Author Topic: Questions for Suzuki  (Read 12613 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Questions for Suzuki
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:19 »
3,500 service intervals are a pain, I've only just had my 4k, now I'm only 1,000 miles away from my 7.5k. I've hardly been anywhere, it's actually stopping me riding it, preferring instead to use my other bike to put the next service off a bit. Surely that can't be right.

If they've retained the 3.500 service intervals then I won't be buying one until the warranty period is out.

Offline essexbloke

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:39 »
I very recently had a very long chat with my local dealer about the new bike as he knows I've had more than my fair share of Suzuki's over the last 10 yrs.  He also knows that I'm about to chop in a 61 plated BMW GSA that I've just done 20k miles on in the next 5 weeks, and they know I'm in the market for a replacement so they've invited me to their official launch event.

He has told me that there will apparently be some very tempting deals to be had on the night to entice people to sign up then and there, especially as we won't even be allowed to fire a bike up on the night - let alone test ride it!  He couldn't confirm, but there was apparently a rumour at one point that free luggage was mentioned.

I know there is a still a lot of speculation over what is/isn't, but he reckons that they're being told it'll be 10k for the base model, so in realistic terms - I reckon you can expect to pay up to about 11,500-12k for a fully loaded option.

Is that really overpriced in the market? - if it's as good as everyone thinks it will be - I don't think so.  It''ll never compare to the BMW or the other biggies - but then mine was also about 18k delivered! Nor is it the same as the KTM - but that's also 14k+  and the Super Tenere - well - when you add all the toys - it's all about 14k....  The Triumph Explorer is very similar to the BMW when you start ticking the options boxes (I recently priced up a direct comparison to my BMW)

You also need to remember that The new Strom is not really in the same category as all these heavy weights.  So it's actually a little harsh to compare them directly.

So - 12k fully loaded is way cheaper.  sure it's more expensive than the Kwak - but having owned kwaks before - in my experience there's generally a reason for the low price tag - and can you really compare this to a bland Versys?  I don't think so, it's like saying the TDM, Fazer, or that weird Honda "crossover" is just like it! (no - it really isn't) So I actually think 10-12k is fair.  Again - it's all new after all.

As for the looks etc - you can see from the rest of the "adventure" type market that they are all very similar - so given that Suzuki are releasing a new machine - why wouldn't they head down the similar route. Lets face it - these are functional bikes - and not designed as proper lookers!

I'd be wanting to know when any special models are likely to be released I.e the equivalent full "Adventure" spec model.

As for luggage - instead of asking Suzuki for options - surely that's a job for people like SW Motech, or Givi, or Touratech (I'm assuming they are already in the planning/design phase) rather than Suzuki?

4k servicing is interesting though - most others are now at 6k, so that could be an issue.... (especially as I do up to  20k per year)

Will certainly be a few interesting months ahead though....   Am I really keen - hell yeah, am I tempted enough to put down a deposit on launch night - hmmm maybe....  am I more likly to see what it what when the dust settles - quite possible...      And - an exact "live" date for us that need these answers would be really handy!
'Twas the evil voices that made me do it......

Offline mike5

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:51 »
I know there are already several questions about service intervals, but I would like to add my input.  The Suzuki pattern of 3500 mile service intervals or even 4000 miles as someone has suggested is completely unacceptable.  This short period is old school thinking and does not reflect many modern materials and practices. The short period leads to unacceptable service costs and inconvenience of getting frequent services.  

As an example my 2012 650 VStrom has just had its 3rd service and is still only 11 months old.  It has cost me £438 for service so far.  Much greater than the car.  It would have been even greater if I had agreed to the changing of the Iridium plugs at 7500 miles, not the 20K to 30K the plug manufacturers state.

Come on Suzuki you have good products.  Catch up with market trends on servicing and take a lead from other manufacturers and the car industry.  If you don't short service intervals will come back and effect sales.

