Author Topic: Weird Glee review in MCN  (Read 8752 times)

Offline loggamatt

Weird Glee review in MCN
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:26:39 »
Really weird round up test of the Glee, BMW F700GS and Honda NCX700 and CBX500 in this week's MCN. Weird in the sense that in the write-up it sounds like the Glee was the clear winner, but they somehow gave the win to the CBX500.

It was like "and the DL650 is just superb at everything and a wonderful bike and truly amazing.... and the winner is....... the Honda."  Really odd!

Offline Iggy

Re: Weird Glee review in MCN
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:13 »
Sounds like normal MCN rubbish to me.

It'll be the old MCN 'Newest model is always best' policy. They've had that implemented for as long as I can remember.  :angry-tappingfoot:

Along with the 'This bikes OK, but if you want xxx and your riding is xxx and etc etc... Then this could be all the bike you need......'  ###

Old habits die hard and it looks like there's no need to start buying it again.  

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:15 »
Whichever manufacturer is buying the most advertising at the moment wins.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:56:42 »
I don't buy that comic anymore.

Offline stevee_p

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:20 »
They've done what can only be described as a shite video on YouTube about it too. I watched the majority of it last night. Proper pointless.
2002 K2 DL1000
Leo Vince, Givi, Corbin, Power Commander
http://www.pbase.com/stevee_p

Offline nelmo

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:27 »
You can't get upset and refuse to read the mag just because your bike doesn't win the group test  :crazy:   :)

I haven't read it but I bet the deciding factor will have been price - the Honda must be a grand or 2 cheaper and for a lot of people (myself included), that is a major point.

I've seen posts complaining about MCN before but every time I go and read the offending article, it seems perfectly fair to me - certainly no worse than other mags.
I've been called crazy but us squirrels aren't upset by name-calling...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 13:03:32 »
Quote from: "frez"
Whichever manufacturer is buying the most advertising at the moment wins.
Same old, same old... they will never change.

nelmo, it's not just about the Glee, this is a recurring theme for MCN. Who ever puts them up in the nicest hotels in sunny foreign countries and pays the bill for the food and drink seems to be the manufacturer of the "best" bike. Suzuki doesn't have a habit of splurging a lot on journalists so Suzuki's just aren't the "best" in "MCN land", not to mention that if it's not a sportsbike/looking like one it can't be the best, that'll just be mad :crazy:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline stevee_p

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 13:13:05 »
With regards to the video, it was pointless, not because of the verdict, but just because it didn't really go anywhere.
2002 K2 DL1000

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 13:39:52 »
This months issue of "Bike" Magazine has given out its "Bike of the Year" award to ....... wait for it ...... the new GS. I think anyone could have guessed that. Whether it's the best or not doesn't seem to be the point, it's just the one feigned over and hyped to oblivion, where there was a massive launch party somewhere hot. So predicatable.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 14:02:16 »
I've just watched the vid, the Vstrom comes out by far the best. They like the little CB, and expressed surprise regarding its refinement (for £5k) and ride quality but the experience among the four said the Vstrom was the one that could do everything and the one they'd take home. Can't argue with that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXDEA6zR ... Y2I5URSC7g

They finish with 'for novices the CBx, for experienced riders the Vstrom'. I wonder if the point of the test in the paper was to find the best of the four as a first bike?

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 16:07:39 »
Having seen the video now, that's actually alright I think... happy with their reasoning in that. Seems they're basically saying that if you're physically too small for the Glee then the CB500 is best, otherwise the Glee is best. Can't fault that.

That was also pretty much what they said in the text of the article. But then they stuck a big "Verdict - CB500 is the winner!" bit on the end. It seems like the verdict doesn't match what they actually say in the article text or in the video. That test should have had joint winners, CB500 for some riders and Glee for others.

Offline geekay

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 16:42:32 »
tell you what though - that cb500X looks great - love the styling and under £5k?

