Author Topic: Winter Shutdown Idea  (Read 4535 times)

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

Winter Shutdown Idea
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:48 »
hi all,

I was wondering what everyone thought about doing to their bikes when it comes to winter. It hasn't been something that I have worried about before as the last two bikes I've had I have ridden through winters no worries, but I'm seriously thinking that seeing as my Vee is the first 1000 I have owned and the first twin also and the fact I haven't had it all that long, that I should probably give it some tender loving care for a while. so heres my idea....

the bikes a 2002 DL1000 by the way , with 35,000 almost

when it comes to this bike I want to do a bit so this is what I'm going to do:

Oil change
Oil Filter
Spark plug
Chain and Sprockets
Rear brakes
Front brakes
front and rear wheel bearings
treat and paint any and all rust spots
wire in my front spots
fit my custom made off road footpeg inserts, (yet to make)
general clean and gunk up.

I think that is all I have on my list so far, but what if anything am I missing for the idea, I know I could keep the bike going all through the winter and do these jobs bit by bit as I go but I'm thinking I will treat the old girl to a bit of pampering and as its a fairly new bike to me I can get to know her a little more intimately.

I would love to do a carb sync, throttle body sync and tps check but I'm not sure if this is something I can do without getting in a pickle so any downloadables would be appreciated. just bought a adjuster long reach screwdriver for the job as someone suggested on here and I also got a twin carb syncing tool thing.   I was also looking into possibly doing the valve checks and shims but I feel this may be also a little out of my league unless others think differently.

I am really looking forward to the job of getting her naked and making her as close to new again as is possible after 11 years.

basically what I'm asking is what do you think I should do extra, and if you do suggest something could you let me have the details of what I will need I.e. gaskets and the like as I don't get paid much and will need to start buying it all now.

as always your knowledge exceeds mine so any and all suggestions will be listened to intently.

thanks in advance. :thumb:
'You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve'
"V are family"

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
Re: Winter Shutdown Idea
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:42:08 »
All sounds good to me and certainly better than sitting in front of the telly watching Eastenders and the like and losing the will to live. First thing to say is that "if it isn't broke don't fix it". Give the bike a good going over but why replace things that don't need it. Things like chain/sprockets, brake pads, wheel bearings and the like. If they're OK, clean them and put them back. Giving all the hidden bits a good clean will be a good idea, such as the brake caliper pistons and cylinders and maybe fit new seal kits if needed. Renew the hydraulic oil in the clutch and brake systems. Maybe fit a set of braided hoses on the front brakes. Well worth doing as it improves them noticeably. Take the front sprocket cover off and give everything inside a good clean.If you're really keen dismantle the rear suspension linkages and clean/re-grease them. Perhaps renew the front fork oil if it hasn't been done. The valve shims are fairly straight forward once you get the tank and bodywork off. The cams have to come out if any need changing but this is quite easy as the cam chains are not disturbed. You should be able to do this without needing new gaskets. The throttle butterflies are also quite straightforward if you have a balancer. There are lots of help guides on here and other Vstrom sites that go through all these jobs step by step that you'll find useful. Also worth pointing out is if buying replacement bits such as bearings and filters always get genuine (pricey!) or recognised branded parts. There's an awful lot of crap pattern parts on the internet that are very poor quality and will cost more in the long run. Have fun....

Offline frez

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:12:58 »
If you are not going to use it through the winter then put some fuel stabiliser in the tank, give it a thorough clean, acf50 any bits that you think maybe subject to corrosion, trickle charge the battery.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 14:03:00 »
cheers ,

all sounds like good advice, the reason I'm changing things that might not need it, is that I don't know when anything was done with this bike, the bloke that sold it to me took me for a bit of a mug as he blagged me with the "oh its how all twins feel" but then I found out on here that it was the  clutch basket, got that done by sharealike and its sound now but what else is possibly going on in there, and I know that I like to do these jobs so it seems worth it, especially seen as I love the bike and want to keep it a very long time. I think I want to do the carb sync and that as soon as possible and see how it rides before the winter break as it has been surging a little and hunting as they say, but this could also be down to chain,sprockets and cush rubbers, got the rear sprocket shim from Wales too, was planning on doing a bit of a rebirth for the thing. really want to get it running sweet as the girls a beast and goes like a dream under throttle and sounds great when off, its just the surging when coasting or feathering the throttle. but Hello she is 11 years old and I really don't know what sort of hammering she has had, although she looks good on the outside anything could be going on inside for her to be a little poorly. can't risk it getting worse so decided on the rework.

