Author Topic: Rear LED strip light install  (Read 3920 times)

Offline Tin Tin

Rear LED strip light install
« on: November 13, 2013, 21:55:11 »
Hi All,

Firstly I suppose that it would be polite to introduce myself to you.
It's official - My name is Marc and I'm a wee-aholic. I purchased a 2008 K7 650 ABS GT about 6 months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed every bit of ownership. It had 12,500 miles when I picked it up and is now showing nearly 23,000. I use it for commuting from West Sussex to the city ever day come rain or shine and it's never missed a beat.

I've been looking at this site a lot since buying the bike, it's been a wealth of knowledge for me. Since owning it I've fitted a MRA screen, some new mirrors and LED front driving lights. All has gone to plan, that is until I looked at installing my newly purchased Autocom SPA system.

The problem is that I have an excellent LED strip light on my top box that acts as a light and brake light [goes from about 70% to full brightness under braking] I wanted to take the live feed from the rear light to wire in the Autocom. As I was doing it late after work I was a little hasty in pulling the heat shrink off where the LED positive went to the tail light and I see to have now buggered it.

I cannot get the strip light to work and on inspection I have another wire with a bit of the sheath stripped away but I cannot recall what wire went on it.

So what I need to know is how to reinstall my strip light [it already has 3 inline diodes not that I know what they are or do?] but they may be broken now. So any help on how to reinstall this to run off the rear light and go brighter when I brake would be appreciated. I also want to use the rear light positive to install the auto com but I suspect that once I have identified the wire it's a simple soldering job.

Cheers

Marc
18,000m pa and loving every minute of the 'Wee'

Offline Descolada

Re: Rear LED strip light install
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:23 »
I can't help you with moving an existing strip light, but I have fitted an LED strip light to the tail of my wee to act as an additional brake light, so have a little experience with this. It cost about 5UKP off eBay and was easy to fit as it just splices into the existing brake light wiring. Works like a charm and very much raises the awareness of people behind me.

Maybe it would cheaper and easier to simply start again and fit one of these?

Des

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 14:03:19 »
Descolada, any pic's of the position of your "extra" brake light?  Pleeeeeease...
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline geekay

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 16:15:52 »
yeah - I'd like to see this too!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 17:03:46 »
First of all - welcome to the forum Marc :grin:  Btw, the usual 'etiket' is to Intro yourself in the Intro section (your first paragraph above would do nicely!)

There is a thread here on the VSRI forum which might help you in your quest...http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1461.0.html

Good luck with finding the right wires, :thumb:  can't be too many to choose between?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Descolada

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 21:03:40 »
Sure, I can post some pics, actually, I think I posted them when I first installed as a response to something (possibly Juvecu) was asking for?

Let me have a look at my previous posts.

The detail of the job is as follows; small hole drilled to allow the cable through, the strip had a self adhesive backing but I didn't much trust that so used a few dabs of hot glue to hold it in place and hug the rear molding. Ran the wires up into the rear light cluster and identified the brake light wiring. Used PostTap connectors to attach so as not to have to cut the main wiring harness.

Let me see if I can find that post..

Offline Descolada

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 21:05:43 »
OK, found it.

Take a look at the second picture down in my posting here;

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=19133&hilit=+brake+light

If you are still interested, but want something in the daylight, I can take some pics tomorrow and post them for you.

I should probably clarify that what you are seeing here is the main (standard) brake light with the new LED strip underneath. The two lights either side of the main cluster are my rear BizeViz Bullets.

http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 16:26:53 »
Looks like the one I've ordered:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-LED-Black-Motorbike-Tail-Brake-Indicator-Number-Single-Plate-Rear-Light-WST-/271265850235?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3f28b4637b
The ideia is to remove the OEM licence plate light with reflector and then install this new one on the same spot, as it's a bit smaller and it wouldn't go wider then the base (it illuminates the licence plate as well). Looking at yours, it looks similar.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 17:10:15 »
To be honest it's not that similar. You have ordered an assembly that is a replacement - the one I fitted was literally a red LED strip, nothing else. It's more like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-red-strip-light-rear-marker-light-additional-brake-light-streetfighter-trike-/151149086167?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item23313005d7  :)

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 20:07:17 »
Ah, yes, it was not that clear on the photo. I see your strip now.
I've ordered the assembly but will remove licence plate bracket and just use the LED light in the place of existing OEM licence plate light. I had to order it with bracket because it was the only one available that would fit in the area. All others were much bigger and I didn't like the idea of the cluster going over the edges of existing area on the rear mudguard. Anyway, I like yours.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 20:54:41 »
It was probably alot cheaper than your assembly and it would be straight forward to add a second strip above to make a wider band brake light.

I also added indicator strips to the side panels to increase visibility from the side. I may eventually add the same indicator strips to the rear tail section to increase visibility for the rear indicators.

Offline Tin Tin

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 21:12:28 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
First of all - welcome to the forum Marc :grin:  Btw, the usual 'etiket' is to Intro yourself in the Intro section (your first paragraph above would do nicely!)

