Author Topic: Lowering 1000 - how low can you go?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
Re: Lowering 1000 - how low can you go?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 10:17:14 »
Quote from: "greywolf"
Quote from: "Jacko"
That would require wheel removal
No it doesn't. I think you're missing the fact that the fork tubes can move independently. I've adjusted the forks on my V-Stroms many times and the only tool required is a 10mm spanner and it takes maybe two minutes. Bolt access is easy. I've done 10mm and 15mm changes in one step.

I agree. I had some concerns before trying this for the first time, but once I got my head around it it became a simple 5 min job, including measurements with a vernier. Not room to get a torque wrench in so had to rely on good old fashioned feel- a contentious issue I know but has never let me down in 30 years of tinkering. :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:56 »
I too did the fork legs one at a time and moved them the full amount by simply pushing it up then nipping up the 10mm bolt, no need to remove the fairing, took a couple of minutes, mostly spent ensuring both sides were the same height when I was done.

The rear was easy enough, just a little harder to access/remove the bolts on the Vee as the exhaust gets in the way, put the lower link bolt in the other way around as access was a lot easier. No magic electric bolt gun was required although I did have it on standby.

Lots of waterproof grease was used in the linkage bearings on re-assembly as it was dry as a bone in there.

Offline keithquad

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 07:56:28 »
Thank you for all the tips & the very detailed descriptions of how to lower the front & back.

This convinces me further that the vee is the bike. Just need to sell the others.
Thanks again.

Offline keithquad

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 20:31:51 »
Now we have sold one of the bikes & the missuse is adamant that she is going to have my BMW GS650 twin, I'm now seriously reviewing what options I've got.
A couple of people have indicated what their lowered bike height is, however this is still higher than my GS.

Does any one near -ish to Cumbria have a lowered Vstrom 1000 that I can sit on & get a sense of how 'similar' it is to mine at the moment? I would much appreciate the chance of really seeing what it is like.
I'm going to be comparing it with a GS1200 lowered as well so it will be good to appreicate the difference.

Hope you can help, thanks for those who have submitted to date - v. usefull.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 16:45:10 »
I have a 29" inside leg and with the lowered bike and a 650 seat I can almost flatfoot it on both sides. With the stock Vee seat I'm on the balls of my feet but not tiptoes.

I found the stock seat/unlowered Vee fine for height, it was the addition of the Corbin seat that made me lower it as the extra width of the seat made my legs splay out too much.

Sorry I'm not near Cumbria, but you are more than welcome to pop in if you are up this way, you can try the lowered bike with the 650 seat.