Author Topic: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???  (Read 7874 times)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 21:34:51 »
I put the front brake on, but it's always in Neutral and I don't turn the bars inwards.

As everyone else says, park facing uphill.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Mitch

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2013, 04:41:12 »
I'm 6ft4 and over 15 stone but have a bad back. I always use pegs for getting both on and off my strom (from side stand side, naturally) . Makes things so much easier. Especially if you have a top box fitted as you can bend your leg more and not kick your box every time. Thought that what pegs were for, bit of a waste only having them there just for resting your feet on !.
They'll take the weight and so will the side stand. Just be very cautious on softer ground. You will soon get used to this method without disrupting the balance of the parked bike too much. I only use the centre stand for maintenance or long term storage. A parked bike should always be in first gear before you alight. Stops it from going anywhere. that's my 2 penneth. Each to their own and whatever suits you best. Good luck.
VSTROM - ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 09:14:47 »
Only had mine a week and a half and find it the hardest bike I've had to get on and off (but also tallest)but presume practice makes perfect. (hope that don't come back to bite me!!)

I'm putting the side stand down before getting off but can catch the seat/or boxes with right boot sometimes. Have tried drawing my leg 'through' (over drivers seat) but end up hopping backwards, much to the delight of anyone watching!!!

I must say I had been concerened about the bike rolling off the side stand because I did think that it doesn't push forward very much when down so I've been very careful where I park it. Did wonder if it was me but obviously it's standard problem!

Yep!! learning loads on this forum, thanks all!!
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 09:27:36 »
I do the straight leg through and over the seat thing, on and off, it's the only way with boxes on without getting tangled up. You get used to the height, anything else seems small when you're used to a full sized Adventure bike, even something like a Pan.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 10:12:54 »
ALWAYS park in first gear and it becomes habit - whether it is on a slope or not. Just like you wouldn't park your car without putting the handbrake on.

Offline Pickaxe

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 11:37:32 »
When you get off, apply the front brake and allow the bars to turn slightly to the right. That will cause the bike to lean towards you and give you more control.

Offline salex

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 13:13:51 »
Quote from: "Pickaxe"
When you get off, apply the front brake and allow the bars to turn slightly to the right. That will cause the bike to lean towards you and give you more control.

Pickaxe - I've been turning the bars to the left to dip the bike and make lean over onto the stand - you're saying to go the other way?

On a happier note I got to work this morning and managed to get off the bike without incident -  :lala:

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2013, 13:35:10 »
There goes my film then!

Spare a thought for the pillion, they have even less room to manoeuvre whilst getting on and off, and if they use the pegs before you're ready it can get decidedly wobbly.
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline jabmotorsport

• Four Time Quad Bike Champion
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2013, 14:15:59 »
My routine

Stop in first gear. Turn the engine off with the key. release the clutch and rock either backwards or forwards (Forwards if down hill) untill  the bike is against the gear. side stand down! (don't forget that step!) turn bars to right. Front brake!. Step off then pull bike towards left to make sure its on the stand properly. Turn bars back to left and lock steering with key.

Hope this helps in some strange way, I do this because I'm short. I do also stand on the pegs sometimes too and do it that way.

Cheers
Josh
tinker, tweek, fettle....bodge, bang, bugger!!!

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2013, 15:39:48 »
It may sound obvious, but why not practice getting off the bike a few times over and over somewhere private where you won't be mocked by chortling work colleagues? :) Practice makes perfect and it'll soon feel natural if you try it enough.

But yeah, I also subconsciously put the front brake on. Getting off and on isn't normally a problem as I'm tall, but when I have all my Kriega bags strapped to the pillion seat it's a bit trickier to throw my leg over. But I find if I turn the bars to full right lock, then hold the front brake I have enough space and stability to do it.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 17:18:35 »
Sensible suggestion, Matt. Park next to a nice soft field where it won't get damaged and practice.

Offline salex

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 17:36:49 »
Quote from: "jabmotorsport"
My routine

Stop in first gear. Turn the engine off with the key. release the clutch and rock either backwards or forwards (Forwards if down hill) untill  the bike is against the gear. side stand down! (don't forget that step!) turn bars to right. Front brake!. Step off then pull bike towards left to make sure its on the stand properly. Turn bars back to left and lock steering with key.

Hope this helps in some strange way, I do this because I'm short. I do also stand on the pegs sometimes too and do it that way.

Cheers
Josh

I tried the turn the bars to right technique tonight when I got home and seemed to make it easier my foot was nowhere near the top box at all.

But I think you're all right - need to find a quite area and just practice getting off and on again.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 18:18:52 »
Using the pegs to get off makes it much easier. I also always put the side stand down before the wife gets on/off.

My brother used to kick my fazer over by catching his leg on the topbox.. He doesn't ride the Strom!

Offline Descolada

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2013, 12:23:14 »
Well it's not "Lovely and New" any more is it.  :angry-tappingfoot:

Come to a halt, put both feet down, flick out the side stand and swing your leg over the back. Step off on the left every time and let the sidestand so the work. Just get ready for what you do the day your foot slips out from under you due to ice, etc.  :old:

Offline salex

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2013, 17:31:45 »
WOOHOO I've gone 2 days without messing up getting off the bike - I think I may have actually cracked it (touch wood)  :grin:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2013, 20:24:47 »
:thumb:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 10:25:09 »
Now just wait for the day you get so comfortable with it that you accidentally get off having forgot to put the side stand down...  :grin:   Almost happened to me once or twice!

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 10:32:10 »
I have done that.

Nice ZX6R, rode it up the drive, got off without side stand. Bugger.

Didn't even have the excuse of it being new. Had owned it for years and used it every day.

A moment of madness :)

Haven't dropped a bike in recent years. Nearest I came recently  was on my Blackbird when my 17st son lunged onto the pillion seat.  :)
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline Pickaxe

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 14:00:51 »
Quote from: "salex"

Pickaxe - I've been turning the bars to the left to dip the bike and make lean over onto the stand - you're saying to go the other way?

On a happier note I got to work this morning and managed to get off the bike without incident -  :lala:

Yes always to the right. If you do it the other way, it wants to fall away from you and you're leaning further across it and off balance.

I spent 20 years riding heavy police bikes and trust me, you only want the embarrassment of dropping one of them once.

Offline salex

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 14:18:23 »
Quote from: "salex"

Yes always to the right. If you do it the other way, it wants to fall away from you and you're leaning further across it and off balance.

I spent 20 years riding heavy police bikes and trust me, you only want the embarrassment of dropping one of them once.

Only once?? I'd done it three times till I read your advice lol