There is a thread here on the VSRI forum which might help you in your quest...http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,1461.0.html

Good luck with finding the right wires, :thumb:  can't be too many to choose between?

I'll go ahead and put an intro on the right section later today.

Thanks for all your responses on this question but what I really wanted to do was to have 1 strip light across the top box [it's already installed on there] and have it light up with the rear light AND when the brake is applied. I know how t wire it up to either the rear light or brake, but I want both.

If I cannot figure it out I'll add another strip light above it and have a permanently lit tail light one and a separate brake light one.

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 21:17:45 »
Descolada, it looks like we're both very careful with our visibility (safety). I've added black reflective adhesive strips on my black rims and will take my helmet to paint shop after prep to paint it white (it's black now). My Glee is white. My black leather jacket now has huge white insert on the back and my winter cloth jacket (dark grey & black) now has a huge yellow reflective insert on the back. And here in southern Portugal we have 300 sunny days a year. But still... I care about being visible as much as possible.
It all started two months ago when I asked a friend of mine to go with me to Lisbon (300 km's trip each way) to help me bring the Glee I have purchased. We went to Lisbon by my car and then he rode my bike on the way back south. He was riding some 100 meters in front of me. It was sunny day. First 150 km's we've done on dual carriageway, then other 150 km's on toll-free rode (we were trying to save some money). That friend of mine was all dressed black and he only had brand new shiny helmet in white. After we got out of the dual carriageway he increased the distance between us. It was late afternoon, still sunny, but already with deep dark shadows. As he increased the distance I couldn't see him anymore, at all, there was just a little white moving dot on horizon - his helmet. That was the point where the "lightbulb" turned on in my mind.
I was always "in love" with black clothing, black bike, black gloves... I was even sad I couldn't get black Glee...
Today I'm on totaly oposite side. Safety and visibility first. I've spent last few months observing other bikers on the road and came to conclusion that only reflective yellow and clean white are realy visible. All other colors, even red ones, are just simply invisible. Well, my experience is from sunny days, we haven't seen a single cloud in last two months and probably won't be seing any for at least one more.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Descolada

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 22:23:11 »
Yeah, I take this stuff pretty seriously these days. I'm a firm believer in making sure that other road users can not use the excuse "I didn't see him" as an excuse for putting me off my bike. The latest thing I am looking at is using EL Wire on my jacket to add an increased 'upper level' of visibility to my kit. Many of the increased visibilty solutions rely on increasing visibility of the bike and, with the exception of the high-viz jacket, simply create a higher visibility lower half (I.e. the bike).

With regards to high-viz jackets, there is a growing argument that people have become blind to this form of increased visibility because it is used so widely. People are numb to it so it's not as effective as it once was. Active lighting will make people look twice and that could be all you need to save your life.

Offline Tin Tin

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:56 »
With a bit of googling and following the link posted by Gassoon I've managed to fit the LED tail/brake light combination.  :grin:

LED's are lit by 70% when the tail light is on [all the time] and then when you brake they have full power and show as an extra brake light. I've attached pics. Next step will be to add something similar to my panniers. Also thought you might be interested to see my front LED driving lights. They don't light up the road or cause glare at cars just make me more noticeable.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3f74bz30qy2w2l/photo%201.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0n3ububnts3jxa/photo%202.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdw0eetbpfttr77/photo%204.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdqc36eni6qov43/photo%203.JPG

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 09:55:43 »
How did you power your topbox leds? I was thinking of doing something similar. Have you come up with some contact connection?

Offline Tin Tin

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 15:15:06 »
Quote from: "bigpie"
How did you power your topbox leds? I was thinking of doing something similar. Have you come up with some contact connection?

I used the tail light switched live and brake light [with a diode on each and a resister on the tail light to reduce the brightness] and clipped it together with a Tamiya clip.

The LED wire runs into the seat and the clip is secured in my tool tray. That way if I want to remove the box I can by simply unclipping the Tamiya clip.

Wish I could just paste an image in the forum and I could show you...

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 17:15:10 »
No need for an image. I can imagine. I was hoping for a contact connection like the givi. I'm going to be giving this a go soon. Hoping to get the LEDs in the red area on the Suzuki top box.

Ignoring the legality I aim to have them flash for first 3 seconds then remain on, but only when the clutch is not pressed.

Are your wires inside the box?

Offline bigpie

• Site Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 20:39:04 »
OK, you tempted me to start.

Initial version will probably just use the same connector. Might make them on at 30-40% and 100% under braking. Or just as brake lights.

I need to get another LED strip to finish it off, I might put the cables on the side to tidy it up.

Offline Tin Tin

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 22:36:02 »
Looking good, I didn't realise you could take the reflectors off. I really like that idea, it makes it soooo bright and I could do that with both the panniers and top box sides as the LED's draw such little current.

I run the wires inside the box, covered with gaffer tape and then they pop out the bottom to the underside of the rear then go into the seat to the clip.

Q, how do you get them to flash? That sound like a great way to get someone's attention and make them look twice.