Author Topic: Cracking end to a day- attempted theft...  (Read 1355 times)

Offline imacwalker

Cracking end to a day- attempted theft...
« on: October 13, 2013, 09:15:45 »
After a few glasses of wine unwinding after a busy day - I happened to Notice that my bike which is parked in a secure underground car park wasn't exactly where it usually was.
 upon entering the garage I noticed the steering was off to the opposite side and there were 6-7 bicycles strewn across the ground...

some rather caring individuals had decided to smash up my bike punch the ignition through the triple clamp, break the steering lock crack/bend my handlebars and leave the whole bike sitting looking slightly sadder.

they had managed to gain entry to the garage by cutting through a metal wall panel,
Police called, nothing they can do - no chance of prints, and because it was late on a Saturday night the detective can't start knocking on doors for '2 or so weeks' as that's when he was back on day shift...

quick question - how should I go about fixing this?

Offline Strommer

Re: Cracking end to a day- attempted theft...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:23:00 »
Bummer.  The handlebar bend is just the long screw for the bar weight, it'll straighten or you can replace with normal bar ends until you get a new part.

Ignition I guess it might be worth testing if it still functions before refitting.  If it doesn't start then you'll have to cost up the parts and decide on an insurance claim or not.  Steering lock may be costly, so may be worth not fixing, however all policies seem to state that your steering lock should be on...

Have the parking people mentioned cctv or somesuch?

Someone who can help you do any work should be along soon...

NB - My trick for parking is to always use two locks then find a bike that is secured with less locks than my own and park next to that one....

A disgrace to biking...

Offline Jay2

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 12:18:57 »
As per other post mate, do you have any paperwork for using the garage or pay a fee?

Also, I'd be having a chat with the local constabulary about why there seems to be only one copper for your area and that any investigations stop when he's on leave/hols/or different shift?  :crazy:
"If in doubt, flat out"

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 13:03:48 »
Sympathies mate! Did the scrotes put a screwdriver in where the key goes? If not, might still work?

Have a search on the forum, if the barrels bust, maybe a repair before trying the breakers?

eg viewtopic.php?f=58&t=17996&p=163096&hilit=ignition+barrel#p163096

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance ... -pics.html

Good luck!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline imacwalker

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 13:06:43 »
It starts runs OK - handling is OK as far as wanted to test today - its off to my mates garage to gt locked up -

Ordered a new tripple clamp - 2nd hand off eBay
The steering lock is messed up on the frame side -so may have to look int shimming that
Ordered a new disk alarm as a 5th line of deterrent - possibly a luminous pink cover that glows ,

Next weekend I'll try get on with the fix /

Offline imacwalker

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 13:10:59 »
The garage is adjacent to my building - facor   hasn't acted on the previous break in so I'm kicking up a big fuss - no CCTV sadly

There's a brand spanking sv and 1198 in the opposite corner of the garage neither touched.... So much for the excuse of parking next to something lighter and more desirable

It's not like they could get it out of the garage there's a massive roller door in the way

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 13:29:48 »
Mebbe leave a large note on your seat with an arrow pointing...'SHINY NEW BIKES PARKED OVER THERE!' ? :)

Just out of interest I did a search and found this interesting item...http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ34287
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 15:16:26 »
Sorry to hear this, maybe you should think about buying a second hand smart phone stick a pay/go sim in it and hide it on the bike you could even tie a USB charge cable into a switched feed so it is always charged and install Red Alert Movement Detector on it and set it to call you if the bike is moved about, it will also track it for you. Not used it myself but thinking about it.

Offline Strommer

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 17:55:20 »
It sounds like scrotes showing off "Look wot I can do..." rather than thieves.  Probably thought your cheaper bike would be easier to start.

A disgrace to biking...

Offline imacwalker

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:17:35 »
Yeah, when I turned on the ignition every button had been pressed, hazards, heated grips, cut off indicators, spent lastnight looking at the shotgun blank mines,
have to resist the urge....

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 13:35:11 »
Inflatable Panigale?

Alarmed disc lock seems to be the way to go I think.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 13:51:22 »
I've wandered down to my bike in my underground car park a few times to find every button has been pushed... means you know that some cock has at least sat on your bike. Happens less often now I have an alarmed disc lock, but it has still happened that I've gone to the bike and found the engine cut off switch pressed or similar, so people are still obviously wandering by and pushing buttons. If I ever catch someone doing it they will feel my wrath!!  :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 14:05:07 »
imacwalker , my dad has always used these on his workshop
http://www.shotgun-store.co.uk/alarm-mi ... 1026-p.asp
We was sitting in the house one night having a drink and we heard it go off , we legged it to the bottom of the garden to find a young scrote shaking on the grass . He'd tried to crowbar the door off and the mine went off  lol . He was so scared that he could'nt stand up for a while lol  . We held him till the police arrived .
Not sure how you'd fit one to a bike though .

Offline Woogie

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 14:19:30 »
Sorry to hear about that bud.....Some people do this kind of thing just for the sake of it. My last 2 bikes have both been vandalised in my works car park which seems to be simply because they could. My SV had part of its front fairing cracked and smashed in while my ER6 had a scratch put down the side of it. I also had my top box broken into the other day.... makes me wonder why I bother parking there at times.

Offline mjc506

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 15:17:56 »
Quote from: "Locky"
imacwalker , my dad has always used these on his workshop
http://www.shotgun-store.co.uk/alarm-mi ... 1026-p.asp
We was sitting in the house one night having a drink and we heard it go off , we legged it to the bottom of the garden to find a young scrote shaking on the grass . He'd tried to crowbar the door off and the mine went off  ::): . He was so scared that he could'nt stand up for a while ::):  . We held him till the police arrived .
Not sure how you'd fit one to a bike though .
fit it to the side stand so when the weights taken off it it fires :haha:
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline putbinoot

• Bike: WEE, KLX250, GasGas 250, GasGas 125