Author Topic: Another GPS question  (Read 4513 times)

Offline temporaryescapee

Another GPS question
« on: August 22, 2013, 22:32:26 »
I'm off to France and Spain in two weeks and have decided (subject to your responses) to try and use GPS for the first time.  I have read the recent Sat Nav thread but its going a bit over my head to be honest so I am hoping someone can give me some basic pointers.

The fixed points are:
1.  I have an iPhone 5 and a 2 year old car Tom Tom with European maps on it - I want to use one of these rather than purchase anything new
2.  I have looked at the kits on the Ultimate Mobiles thread but don't really understand the differences, for example regarding the type of charger or range of mounting options.  My bike is stock and I deeply impractical.  Whilst I could wire something to the battery terminals (like my optimate charger point) cutting into wires, earthing etc are beyond my understanding and all I know about a relay is that it involves 4 people, a baton and probable uk disqualification
3.  I know the route I want to use and have this in google maps at the moment - it follows specific recommended routes (e.g. Best biking roads) so I need to be able to programme my GPS in advance somehow

My questions are:
1.  iPhone or Tom Tom?
2.  Which mounting kit and why?
3.  How do I build my route and get it onto my GPS?

Be very grateful for a steer from someone patient!

Cheers
Andy

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Another GPS question
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 22:45:11 »
Look into 'tyre', it's a utility that uses google maps and transfers routes and itineraries to your tomtom, it has to support itineraries though.

I've just bought the full Europe HD Premium version of Copilot, a Sat Nav app that works very well with my iPhone 5.

As far as power goes just wire up a cig lighter socket, with some way of turning it off, to the battery. I have an Optimate lead on my batteries so I just bought their compatible cig lighter socket and unplug it when I'm not using it. This way you can use the tomtoms car charger or get a USB car charger for your iPhone. Amazon have a couple of good, apple compatible ones (Apple stuff draws more current) for around £7, don't be tempted by the cheaper ones, they're rubbish.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: Another GPS question
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 23:05:22 »
That iphone case looks like 1 solution - just remeber IPX4 is 'splash-proof' (ie can withstand some rain), and if you feel safe with your 500 quid phone on the bars.

Just an idea, but to use your tom-tom, maybe wire up a car cig lighter direct from your battery, keep it taped and cable-tied in your fairing at the front of the bike for power? Or one of these to fit to your bars http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Mo ... 5af44b96cf

Or use your optimate cable with ajackos adaptor (I think chainspeed do them)

Get (say) a bag from Hein-Gericke like THIS. It has two strong velcro flaps which wrap around a bar, so you could get one of THESE to keep your satnav above the clocks (looks like it should fasten to the screen mounting holes...) Again, it all comes to 40 or 50 quid, depends which navigation system you feel most 'sorted' and happy with...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline geekay

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 23:16:19 »
There's a thread on this where I and a couple of others have shared our solutions. Have a search for my posts it's there somewhere.

Offline geekay

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 23:18:50 »
Oh actually, that might be the thread you meant. Sorry.

For power I bought an "ultimate addons adapter" from eBay. Switched and fused its as easy to fit as the optimists lead - I.e. a direct battery connection. Easy done, honestly. I'd do the same again with your Tom Tom plus a case to hold it. I went for givi, but it was quite expensive. Mount on the bars is easy and the power easy also and then your sorted!

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 23:23:25 »
2 weeks is too short a time to learn how to use a GPS and will probably take the enjoyment away from the ride if you stuff up the routing.  Most car GPS can do a route between 2 places, but depending on the model, cannot accept more than one route, you need a dedicated GPS for something like that.  Downloading the routes from BBR is a good idea, but you have left yourself too short a time to get it set up right, I know cos it took me ages to do mine before leaving oz last year.

It sounds like the only knowledge about wiring is to directly attach a USB charger to the battery terminals, this is probably OK but not waterproof, so not ideal, plus you would need a mount that is in your eyeline area for safe riding.  Plus your TomTom is not waterproof either.  It sounds like you should buy and get installed a dedicated GPS designed for a bike and learn it in two weeks. which will probably not happen.

If you have already sorted out the routing in google maps, then print out the turn by turn directions and take them with you(you will only need actual turns and distances to next town).  Depending on how many routes you use then that will determine the paper load, but you can dispose of the used as you go.

Take the iPhone as backup with a European data card. so you can navigate your way OUT of your geographically challenged location, if it should happen

Cheers
TS
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 08:03:26 »
Thanks that's really helpful.

I will have a more detailed look tonight but think I will go with one of the 12v socket options - probably either the optimate or bar mounted one.  What's the right way to route the cable from the front to the back of the bike?

I'll then look at the Tyre software and decide from there Tom Tom or iPhone.  Terrible thing to admit perhaps but I'm not overly worried about the iphone, which is a work phone.  I work hard (I'm only getting to do this trip because I had to work 6 of my 10 days summer holiday so have holiday to use up) and the firm are doing well so the financial 'what if' is not such a concern.  Crashing and having no phone to call for help on the other hand......

Once that's decided I'll look at those mounting options - that case looks a good shout if I go Tom Tom

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:24:29 »
Also check out Ride's website, they have downloadable satnav pre-planned routes for Europe and you may find something interesting there.

I used a car TomTom, handlebar bracket + case and a 12 volt cigarette socket mounted behind the fairing clutch side. I simply fed the TomTom wire through the clutch cable bracket to keep it out of the way.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:09 »
Personally having all the eggs in one basket is not an option I prefer. So separate phone and nav system. My phone has Sygic navigation software on, so would be good for A - B if the main GPS fails, and the wife has a phone so that's that backed up   :)

Having spoken instructions is very useful, especially in town, but not essential, as we navigated before GPSs, admittedly with a bit more luck than judgement at times.