I've already got the bearings and cush rubbers, and the shim too like I say, so just need the consumables and I'm away, and the vacuum gauge will be with me in a couple of days too so I could have a go at that this weekend hopefully.

what else do I do before I go ahead with the rebirth.

cheers in advance.  :thumb:
"V are family"

Offline 2112

• Bike: Honda 750 Transalp, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:37:12 »
Quote from: "VSTROMDL1000RICK"
I was wondering what everyone thought about doing to their bikes when it comes to winter. :thumb:

Sling it in the garage with a full tank of fuel (with additive) on a trickle charger and wait till spring.

However, it's a great time to tinker and take on the bigger jobs. Mine will be getting an influx of stainless steel bolts and a few bits & bobs. Just don't bite off more than you can chew  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 10:24:28 »
yeah see now that's the thing, I know I can do it all if I follow instruction and my haynies. just need to clean out the garage , relocate all my tools to there proper place and get the clear plastic wallets and marker pen out for bits to go in, got a lot of hooks along both walls for parts to hang on for each side of the bike. that way I don't lose track of the bits and bobs and what side they came off.  
its a little bit of a worry to take engine bits apart but I managed the clutch mod disassembly and put all that back together, I just want the old girl to feel she has had some good bits and fresh parts so that it is at its highest point for the spring. that way I know that the mot in april will be slightly easier to take, not sure what to do with the mot bit as I haven't had to have one yet, always changed before due. so if something does go wrong it will only be small hopefully as its had the fix up over winter, that's the theory anyhow.

could someone post the link to wher I may find a tutorial on checking the valve clearances and the like please. I think I do want to try this one and then if I need to do anything at least I can get it done there and then.

thanks in advance
 :thumb:
"V are family"

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 11:05:54 »
My view of winter for the bike is a bit different.

In winter time you get some of the best riding days of the year, with clear skies and dry roads and almost no traffic at all on those roads which the tourists love in summer. You can spend an afternoon in Argyll and not be held up by traffic even for a few seconds. All you have to do is put the liners in your gear and wear a fleece. Oh, and take a warm hat for when you stop. Not forgetting the flask, of course!

The problem is you never know when those wonderful days will come. So I always have to keep the bike in good running order - tyre pressures have a way a sneaking downwards in a cold lockup - and be ready to go as each opportunity arises.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:34 »
+1, wholeheartedly. Winter riding is much better for all the reasons Fatbelly mentions. I've toured Scotland in February and its great, no traffic in the tourist heavy areas, dry roads, no rain. Winter riding is far better.

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 12:17:49 »
Oh believe me I would much rather be riding the girl, as I said I am very happy to ride through he winter months and totally agree that the roads are a lot less messy with tourists, especially here in the lake district. but I also know that the bike could do with a few things doing to it and I don't want to rush them. I like to be able to get the bike apart , set everything out and all marked up so I know it won't go wrong. take my time cleaning it all and then I know It'll be a while till its needed again, and that any issues will be spotted earlier than it becoming a problem that will cost me the earth.

I also have never owned a twin before and its my first 1000 as well, I was looking forward to getting to know her a little better and understanding all the noises she makes, I don't want to be one of these people that doesn't know enough and that when something goes wrong and someone says "did it make this noise before it happened" they say yes and it all could have been avoided. it may all seem a little uneccessary to some that I want to do this but its all experience gained as well. only been riding just over three years and I've made it this far but I want to keep this bike till I can afford the new 1000  :) .

my carb tune just arrived as well so its spurring me on to get down and dirty in the garage now.

