Author Topic: Anyone ordered one  (Read 6627 times)

Offline TrevorKent

Anyone ordered one
« on: September 18, 2013, 21:59:12 »
Have put my gixer into my local dealer with intent of putting that and my glee towards a new 1000 next spring. Anyone else committed themselves without actually seeing one ?

Offline Strombone

Re: Anyone ordered one
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 06:49:54 »
Only mentally, if you know what I mean :)

Offline Redsoul

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:21:09 »
Not committed yet.....only on day release lol

Offline TrevorKent

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:58:08 »
Some of my mates say I should be committed for selling my mint gixer, problem is age is catching up with me and my wrists ache when I ride it

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:14:43 »
Quote from: "TrevorKent"
Have put my gixer into my local dealer with intent of putting that and my glee towards a new 1000 next spring. Anyone else committed themselves without actually seeing one ?
Not Alford Bros, by any chance?

Offline frez

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:53 »
I'll probably get one, but not before a test ride and 'essential' accessories are available.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 12:35:23 »
How could anyone commit now? There's no price confirmed and an expected band atleast £2K wide.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Moorsie

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 13:13:20 »
I've put my name down for one at Crescent, but I can back out if I decide against it

Offline TrevorKent

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 15:20:00 »
Simon yes , yellow and black k5

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 15:50:14 »
To ride a gixer for more than an hour you need to be a chimpanzee.

Offline frez

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 16:01:53 »
The secret to sore wrists is either to ride faster so the wind takes your weight, lose weight so there is less on your wrists, or man up.

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 13:23:27 »
Quote from: "TrevorKent"
Simon yes , yellow and black k5
Ah, Mark mentioned he'd sold his first one the other day. I asked why he's sold my bike without asking me first! (Though I won't commit till pricing is confirmed.)

Offline V24GUS

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 20:52:16 »
I've waited since 2009 for this new 1000.  I had a 2007 1000GT and sold it in 2011 and bought a 650 XP model and regretted it due to the lack of power, torque and sound.  I will definitely buy this new model. I have tried a Triumph  Explorer (good power but a bit top heavy, and lacked a bit of soul) Cross tourer (Heavy but nicely finished SuperTen (OK but nothing special) and a GS Adventure (you need a long warranty and a good dealer to fix these things).  The original 1000 was a great bike, excellent value, that great V twin sound, and a comfortable lively adventure tourer. The new bike takes all this to a new level. Better power and torque, very good MPG, traction control. Bring it on... Why have we had to wait so long Suzuki?

Offline TrevorKent

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 19:21:33 »
Been into Alfords in the week, dealer newsletter states price will be around £10000 which is what I thought, so roll on spring

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
  • Bike: DL650, SV1000, Triumph Street Twin, Yam XT350 and Hon CX500
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 15:28:48 »
List price will be what Suzuki are trying to best guess right now. Their dealers are building a list of prospects. That's a list of us likely to buy with a rating of just how likely and their margin on each sale. What they might do about the actual price you pay (or costs to change) could be to get as many interested as possible and then play the scarce and low availability game on you. Or there are only brown ones left at that price sir. It's what all this publicity is about after all. Makes you likely to snatch their hand off the day they ring and say one is in the offing but it will be a grand over the list or talked about price. Honda dealer played it with me a few times. "Less than a hundred ordered for the UK this year sir". I used to say the money is waiting, you know my trade in is good and you probably have a buyer lined up for that, so ring me up when you have the bike I want at the price I asked/cost to change that we agreed. Worked a few times and what's the problem if the bike you ride now is fine. Suzuki have committed to make or made them by now. Suzuki GB have committed to import and sell a certain number by now. Their job at this stage is making certain they get the most money out of us for them. I'm guessing they even know the day the first truck load will be ready to leave the warehouse in MK.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com
Website http://www.vibefreev.com/

Offline frez

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 15:50:58 »
They know its almost identical in spec to the Versys 1000 (£9.6k), and below the spec of the Super Tenere that comes with shaft drive (£12k), they also know that £10k is a magic number and they will want to come in under that. Somewhere between £9599 and £9999 for the base model is my guess, but they will have "touring" models with the luggage and various accessories for more which the dealers will try and push. If it comes in under the Versys price they will give Kawasaki a serious problem.

Offline daveat

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 00:59:11 »
Yes, but I was offered a new Versys 1k with panniers for just £8600 the other day...so makes the Suzuki at £10k seem a tad overpriced expensive!

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 07:55:29 »
Quote from: "daveat"
Yes, but I was offered a new Versys 1k with panniers for just £8600 the other day...so makes the Suzuki at £10k seem a tad overpriced expensive!

A very, very relevant point. Well it is a depressed economy and that time of the season where they don't want too much money tied up in stock over the winter and perhaps a mildly revised model is on the cards for next year. My guess is that price still has a least £1000 left in it before they are selling at cost to the warehouse door (half each for dealer and importer). I think the importers dictate/control the actual price of their bikes with schemes in any case. And the Versys has plenty of engineering so is great value for that sort of money.

Versys is perhaps one reason why Suzuki took the engine out to 1037 cc to blur any comparison with it's Japanese neighbour. Suzuki will know they have to match or just better Versys feature for feature and might get away with a real price premium of up to £500 for a while because its a new model. One thing they could not do when the factory used to let Kawasaki have VStroms to put Kawasaki badges on. Remember KLV1000?

Perhaps £8,500 in two years when the novelty has worn off. I'm not likely to sink even that into something I have to take to a dealers twice a year that's a 70 mile and two hours round trip to have serviced so it holds its value (a Suzuki retain value I hear some ask). Double that if you consider drop off and collect trips (two ways on the bus or having to get someone run you about). Or simply once to show them something that needs attention for the dealer to say "perhaps look next time it's in for service sir". And then find they don't. Need a good dealer near by before I would consider ordering one. Or something to overcome the problems lack of a dealer and support brings about. Perhaps inspection, book stamped, oil and filter change while you wait? It's all they should need. But then they don't get time to think how it's going to cost you a £100 more than it really should.
Please contact me directly about clutch basket modifications. john@vibefreev.com

Offline skinny5216

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 09:57:02 »
Not a feckin chance. Anyone found out the servicing schedule.  :crazy:

Offline sharealike

• Site Donator
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2013, 11:51:42 »
Quote from: "skinny5216"
Not a feckin chance. Anyone found out the servicing schedule.  :crazy:

Nothing yet. Best we get is oil volume 3.5l. And "Read you owners manual carefully". Which you only get once you bought one if lucky.

Joking aside that's something we need to know. Valves at 18,000 miles and oil every 4,000 most likely. Valves important as new design cylinder head and no-one knows which way they will go. Increase or decrease that is.