Offline frez

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 10:10:22 »
Have they checked there is no annoying vibration at a paticular rev range with the engine bars fitted?

How do the fog lights fit, do you need the engine bars to mount them on?
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline johnapp

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 10:16:49 »
I think another contributor put it well when he asked this was rather like asking a question after the fact, anyway:-

The tank should have as large a range as possible 250 miles plus
 The screen should be (maybe it is) good at deflecting the wind over your head and not cause any buffeting, we will see,if it's half as good as a Givi screen & madstad brackets it'll be fine.
 It seemed a good opportunity to enclose the chain similar to the early Yamaha v twins  which would have   alleviated the carping from the BMW/Triumph Explorer etc brigade about chain maintenance and shown it to be different from the Caponords/Multistradas of this world and make a thing about it in the press.

All these things could have been addressed at minimal cost compared to the engineering work that Suzuki have carried out thus far.

Offline frez

« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:09 »
Quote from: "essexbloke"
So - 12k fully loaded is way cheaper.  sure it's more expensive than the Kwak - but having owned kwaks before - in my experience there's generally a reason for the low price tag

We've had 4 Suzukis and 3 Kawasakis, and I'd say the Kawasaki build quality is better than the Suzukis. We've also had 1 Peugeot, 1 Aprilia, 5 Hondas, 2 Yamahas and 1 BMW, and Suzuki is towards the lower end of all of them as far as resistance to our British weather is concerned.

I'd be interested to know where you think Kawasaki cut corners on the Versys 1000 as I'll bear that in mind when I test it alongside the new vee.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Chrisstrom

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 11:00:26 »
After switching to a super 10 from the 650 as the 1000 was discontinued at the time, why should I buy the me 1000 when I change my bike next year?
You can only do, what you can do

Offline Jacko

(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:45 »
In answer to essexblokes comment on pricing, I'd like to say that £9,999 is + OTR, so let's say around £10,150 OTR. OK, now this is where problems arise, the brand new class leader, and the pinnacle of Adventure bikes (arguably), the GS1200 is £11,650 OTR. Both are base models. So, at that sort of money, and with only £1,500 separating the models I'd guess most would just throw in for the GS.

Offline daveat

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 11:31:38 »
1.  Price...If one can get a new Versys with panniers for just £8600 then the new V-Strom is way over priced..we all know its not in the same league as KTM and BMW.

2.  A decent sized tank....you don't have to fill it completely if you're just bumbling about but for touring a greater range is a big bonus.

3.  Buffeting....With all the talk of wind tunnel testing I hope that aftermarket add ons will not be needed.

4.  Chain...fine, but how about a factory fitted unit like a Pro Oiler?

5.  Luggage....Will there be larger lids to increase the basic small capacity? (think old Deauville)

6.  Service intervals....Surely with new technology and Suzukis' technical background they could easily match the intervals now being reached by their competitors.

Offline Redsoul

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 12:54:58 »
As for price,another cpl of months and some nice cold weather and dealers will be knocking out Yamaha S10,s  for £10,000 again this winter.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 14:38:59 »
On the price again, I guess they've priced it with one eye on the fact that most of their large capacity bikes seem to have at least £750 off virtually all of the time, so that'll make it £9,350 OTR, which is still dear but doesn't seem so bad.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 14:40:54 »
Yup, price is definitely a bit steep, but then, its the recommended retail price. Dealers will soon have lower priced near zero mile showroom orphans to punt out, after all, just look at the competition £10k will bring on a 3 minute browse of MCN:

Versys £8990 new, unregistered, full luggage.
Crosstourer £9495 '13 plate, 171 miles
Explorer 1200 £10166 '13 13 miles

And my favourite for today...

Caponord 1200, £9999, '13 plate, 112 miles, full travel pack version. Active suspension and cruise control

Am I bothered by it being a 13 and not a 63 plate? Or by having a small mileage? ummm, in a word, no.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 15:26:39 »
The RRP will be much higher than the 'real prices' within months.

