Author Topic: My Glee handles like..  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
My Glee handles like..
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:03 »
...a sportsbike.

On the way back from Wales on Sunday I was passed by an R1 and an S1000rr on the Whitchurch bypass, heading East on the A525. They both had a small amount of gear on the back seat, I had full luggage and a rollbag and tent on the back seat. Now, you're expecting a tale of magnificent heroics detailing my ability to ride the wheels off the bike and stick with them, sorry to disappoint. What actually happened is, once we got out of town, they turned on their talent, and barely stayed in front of me while I was just having my normal semi-rapid ride, certainly not pulling up any trees or even trying to keep up, at one point I even thought about passing them as I wanted to get home. The problem was they just couldn't ride those bikes properly on those roads, their brake lights were on more than they were off and I hardly touched mine, just nice a flowing ride while they were scratching, slowly. Hanging off, squirting out of corners, making it look really fast when it wasn't, too much effort no reward. I was giggling like a kid.

What they must have thought when they kept checking their mirrors (and they did) and saw me a few yards behind them looking around and relaxed while they were riding the wheels off their racing bikes and hanging off like baboons is anyones guess, the possibilities amused me. What they might not have realised is I come from where they are, I've had sportsbikes (still have), and my experience taught me two things relevant to that situation on that day:

1, They were shocking sportsbike riders, all power and no ability, they should have easily cleared off, but couldn't. And...

2, The Glee handles like a sportsbike.

Folk just don't expect you to be able to do that on a bike like the DL650, but they do expect you to be a good rider when you pass them on a four year old R1, and when you're not it's very funny.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
Re: My Glee handles like..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:48:34 »
Aye, a classic "all the gear, no idea" scenario.

They probably had a raft of excuses as to why you were right there with them, none of which included your bike or your abilities.

At least it kept you amused on your bimble.... :clap:

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:09 »
I have overtaken a nervous rider on a R1 before in the wet. I've outrun sportsbike riders cross country who only caught up with me when I slowed to the speed limit in town. But equally I have been passed by a pair of riders on a R1 and R6 who could really shift and I reached the limits of what my suspension was willing to put up with.

I'd say for every rider on a sports bike that knows what they are doing there are several that are clueless.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline kirky1298

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:01:47 »
you are obviously a riding god and I kneel before you .   :text-datsphatyo:  :text-datsphatyo:
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space

Offline Mick 85

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 13:45:20 »
It sounds to me that they were having fun and knew their limits. Maybe they weren't the greatest riders, but that's not such an issue is it ? They'll learn, and in the meantime they'll fall off slowly. I wish them well.
Suzuki Vstrom 650
Kawasaki KLR650

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 13:52:05 »
Haha how true. Happened to me on Sunday, riding back from settle (new PR3s on) taking it easy stuck behind a car and double whites, two power rangers come along and go for it over taking me and the car. Now I thought shall I have a bit of fun .... oh yes, I'm sure one of them was riding with the back brake stuck on, they started to panic and brake in the corners  :crazy: I actually had to back off  :grin: got to the tee junction and they could believe I was on a 650 storm  :text-datsphatyo: saying that my neighbour could piss all over me when I was on the R1 and he was on his 916. There's always someone faster and better I suppose  :eusa-doh:

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 13:54:20 »
This is part of the reason why I wouldn't want a sportsbike or to dress up like a power ranger... everyone would expect me to be faster than I am! Would be embarrassing to be on an R1 and be overtaken by slower bikes all the time, but not so embarrassing when faster bikes overtake me on my Glee!

That said, I was surprised at how rarely I was overtaken in the Alps, so perhaps I'm not as slow as I think I am.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 13:56:23 »
Quote from: "Mick 85"
It sounds to me that they were having fun and knew their limits. Maybe they weren't the greatest riders, but that's not such an issue is it ? They'll learn, and in the meantime they'll fall off slowly. I wish them well.

Having to brake hard into every bend when it isn't necessary isn't knowing your limits, it's riding beyond them and then having to haul it all back in.

