Author Topic: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???  (Read 7872 times)

Offline salex

Is there a trick to getting off the thing???
« on: October 09, 2013, 19:10:09 »
Hi blokes,

I've had my Vee for 3 weeks now and for some reason I've managed to drop it on it's side 3 times (all of them in my work car park ) it may just been that my bike doesn't like being at work (I know how it feels). I can hop on the bike OK, it seems to be when I come to get off the bike that I struggle. I tend to turn the bars to the left to dip the bike and make it lean on the side stand fully and then go to swing my off the bike (I should say I have a Givi top box on). I'm not sure if I didn't manage to get my trousers caught round the foot peg or stand this morning and the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor with the bike on top of me (god their heavy! thank god for long way round - it taught me how to get a bike of that size back upright).

The odd thing is I can ride the bike fine and when I get home I have no problem getting off it - it's literally only in the work car park.

I think my problem is because I've been so use to riding round on my vl125 cruiser and have now gone up to my lovely tourer and need to get used to the different height and center of gravity.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had problems or is it just me being a newbie numpty?

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
Re: Is there a trick to getting off the thing???
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 19:20:10 »
Why don't you flick the side stand down and let it rest on that before getting off?

:)
Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline Fabman66

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 19:26:51 »
Hi I have only had my bike about six weeks and I suffer with getting off the thing , luckily I haven't dropped it yet though , I stop in car park or wherever , turn the bike off ,put side stand down then lean the bike over so weight is taken of bike on stand , then step off on the same side.
When getting back on bike I put left foot on left foot peg and stand on it to straddle across bike ,this makes it dead easy for getting on bike .
I am only a short legged so I know how you feel , riding the bike is great , maneuvering it about is a nightmare,a lot of it is to do with confidence and that will come in time .

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 19:27:52 »
Could you ask one of your colleagues to film you next time. I'm sure we'd all find it quite amusing :haha:
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 19:29:36 »
Can u try stand on the peg and swing your leg over? My uncle does that as he is officially a shortass lol
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline zimcruza

• Bike: 2016 Veek
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 19:41:16 »
Same setup as me - Givi 52l Trekker top box and a new bike (had it a week today - woo-hoo). You need to ensure your left foot is securely planted and that you're supple enough to get your right leg forward, up and over while pivoting on your left - with side stand down and bars pulled hard left.   Hard to describe really but if you're not flexible in your hips you'll struggle a bit.

Works for me. Well, so far :-)

Offline salex

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 19:45:42 »
Quote from: "Hugo Magnus"
Could you ask one of your colleagues to film you next time. I'm sure we'd all find it quite amusing :haha:

Cheers for that Hugo - I had a couple of them in the car park laughing this morning. I can even see the funny side of it - but it blooming hurts and gives the confidence one heck of kicking.

Fabman66 - thanks for your post - sound like we have similar issues. I'm 6ft, but I've only got short legs. For some reason I seem able to (excuse the phrase) get my leg over OK when getting on the bike. Like you I lean it over onto the side stand and let that take the weight and then go to step off - I think I'm just a bit clumsy and as I say I think I caught either the peg or the rest with my jeans and ended up unsettling the bike. I think tomorrow I'll try tucking my jeans inside my boots and see if that makes a difference.

As you say it's a confidence thing - I just need to get mine back up where it needs to be - but I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like a plumb.

Offline salex

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 19:49:07 »
Quote from: "zimcruza"
Same setup as me - Givi 52l Trekker top box and a new bike (had it a week today - woo-hoo). You need to ensure your left foot is securely planted and that you're supple enough to get your right leg forward, up and over while pivoting on your left - with side stand down and bars pulled hard left.   Hard to describe really but if you're not flexible in your hips you'll struggle a bit.

Works for me. Well, so far :-)

Thanks for that Zimcruza, that's what I've been trying to do - but I'm not sure if I've had my left foot planted in the right place (well obviously not as I've managed to knock the darn thing over 3 times) - I just need to get more flexability in my hips - the wife will be pleased  :grin:

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 20:13:39 »
You're not parking it on a downward slope at work are you? It'll happily roll off its stand with little encouragement while facing downhill.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 20:17:23 »
just John Wayne it,,, Side stand down ,, stand on ledt peg an stride off .. simples :shrug:

Offline salex

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 20:21:19 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
You're not parking it on a downward slope at work are you? It'll happily roll off its stand with little encouragement while facing downhill.

now you mention it, it was stood at the top of a downhill slope this morning. if fact the front wheel may have moved a little when I went to get off. That may explain what happened. Tomorrow I'm going to stop it further back, get off (without dropping it) and then walk it down the slope to the garage!!! Jacko you're a genius  :clap:

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 20:51:36 »
when parking on slopes - always face up hill, in gear with a chock/kerb under the back wheel is possible.

if its facing downhill and you move it forward while throwing a leg over you can flip up the side stand and thinking it's still down, end up pinned under the bike on it's side.

or

just find a flat bit and walk a bit further.   :shrug:

Ride Coordinator

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 20:53:18 »
Being a lanky bastard I don't have the problems you describe, but if you're parking on any sort of slope try leaving the bike in first when you stop. This will keep it solid and steady when you're getting on and off which may help given what you're describing.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 20:54:24 »
See, you're learning stuff. Aren't forums great. :)

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 20:56:20 »
Hmm, I don't know why but I always grab a chunk of front brake when I getting on the bike.

I imagine it'd do pretty much the same thing as leaving it in first, no?

Offline salex

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 20:56:39 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
See, you're learning stuff. Aren't forums great. :)

I really am learning loads, cheers everyone. :ty:

Offline JRS81

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 21:06:47 »
Quote from: "Frankenstrom"
Hmm, I don't know why but I always grab a chunk of front brake when I getting on the bike.

Yes (I do the same  :) ), but leaving it in first also stops it rolling off the stand in case of steep slopes/big gusts of wind! It's now just habit for me!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 21:15:52 »
I grab the front brake always... even on the mrs 125 Marauder than weight as much as a feather pillow.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 21:17:29 »
Quote from: "Frankenstrom"

I do this when getting on too, I do it to stop it moving forward as I may inadvertently push the bars forward while getting on, habit.

Offline Frankenstrom

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 21:22:39 »
Well I'm in good company...  :)