Author Topic: Performance Tuning  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Descolada

Performance Tuning
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:53:10 »
Is there any such thing as performance tuning on a wee (AK9). Can the engine be tweaked to provide more power - without workshop performance testing tools/diagnostic how would you know that your wee is performing at its optimal efficiency?

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Re: Performance Tuning
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:27 »
You can fit a K&N along with an aftermarket pipe and a power commander/yoshi box tweak.... :)

For ongoing issues...a dyno run to see power output, maybe a compression test on the cylinders??

I shall be cheeky & say...

Wee Performance Tuning = Go to dealer, trade Wee in for Vee...Big gains in power at lowest expense.  lol

Offline Descolada

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:18:53 »
lol I like it! Unfortunately you missed out the other drawback, higher fuel consumption?

Thanks for the feedback though  :thumb:

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 16:04:48 »
As mentioned a K&N filter and pipe with a Yoshi box tweak is pretty much all you can do without getting silly expensive. Apparently you can drop in the cams from an SV650 for an extra couple of HP, no doubt at the loss of some torque lower down the range ? After that it's getting expensive with big bore kits and the like.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 16:31:03 »
I found mine got more powerful after I lost four stone.

Unfortunately it's getting less powerful again as I have found two of those missing stones.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 19:09:45 »
+1 for K&N filter and an aftermarket exhaust. They will make it breathe better and you will feel the revs pick up a little quicker. The real benefit is the great noise the engine makes when you give it some. The aftermarket exhaust will also shed some weight. This is where my 'performance' tweaking advice stops for a Wee.

If you want to spend money on the bike, spend it on suspension and brakes. Get a fork brace, fork springs, rear shock spring, EBC HH brake pads for the front and braided  brake hoses for the front. These are all relatively cheap mods, but they will transform how your bike rides, handles and stops. These changes will be more valuable and, more importantly, more noticeable than tuning your engine.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 08:04:57 »
Quote from: "MartinW"
Unfortunately it's getting less powerful again as I have found two of those missing stones.

Crikey, you're taking that Geocache' lark way too seriously !

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 10:08:10 »
Basically, what Juv and the others said. Some have tried fitting velocity stacks also (Eg HERE, but highly dubious results.

I personally (fwiw) haven't bothered with exhausts, yoshi's or owt. Just invest in one of these
http://www.carbtune.co.uk/ and keep everything balanced and plugs, filter clean etc...

But maybe I'm just a lazy sod who's easily pleased!

btw, I haven't balanced the throttle bodies on mine yet, though I've done it on previous bikes. I'll be getting a carbtune next year (always borrowed them in the past), a 4 cylinder one. This is a handy link...
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,5731.0.html
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 10:30:58 »
+1 for the 4 tube Carbtune, great bit of kit. Makes you look like a wizard when mates come round to have their bikes balanced, it looks really complex to them, but it isn't.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 18:12:08 »
I have just booked mine in for a valve clearance check, they are going to balance the throttle as part of the work. At £87.51 including vat it beats doing it myself in this weather, without a garage :-)

Offline 2112

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 18:14:32 »
That's not a bad price and as you say it saves a bit of work too  :thumb:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 19:51:46 »
That's good, would they be adjusting or just checking at that price?

Offline Descolada

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 21:36:01 »
Am waiting for clarification on that Jacko, they tell me it will take a day to do this as the bike needs to be cold to check properly. Would seem a little daft to just put it back together and hand it back just to say "oh yes, it definately needs adjustment". As I say, I have asked them what they would do if she needs adjustment and whether this is included in the cost.

Not sure whether the shims are something they keep in stock, maybe they would need to order in or maybe, because they are authorised dealers, they have a supply for such jobs.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 21:53:07 »
They'll have a load of shims in stock, they swap them anyway so their stock numbers never dwindle and they're always moving different sizes in and out. I have a collection of my own now, a mate does the same, we have quite a collection ourselves now.

Offline Descolada

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 17:14:25 »
Got an answer back from Cupar Suzuki. The price quoted is just a valve check - if adjustment is require it's an additional £25.00 per cyclinder because of the work involved, however the quote from them is " but we find most bike are within the tolerance"

I guess I will get peace of mind either way and the throttle balance is worth getting done.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 18:53:32 »
£25 each per pot on top for adjustment is a bargain. Rest easy. :)

Offline 2112

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 20:11:55 »
Just back to the performance thing, Wiseco do a 696cc big bore kit for the Glee. Should be good for a few horses and a bit more torque although it will be a few bob to fit and adjust the fueling to suit.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 22:19:10 »
I guess that was a Gladius kit first?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline DOG

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 22:30:25 »
Quote from: "Descolada"
Got an answer back from Cupar Suzuki. The price quoted is just a valve check - if adjustment is require it's an additional £25.00 per cyclinder because of the work involved, however the quote from them is " but we find most bike are within the tolerance"

I guess I will get peace of mind either way and the throttle balance is worth getting done.

Make sure you get their reduced hourly rate for the work. From memory it's 50% off for the next few months.

Offline 2112

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 07:04:34 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
I guess that was a Gladius kit first?

I assume so, there are a few big bore options out there, most seem to be just under 700cc. The ones over 700cc seem to need a fair bit more work and are more for racing (SV series in the 'states). They also seem more prone to breaking engines too...