want to achieve from it? I specifically wanted plenty of space and to be able to store two full face helmets. I went for a Givi Maxia E52 with the extra Brake Light in.

That will be overkill if you only want to stash away a couple of things and a sandwich.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 22:11:17 »
Yeah, top boxes come in all shapes, sizes and prices... I think most people go with Givi or Kappa (same boxes as Givi I believe, just branded differently). If you do go for a Givi top box, I'd look on ebay for the box because there are loads of 2nd hand ones up there with quite a discount.

I've got the Trekker 52-litre top box, I had a slight issue with one of the hinges, but Givi sorted it out for me. Other than that it has been great, but is the most expensive top box in their range I believe so it should be good for the money.

If you get Givi, make sure you get the right rack adaptor for the box! Most of the motorcycle boxes need the Monokey mount I believe.

If you fancy aluminium luggage instead, someone on here recommended ARDcases to me once. I didn't go for it at the time, but only because I decided against panniers altogether. The stuff looks well made, and the bloke is pleasant to deal with... the ARDcases top box is 200 quid.

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:52 »
I got this one from Italy:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVI-Bauletto-Monolock-39-LT-E370NT-Tech-Nero-Con-Catadiottri-Fume-senza-Piastra-/290891966489?pt=Ricambi_e_Accessori_Moto&hash=item43ba832819
It comes with all kit (plate included). It's just straight mount to my DL650 2012. It's top quality box. I've had a lot of top boxes on my previous rides, and lot of different sizes. Cheaper trademarks are problematic, with rusting metal bits, bad closing, low security, rattling... This time I went with Givi and this italian seller has excellent price. I've chosen 39L because any bigger and bike looks like pizza-delivery bike. Any smaller and it's too small. I'd buy this one again. I've chosen it with white reflectors as my bike is white but the seller has them with red reflectors if you want them (different sizes as well).
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline driftershooter

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 15:34:01 »
Thanks for the welcome advice everyone  :)

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 16:01:07 »
I've used a couple of Hepco and Becker ones including a Gobi, which doesn't take any of my helmets, but is double lined so effectively insulated, has rails on top to tie down kit onto and performs well. To get a bit more space I've also got the TC50, which easily takes a full face helmet, and to which I've added the H & B luggage rack to.Not double skinned so lighter, and less stronger that the Gobi I'd guess. One benefit of the Gobi is that you can have the locks unlocked, and latch the lid, so it's easier to get stuff in / out when on the road, whereas the TC50 is either unlocked and open, or locked and closed, which may be a bit more secure on the road.

Offline driftershooter

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:55:27 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Yeah, top boxes come in all shapes, sizes and prices... I think most people go with Givi or Kappa (same boxes as Givi I believe, just branded differently). If you do go for a Givi top box, I'd look on ebay for the box because there are loads of 2nd hand ones up there with quite a discount.

I've got the Trekker 52-litre top box, I had a slight issue with one of the hinges, but Givi sorted it out for me. Other than that it has been great, but is the most expensive top box in their range I believe so it should be good for the money.

If you get Givi, make sure you get the right rack adaptor for the box! Most of the motorcycle boxes need the Monokey mount I believe.

If you fancy aluminium luggage instead, someone on here recommended ARDcases to me once. I didn't go for it at the time, but only because I decided against panniers altogether. The stuff looks well made, and the bloke is pleasant to deal with... the ARDcases top box is 200 quid.
These look good but are they ugly when fitted, what about fitting, any other kit needed apart from a plate?  :)