My point is if you're at that stage of learning, panic braking at every bend, then top spec litre sportsbikes are not for you. Those who think I was posting it as some sort of boast are welcome to miss-read or misinterpret it if they like, in return I'll disregard any posts where the author seems to have done just that. Everyone's happy. :thumb:

Offline Jacko

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 14:03:50 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
This is part of the reason why I wouldn't want a sportsbike or to dress up like a power ranger... everyone would expect me to be faster than I am! Would be embarrassing to be on an R1 and be overtaken by slower bikes all the time, but not so embarrassing when faster bikes overtake me on my Glee!

That said, I was surprised at how rarely I was overtaken in the Alps, so perhaps I'm not as slow as I think I am.

It's not about speed, it's about riding, overtaking a sportsbike while on a slower bike isn't embarrassing for the sportsbike rider. I have folk overtake me all the time on slower bikes while out on mine, it's fine, you ride your own ride. These blokes, however, weren't out for a trundle, they were really trying, but not getting anywhere, and THAT was my point. Seems I didn't put it across so well, never mind.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 14:29:57 »
Maybe, but don't you think subconsciously at least you expected them to be faster than they are because they were on powerful sportsbikes? If they were still trying to go as fast as they could but riding badly on middle-weight adventure tourers, I'm guessing you wouldn't have thought it so amusing?

Fairly or unfairly, motorcyclists do stereotype other motorcyclists based on what they're riding all the time I think. It's understandable too, when riding you often only have seconds to observe something and make an informed guess about what's going to happen next. If I see a sportsbike appear in my mirrors I tend to allow plenty of space for him/her to overtake me, as I think the chances are they'll be faster and want to get by. On the other hand, if I see a scooter while in London I become hyper-aware of doing maximum observations if I do any slight change of direction at all, because I anticipate that they could be overtaking me dangerously on the inside or similar. If I see a cruiser rider, I anticipate the danger of tassels flying off the bike and into my visor...  :grin:

Anyway, all that is stereotyping motorcyclists based on what they ride, and given time to think I wouldn't do that. But in the moment, you do make those split-second assumptions.

I think if another motorcyclist spots me on my Glee, in the moment they think "this bloke is probably not cruiser slow, but probably not sportsbike quick either." Which is probably about right, so I'm happy to be identified that way. If I had a sportsbike, I think a lot of other riders would be laughing at me for not riding quickly enough.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 14:37:23 »
I understand. Don't forget I'm a current sports bike rider too, full leathers, the works.

Maybe you just had to be there...

Offline kirky1298

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 16:45:37 »
Quote from: "Jacko"
Quote from: "Mick 85"

Having to brake hard into every bend when it isn't necessary isn't knowing your limits, it's riding beyond them and then having to haul it all back in.

My point is if you're at that stage of learning, panic braking at every bend, then top spec litre sportsbikes are not for you. Those who think I was posting it as some sort of boast are welcome to miss-read or misinterpret it if they like, in return I'll disregard any posts where the author seems to have done just that. Everyone's happy. :thumb:

When you post pish like this ....
 I was giggling like a kid.
What they must have thought when they kept checking their mirrors (and they did) and saw me a few yards behind them.

I interpret this as a nobber pushing 2 fellow bikers down the road and possibly out of their comfort zones which , could in fact have led to an off for one of the less experienced riders .
Riders are perfectly entitled to buy whatever bike takes their fancy and dress up like some leather clad circuis clown if they so desire .  What they shouldn't have to put up with is some tit sitting right up their arses and shoving them down the road .
The way I interpret it is that 1 of 3 things should or could have happened ,

1 You being a more advanced rider should have seen their antics and hung back adopting a defensive riding style , relaxed and enjoyed a bimble home whilst watching the comedy of errors unfold before you .
2 You should have assessed the situation , identified the danger and Passed the other riders when safe to do so .
3. The other riders should have been aware of your presence and let you past if they felt outwith their own comfort zones . It doesn't make you any less of a biker to acknowledge someone behind you who has more skill and flash an indicator or give a hand signal to let them pass .

that's exactly how I interpreted your post . but Hello ho , you probably had to be there .  :thumb:
If you're not living on the edge you're just taking up space

Offline Jacko

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 17:17:27 »
Number 1 pretty much covers it, thanks for your input.

