Author Topic: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???  (Read 7875 times)

Offline salex

Re: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 20:39:22 »
I think I've cracked it , I've not dropped it for 3 months now - loving the veeee!!!! :auto-dirtbike:

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 21:56:45 »
Glad you got there. It took me about 2 months to be comfortable on/off.

I only have short legs and a very stiff back but manage without difficulty now.

Different matter with full luggage and pillion. That still takes a bit of prior planning. :shock:

Wife and I spent ages watching how other rider and pillion combos did it. She now uses footpeg and puts hand on my shoulder as I lean forward with both feet (just) down and grabbing front brake.

Slightly off topic but how many here reverse their bike with the one hand at the rear technique? I have been trying but it doesn't feel right not covering the brake. Must be living in hilly Wales that does that :shy: I feel far more confident holding bars with both hands and steadying with hip if necessary. Doesn't twist my back either.

I think I'll ask works Moving and Handling Trainer to give her opinion.
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline matchless

• Bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 22:13:15 »
I use the hand on the seat method when reversing the bike, just leave it in gear hold the clutch in and let go when you want to stop. :)
"It may be rubbish, but it's British rubbish !"

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 22:17:08 »
as imindoors said, I hold front brake whenever the mrs is getting on or off. just steadies the bike.

she stands on the left peg with left foot, hand on my left shoulder, right hand on the top box.
I tried getting on the back of a Burgman 400 (mrs the front) at the NEC last week and I couldn't do it without kicking the sh** out of the seat or topbox.

I used to sit on the bike and walk it backwards until I got used to the size and weight of a big bike after passing my test. now I'm quite comfortable throwing it around with wild abandon.

I do have the advantage of being fairly long in the leg and can flat foot the thing even with the higher seat I have. but it's always a problem until you get used to it.

Glad you have developed the knack Salex  :clap:

Ride Coordinator

Offline SnowStrom

• Bike: None :(
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2013, 00:00:22 »
I dropped mine several times while getting off it too so I feel your pain :) I'm 5'9 and even though I had the bike lowered I still find it awkward.

My advice: come to a stop, side stand down, turn bike off, hold front brake tightly with bars still straight, then (because I don't trust the sidestand) I cover it with my left foot, then raise up a little on to the ball of my left foot, lean forward and 'pull' back on the bars to lift myself up and forward enough to swing my right leg over. If you're going to do that though you have to keep the front brake on for obvious reasons :D I don't turn the bars to the usual 'left' position til I'm off the bike and I know it's going to stay put.

I hope that helps, it sounds weird but it works for shortarse me!

EDIT: imindoors - I don't :D I never wheel it anywhere except for cleaning the chain etc. I'm a total pansy and struggle with the weight. If I need to move it backwards I get on and paddle it backwards. For that reason I never ever park it nose in to anywhere I need to reverse out of, even when that involves a 2905824985204985 point turn (thank you, uni bike stands).

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2013, 00:28:25 »
I like my mrs plan... on her tiny 145kg cruiser...

If it's difficult, look helpless, and some big strong man will come and move it for you. OK it won't work for everyone  :shrug:

her bike is so low I can walk up behind it and just walk onto the damn thing... I do feel like my bits are dragging on the floor it's that low.  :shock:

Ride Coordinator

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2013, 06:30:03 »
I sit on it an paddle it backwards if I am going to far, or between the two cars on my drive. If I am walking it, then it's two hands on the bars and a leg against the seat, while covering the front brake.

I need to try it in gear and pulling the clutch in and see how I get on with that.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2013, 11:31:19 »
Quote from: "mr_diver"
If it's difficult, look helpless, and some big strong man will come and move it for you. OK it won't work for everyone  :shrug:

At the risk of a gender-betraying fatwa being issued by militant feminists, this works awesomely well. Great way of meeting blokes - if a bit rough on the bike! Still have the number of a dishy bloke that picked up my bike when I dropped it at Beaconsfield services :D

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2013, 19:46:17 »
:grin:  It must get a bit tiring, pulling into every petrol station, eyeing up the talent and dropping your bike while uttering a helpless squeel!  :shrug:   Have you got a top-box full of spare left indicators?  lol
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2013, 19:56:00 »
has it already been said ?  what's wrong with the John Wayne method ????

Pull up find neutral and turn thr ignition off , keep the front brake on and the bars turned slightly to the right .. stand up on the left footpeg and swing you right nleg over,, or through if you have the topbox on

simples  :shrug:   I have dropped the bike  :shy:  :shy:   but never getting on or off

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2013, 20:56:20 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
:grin:  It must get a bit tiring, pulling into every petrol station, eyeing up the talent and dropping your bike while uttering a helpless squeel!  :shrug:   Have you got a top-box full of spare left indicators?  ::):
:shock: I hope you are insured Gassoon.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2013, 21:36:46 »
Quote from: "Gassoon"
:grin:  It must get a bit tiring, pulling into every petrol station, eyeing up the talent and dropping your bike while uttering a helpless squeel!  :shrug:   Have you got a top-box full of spare left indicators?  ::):

Engine bars: best investment evAr!