I've also just made my prototype footpeg insert last night and its in the middle of drying in some clay to make a mould. hoping it will hold but I think I may need to rethink the way I cast it. making them out of polymorph at the moment so I can heat iti up and mold them and cut it to what I want. will think about putting it all on here seen as I've been taking pics but that's a bit off yet.

I appreciate all this advice though it is certainly getting me thinking about it all.

cheers  :grin:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 14:03:18 »
just a quick add on to this,

after reading quite a lot on here and the other vstrom site about tps,tbs and syncing and the like can someone please tell me the proper series to take so that I get the optimal fix out of these adjustments, I.e. which is best to do first and then what from there.

I seem to have managed to blind myself with it all and can't read for toffee now, they are right you know, a little knowledge is a bad thing. can't seem to decipher it all in my head now and I don't think my brain could take trawling through all my bookmarks to find the correct thread detailing it again.

thanks again and again and again  :shy:
"V are family"

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 14:20:58 »
Your Haynes manual should be able to walk you through throttle sync. I've never had to deal with TPSs whenever I've done syncs before but I've never done one on my Vstrom. TPS shouldn't affect throttle syncing.

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 15:44:59 »
thanks for that Jacko, appreciate it.

looking forward to getting the girl purring, well as well as she can anyway. I like the way she sounds and rides when I'm throwing her about, its also really great at eating up the wrynose pass we have over here, that's why I know she isn't terminal just laboured a little and in need of some pampering.

cheers  :)
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 13:46:25 »
well its official, couldn't wait till winter and talking just works about as well as farting when it comes to actually doing summit. so I have started stripping and cleaning and replacing.

then there was the front sprocket that's got less meat on it than a skeletons penis. think this may well of been on since the birth of time. ,  all the wheel bearings are changed and the rear carrier bearing too. got new chain and sprockets coming but will have to clean this out first before getting them on. , still its all good fun and gets me knowing the thing a little better.
"V are family"

Offline mjc506

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 13:49:12 »
Quote from: "VSTROMDL1000RICK"
well its official, couldn't wait till winter and talking just works about as well as farting when it comes to actually doing summit. so I have started stripping and cleaning and replacing.

then there was the front sprocket that's got less meat on it than a skeletons penis. think this may well of been on since the birth of time. ,  all the wheel bearings are changed and the rear carrier bearing too. got new chain and sprockets coming but will have to clean this out first before getting them on. , still its all good fun and gets me knowing the thing a little better.

Fixed those pictures for you :)

Looks like the good work's paying off already :)
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 13:57:01 »
thanks for that, its appreciated, what exactly did I do wrong cause I thought I followed the instructions on the other page to the letter as I have three screens at work so read on one as I was doing it on another. not brilliant at this at the best of times but really thought id managed that  :shy:

and yes the work is paying off, this thing needs to be cleaned and cared for as its really got some build up in places, haven't had her long but I'm pretty sure its all original. which either says someone did a lot of exterior cleaning and adjustment and its just kept going or they purely didn't give a fluck. either way this thing is Going to feel great once I've gone through with a fine tooth comb.   :lala:
"V are family"

Offline mjc506

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 14:02:50 »
Dropbox can be a pain.

In the 'img' tags, replace part of the link to the pictures:

Code: [Select]
https://www
becomes

Code: [Select]
http://dl
Simples :)

The front sprocket is most likely original (most replacements come without the rubber buffer thingy, and the wear is... well...) but it's depressing how quickly crud builds up under the clutch cover.
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 14:09:00 »
thanks for that, if all is well this next picture should be of one of the prototype footpeg inserts I've made. .

lets see...
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 14:10:45 »
arghhhhhh forgot the " : "

try again lol

pleeeeaaassseeee :bawl:
"V are family"

Offline VStromDL1000Rick