Offline frez

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 19:05:16 »
It's funny how people read a post and then take an extreme position on it, reminds me of the trolls on the local newspaper site.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 17:19:45 »
Confirms my suspicion that if you buy a 120 hp , light as a feather, 150 mph machine you are wasting your time getting insurance and road tax. The distance you can see and unknown road surface and traffic conditions mean either you don't use all you paid for or have a death wish. Now on a track you can make the most of it.

I'm actually fast coming to the conclusion I don't even need the wee's performance.

The worst bit of death wish riding I've seen this week though was a paneuropean overtaking into on coming traffic. Another bit of 100 mph technology restricted to 30 by tractors in the road until the rider decided to risk himself, his pillion and my chances of not having to see him die to get behind a different tractor a minute sooner.

Andy

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 17:25:54 »
Not sure about that Andy... I agree that no-one needs a bike capable of a high top speed on a public road, but for me the advantage of a powerful bike comes in the acceleration. If your bike is quicker accelerating from say 50-70 that means you'll spend less time on the wrong side of the road while overtaking.

But I do agree that I don't need a bike capable of taking corners at track day levels of speed because I'd never really feel confident enough while out on a public road to do that either way.

This is why I'd like a powerful bike, but am happy with adventure style bikes... I'm perfectly happy with the handling I already have on my Glee, but I'd like a bit more grunt for overtakes I think.

Offline blackops

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 18:23:04 »
Let them ride to their own ability Jacko as we all do. Why would you ridicule 2 fellow bikers in this way? Your post has no meaning.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 19:07:26 »
It was a post about how well my Glee handles and an amusing experience I had that demonstrates it, I shared, I'm done defending it. I'll keep things to myself in future.

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 21:56:27 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Not sure about that Andy... I agree that no-one needs a bike capable of a high top speed on a public road, but for me the advantage of a powerful bike comes in the acceleration. If your bike is quicker accelerating from say 50-70 that means you'll spend less time on the wrong side of the road while overtaking.

I agree with this. I have come from a Blackbird and it certainly lent authority to overtakes even two up with luggage.

In fact looking back it was a safe bike to ride. Having a powerful engine, great brakes and suspension and grippy tyres meant there was always plenty in hand for the unexpected.
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 22:13:49 »
Don't worry mate... I fully understand what you mean.

I tend to hang back from sports bike riders when you can see they are not comfy with what the bike is capable of and I know what I am capable and comfortable doing with the strom.
Never a chicken strip when I had the anakee 2's fitted (but the K60's hardly show wear to the edge yet I am banking over further then before.  :shrug: )

Like you, I can plod along and keep with a lot of the sports bike boys on a sunny Sunday but, I tend to choose lanes and ruff roads that would be a sports bikes worst nightmare.
Put me on the local national speed limit roads around where my parents live and I'll eat an R1 and tidy rider for breakfast (and have done on many occasions) and I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm not a fast rider... I've been described as a steady rider.

I do believe you are relating to the strom ability to be a comfortable bike but also a bike that's easy to learn how to ride briskly with confidence and not a bike that scares the $hit out of the average rider.

Bikes with 150+ BHP do have their place... and yes it's called a track if you intend to use each and every pony.
The public roads are not the place to be show boating and racing each other. 3 bikers have died in in Wales according to BBC Wales since last wed... all on fast sports bikes, now there most likely are other factors to consider, but no one I know with a sports bike pops to the shops 1 miles away without giving it a blast. these fast powerful bikes are designed for egos that need to be indulged and receive a dose of adrenaline.
Doesn't mean the rider can corner for a damn.  :angry-tappingfoot:

But for what it's worth yes the strom's size and 645cc V-twin engine leads you to believe it's going to be some big heavy soft, that has some pretensions of going offroad, but lacks any real power for anything.
The strom handles well, not just for a big tall bike, but well for any bike, sure the suspension is a little on the soft side, but she'll hold on the twisties and with the engine with a serious case of multiple personalities, roar, snort and growl her way out of the corner.

So to sum up, I'm a steady rider, with a capable bike, that inspires confidence and as a package can be riding my strom alongside some fat bloke on a cbr (etc) in his race (gimp) leathers whipping his arse with a ridding crop to see if he can go faster. :auto-dirtbike:

Oh and if the strom ain't got enough get up and go, you may (like me) need to get up and get your fat arse to the gym.  :neen:

Ride Coordinator