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 21:53:00 »
Finding getting on and off when solo OK now! Put side stand down first, bars to the right then swing leg over if no top box or through if top box on.
However the good lady still has 'fun' getting off (getting on not bad). She had an operation for torn ligaments years ago which limits her twisting movements in the left leg, we always have the top box on when we're together, so as said earlier, I lean forward and she pulls herself up and balances using my shoulders until she can get her left leg turned enough before pulling right leg through. (no!! apparently she can't get off on the right side!!.....but then neither can I).
She probably won't be out with me over winter so will have to start practicing again come the warmer weather.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2013, 10:53:32 »
I strapped loads of bags to the seat when riding in the Alps in the summer... Was the first time I've ever had getting on/off difficulty (I'm larger than the average bear, much larger than the average human!)

Still I amazed myself with how high I managed to swing my leg to clear all the bags... Am thinking of representing England in the aerobics in the next Olympics now :)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2013, 11:16:11 »
I thought just to drop into this thread with my way of getting on and off "the thing". I use the same technique for more then 20 years on any bike, street or dual sport or cross or cruiser... I have never dropped the bike getting on it or off. Here is how I do it and I have top case on it:

To get on it:
- Unlock the steering
- Turn the bars to the right but not full lock, it's more like somewhere between straight and full lock
- Grab both grips
- Bring the body closer to the bars
- Start lifting the right leg and bending the knee at the same time, as much as possible
- Right leg is now bent and in the air, so the knee will reach the seat first while foot is still away
- Throw right knee over the seat (leg is still bent as much as possible)
- Keep holding the bars with both hands
- After the knee crosses over the seat the foot starts to go over it on the rear part of the seat
- After you feel that foot has already crossed the top of the seat start straightening the leg
- Done

To get off:
- Side stand down
- Let the bike fall to the left, to get fully supported on the stand and your left foot
- Make sure now the weight of the bike is on the side stand and weight of your body is on your left foot
- Turn bars right, to the point half-way between straight and full lock
- Supporting your weight on left foot bring your body a bit forward
- Don't try to get off but start bending your right leg first
- After you feel the leg is bent as much as possible, start to get it over the seat but keep it bent
- Keeping the leg bent, the foot will first start to get over the seat and just then the knee will follow
- Keep holding your bars with both hands
- When right foot touches the ground, you're done

This may sound complex but trust me, it's not. The only important point is to get on and off always with your right leg bent as much as possible and to keep bars turned as described above. I find it simple and I'm doing it right thiese cold days with ton of clothes on and trousers on with thick winter trousers over them. So, lots of thick clothing and I'm not young anymore.
Do it 3-4 times and then it'll become natural and you'll never even think of it anymore and never drop the bike anymore.

So, to resume, the bent knee goes over the seat first, always. Ah, and keep the engine off and in 1st gear.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 18:04:51 »
I'm just telling the mrs that I'm reading how to get my leg over :) She told me not to bother :)  :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline SnowStrom

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:41 »
To the Quotes Museum! And don't spare the horses!

Offline iansoady

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2013, 16:51:00 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"

Start lifting the right leg and bending the knee at the same time, as much as possible
- Right leg is now bent and in the air, so the knee will reach the seat first while foot is still away
- Throw right knee over the seat (leg is still bent as much as possible)
- Keep holding the bars with both hands
- After the knee crosses over the seat the foot starts to go over it on the rear part of the seat
- After you feel that foot has already crossed the top of the seat start straightening the leg
- Done
- Don't try to get off but start bending your right leg first
- After you feel the leg is bent as much as possible, start to get it over the seat but keep it bent
- Keeping the leg bent, the foot will first start to get over the seat and just then the knee will follow
- Keep holding your bars with both hands
- When right foot touches the ground, you're done

That's the way I've done it since first getting my 955i Tiger. The only slight snag is it tends to drag your boot down the offside pannier, leaving a nasty scuff.

I'm always very dubious about using the prop stand and standing on the footrest as some advocate - that just seems to be a topple waiting to happen.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline Phil254

• Bike: Dl650
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 01:20:53 »
Well I have to say I must try this standing on the left peg when getting off as I too am a clumsy **** and knocked mine over the other day only had it a week lol  :ty: for the info I shall try this when I have modified my garden to get me strom out lol cheers  :)  :)  :) and I seem to drag my right boot across the seat  :shock:

Offline driftershooter

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 09:39:12 »
Quote from: "Tusker"
just John Wayne it,,, Side stand down ,, stand on ledt peg an stride off .. simples :shrug:
Yep best way  :)
Riding a bike is good for the soul :-)