In your case I'd take the TomTom and use it to get you to the hotel / campsite each night after the days run. But, if you want to go somewhere put that in as the destination. The best way to learn how to use a GPS is when you don't need it, for example on the daily commute, so you can get used to how it works / what happens if you go off the route it would like you to take.

Please, please  remember the GPS gives advice on what it thinks is best, it may not know about a new road, river, building site etc etc.

Offline G2ADY

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 20:58:14 »
Hi Andy,

I started a thread last week on the same subject. Since then I've done a bit of experimenting. I've figured out that Google maps will run on the iphone with the display off, this helps to conserve battery. I then just put the phone in my jacket pocket and popped my headphones in to listen to turn by turn directions. It worked a treat. I've just bought a 12volt socket to solve the power problem.

I'll perhaps then buy a waterproof holder and use Navfree on the phone as I've found the directions to be fabulous.

Offline Jacko

Another GPS question
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:25 »
The trouble with Google maps is you can't alter your route, it's just what it thinks best with some, at times, equally unsuitable alternatives. It'll send you an extra 40 miles out of your way on motorways to save you 1 minute.

This is a pic of my altered route for today on Copilot.

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 09:07:33 »
Google maps is no use unless you have foreign data on your phone and are willing to pay

I have used various phones with various Sat Nav apps
I always look for one with 'offline' maps - I.e. maps stored on phone and no need for data connection

Currently just got Copilot for my Android phone
Will see how it works in 2 weeks!

As far as seeing the satnav - so far I haven't mounted any of them
I have put them in the see through map bit of my tank bag (which involves looking down whilst riding and is hard to see with reflections etc. ) but mostly for safety, used the spoken instructions via bluetooth and a Sena headset
(problem here is Sena is very expensive for a solution)

I usually only use the Sat Nav when trying to find an end location e.g. hostel or campsite
or trying to find the right exit near a big city on the loop road.

Other than that use the map - France is easy for map reading.

hope that helps
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:42 »
OK I've done some reading around now and had a play with Tyre.

Power:  I've got down the Optimate route and ordered this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002GDY2OY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1; good shout Andy

I am not sure how long the cable length is (nothing on the optimate site I could see), but will get an extension if necessary

Sat Nav:  I have a TomTom Start 20 with European maps.  I've checked and it does not have an itinerary function so I can't load maps from Tyre.  However it can take up to 5 waypoints which, for my immediate trip, will be fine to get me onto the roads I need each day/part day.  As its a system I know that feels low hassle.

I considered getting TomTom or copilot on the iPhone and may well do this for my next big trip but the additional cost was not justified by my need for this trip.  

Sat Nav holder:  I've gone for this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003FMUP0K/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I very nearly went for the HG one Gassoon but instinctively felt more comfortable with something clipped on rather than attached with Velcro straps (although I am sure they will be fine).  I suspect I will go for that raised mounting arm though.

As ever I really appreciate the input from your all - I love his site!

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 13:32:29 »
Have now ordered the mounting bar Gassoon recommended too.  Having looked at my bike I would like to bolt the metal bracket to the spare hole in the screen mount as suggested.  What's the right way to do this - bolt and a couple of metal washers, or a rubber washers too to manage vibration?

Offline Jacko

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 23:53:32 »
Tomtoms easy (idiot) front end can be altered to allow itineries. I have an XL, I wanted itineries but it only come with big idiot buttons on screen as part of the original OS. However, some brief Google work threw up a custom menu folder which you can place in the units hard drive (easier than it sounds if you're a bit of a technophobe, they come with step by step instruction and if you're not happy you can just remove the folder and it reverts back to its original state). Anyway, the result is my XL now accepts itineries, and has extra function too, TomTom dumb the interface down to sell more units, you have to dig to get the best from their hardware.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 06:40:26 »
Thanks - I'll have a look at this.  I was able to create my route using a couple of waypoints so hopefully we are all set.

Offline geekay

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:05 »
That's interesting to know about the tomtom. I'll have to look into that.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 09:22:02 »
This is where I found the info for my XL:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/how ... enu.22302/

The link in that first post takes you to step by step instructions on how to create the folder and how to get it on your tomtom, it's all copy/paste and drag and drop. I placed it at the top of the folder list within my tomtom as putting it at the bottom didn't seem to work the first time.

The new front end with itineraries works properly with Tyre, good to go.

As I said, if you're not happy you can just delete the folder from the Tomtom and restart it and it's all back to normal.

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:27 »
My bits arrived last night - here's where I got to

Power: the Optimate plug is good, but the lead is too short.  I did lift the tank to see if I could route the cable to mount the socket next to the ignition barrel but given the cable length and the fact I had absolutely no idea how to route the cable I mounted the socket on the crash bar, routing the cable behind the side panel back to to battery.  Be interested in your thoughts on this - longer term I will get a socket with a longer lead and get my local garage to fit it at the next service when the tank is off, but hopefully this will do me for now.

Sat Nav mount:  there was not enough clearance to fit the mounting bracket directly to the free bolt hole in screen mount.  I therefore fitted a bar and mounted the Sat Nav bracket to that.  I've not ridden it yet - feels like it may get a few vibes bill will hopefully be OK for my needs

I haven't decided the best way to get the cable from the Sat Nav to socket yet.

Thanks for the pointers - really helpful.

Cheers
Andy