I'm not saying I'd have one - I think the 650 is underpowered, but really at 5k - that thing deserves to take some sales

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 16:46:35 »
I guess, but with cashback and haggling you could probably get a Glee down to well below £6k... and for the sake of a few hundred more the Glee seems better in almost every way from what I can see. Unless, as the article says, you're a new rider and small of stature in which case the CB500 may be more manageable.

Offline geekay

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 16:48:27 »
good point - but again, the cb500 will also be eligible for discounting and haggling - what might you get it for - imagine it at £4300? - its great value.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 16:56:41 »
Alright, you make a fair point :)

I'd personally say the CB500 variants make a great great bike for someone who has just passed their DAS... I wish they were around when I passed mine early last year. I bet they'll sell shed loads to rider training places. Also, as a commuter bike they make a hell of a lot of sense to me, especially for the price as you say. But I don't think I'd like to do a big mileage tour on one, which is why for me the Glee is worth the extra.

Offline geekay

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 17:04:43 »
totally agree - I wouldn't fancy taking it to the south of France (although it would probably do it just fine)

but commuting, weekends away, weekend leisure riding, new riders (as you say) its got a lot going for - so have lots of bikes of course.

Offline stevee_p

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 19:21:35 »
I love the look of both the nc700x and the cb500x.

For my style of riding, I think the nc700x ticks lots of boxes (bearing in mind I haven't ridden one) . But in the same respect I cannot get away from the fact that they aren't exactly powerful. Coming in at 50bhp, they are literally half the power of the bike I sold yesterday.
Obviously it's all personal opinion etc so only myself and a test ride will determine what is right.

I think one factor with these 2 is the size, coming in at 6'3" I am possibly too tall for them. But the pricing is a massive plus point.

Also, the cb500x has a really slender back tyre, which makes it look a bit.... Lame!
2002 K2 DL1000

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 19:48:06 »
Had an hour on a cb500x.
For those thinking anywhere near negatively about it... test one. I did q little while back.
Plenty of power low down, feels like a twin with the vibes, then get past 4k and she sings and takes off. Nimble, good suspension but limited by lack of adjutlstabily. Light weight compared to the glee.
Personally if I had the money id have both or either over anything else on the market.
The glee/wee would be far better for touring 2up, but riding solo the cb500x over long distance would be fine, luggage options should be typically comprehensive with a Honda product.
Styling is nice, I prefer the look compared to the very simular nc700x. But the 500 has less of the little details that get overlooked- like the differences betwee the vee and wee.
Finish is good, very good when you look at the price tag.
I test ride it as I fancied seeing what a bottom of the price range adventure style bike was like compared to something like the GS (rode one last year and hated it) the glee was tested recently, tigers didn't do it for me just sitting still and the other options fell short of my requirements. Well I was very surprised and put it this way... if I wanted an economical play thing that could be practical and do some touring (ICBM tours would be too fast for a 47bhp bike) I would have one. I left thinking was there a way I could sneak one past the mrs, hide it and afford to run 4 bikes.
Only real negative was the bloody screen was appalling,  but many hate the stock glee screen and options will soon be out to solve it.
For a smaller stature person the cb500 would be the predured bike, new riders will remain happy as the power2weight is good and hooligan fan can be easily had. The glee is physically bigger, taller and faster. if some offroad action is desired the cb has 17" front wheel but I'd be more likely to take a cb500x with their stock tyres offroad than a glee with trailwings.
Test ride will show its a practical, comfy little bike that's bags of fun with a good grab of the throttle.

Ride Coordinator

Offline stevee_p

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 20:32:34 »
Great write up Mr Diver, it's interesting hearing suchlike from a Strom owner who isn't massively biased.
2002 K2 DL1000

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 20:41:34 »
seriously... if the mrs gets her arse in gear and does her test and gets a big bike next year, I may get one and part ex the GZ125 for one.
But still keep the strom for 2up stuff and longer rides.

Ride Coordinator