Author Topic: Glee - MPG  (Read 679 times)

Offline Timo

Glee - MPG
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:13:00 »
Just been reading a thread on this in the Stromtrooper site and thought I might share my post with you UK strommers:

I took my Glee to Spain in the summer - top box and soft luggage strapped on the rear seat. Averaged late 50s (Imperial mpg) EXCEPT on one occasion when I was late to rendezvous with a friend who had come down from Blighty to join me.

He was waiting for me at a junction on the autoroute; I was an hour late. What a road! Three lanes, it swooped and curved over the hills and mountains, stunning views. The speed limit was 75 mph (national) but there was NOTHING on the road. I pinned the accelerator in a way I simply never would normally. The speedo was hovering around 110 mph (I know it's exaggerated) for an hour but, hell, the Strom was as steady as a rock. Checked the mpg after I met my mate: 34 mpg (Imperial)! Back to normal after we left the autoroute - high 50s, early 60s mpg.

Oh, one thing - I discovered: contrary to popular belief the police in Spain appear kinder than some. At one point, I was shaken when 2 bikes thundered past me - they must have been doing about 130 mph. I hadn't picked em up in the mirrors (I know, bad awareness). They were cops! They both just gave me a wave and hammered on. My mate said that they stopped to speak to him whilst he was waiting at the autoroute junction to say (in a friendly way) he shouldn't be waiting there. He said he was waiting for a friend and apparently they smiled and told him I would be along soon! A nice little adventure and an example of motorbike cops being a bit different as they seem to be the world over.