Questions: Seat height ?

Scope for adjustability in seat height: Suzuki alternative seats, gel?

Service intervals.

As 2112 asks: any more-off-road version (not serious off-road) eg wire wheels, good bash-plate etc
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Firestorm

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 15:29:53 »
Yes, the price will be an issue but as customers we would say that wouldn't we? Remember Yamaha Super Tens when they came out? Once it became apparent they weren't going to shift them the price soon came down and tough sh*t to the Folks who bought one for 2 grand more only a few weeks previous.
If Suzuki shift the quota fairly easily then the price will stay just over 10 grand. If us, as the paying customers, stay away then there will be some 'realignment' through cash back, free luggage etc. A fully loaded one for £10k would be pretty good!

And here's one they could address now - PLEASE include a centre stand as standard. Looking at the pics the fully loaded one has one, the base ones don't. Its a cheapskate trick so please address it before they go on sale

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 15:37:02 »
So we want really bad reviews from the press, then the prices come down!

Another Q: Underseat storage. Seems traditional for a strom to have decent space there... :)
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline big john

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 16:17:55 »
all the questions  I've read are spot on the o0nly one missing is why has it taken so long and will it be as exciting  on road as well as off road the 4k service is a joke I did that while driving round France needs a good looking at plus if I exchange my wasps will it be a good deal for vstrom to vstrom otherwise I will keep my DL1000
all the best from Big John

Offline Gordon T

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 16:26:22 »
OK, done some ringing around over the last few days. Versys 1000 with luggage best price £8450 for a straight OTR cash sale. BMW R1200gs base model (no extras) £11490 cash sale. So there is some discounting going on albeit a small amount but its showing the new Vstrom is excessivley overpriced for what it is.
Whoooosh!!!!!! `What was that?` That was your life passing by. `Can I have another go as I havent done anything yet?`........ Sorry, only one go for everyone.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 16:43:36 »
Yeah... if it genuinely is £10,000 I just can't see how it competes I'm afraid. You could get a Triumph Explorer with luggage for that, plus 0% finance at the dealer I spoke to about Explorers... sure, there are plenty of Suzuki fans who will buy it anyways because they know all about the good Suzuki brand traits, fuel economy, etc. But there's no way an undecided buyer will look at the Triumph Explorer and the new DL1000 and say "I think I'll pay more money for the less powerful, less well equipped bike please."

And if that wasn't enough, the fact that the Versys (again, more powerful) with luggage is £1,500 cheaper completely kills off the DL1000 at £10,000. Even if the DL1000 is 10mpg more fuel efficient, it'd take between 5 and 10 years to make up the difference in lower fuel bills I'd say depending on your mileage. And if the service intervals on the DL1000 really are still 3.5k compared to Kawasaki's 7k, that's yet another nail in its coffin.

£10,000 is the price for early adopters only. As I say, I'm sure they'll sell a few because it'll be in all the magazines for a while and there'll be a bit of a buzz. But they'll have to knock that price down pretty significantly and pretty quickly if they want sustained sales in my opinion! Therefore, early adopters will take a pretty serious depreciation hit when they come to sell.

Offline james.t

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 16:46:09 »
OK a bit of topic (sorry) my local Suzuki (alford brothers folkestone) have invited me to the vip open day
2nd november I can sit on it but no riding.
j

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red. 2021 Royal Enfield 500 Classic stealth.
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 16:46:47 »
For the safety of pedestrians Car and motorcycle manufacturers have gradually removed all the sharp pointy bits from the front end of their vehicles. It was not that many years ago that, in the UK, number plates were no longer required to be fitted to the front of motorcycles. I believe there was good evidence to show that the number plate presented a serious hazard when a motorcycle was in collision with a pedestrian.

1/.  When Suzuki designed the beak, from their research, which age group was shown to be most at risk in the event of a collision?

2/.  Is the injury more likely to be a puncture to the chest or the head?

3/.  Or is the beak soft and squidgy?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.