Author Topic: Would you buy a bike without a test ride?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Woogie

Would you buy a bike without a test ride?
« on: August 19, 2013, 15:06:04 »
Been trying to get as many opinions as possible on this and so far its a very mixed bag of responses.

I went to view 2 Vstroms at the weekend, One in Sheffield (Sheffield Motorcycle Center) and One in Derby (East Midlands Superbike)

Now the bikes are as follows

Sheffield
Black 2011 plate with 5k miles. Looks to be in immaculate condition but has no extras apart from handguards and engine bars. Rode wonderfully apart from a slightly niggly little buzzing at certain rev ranges and speeds coming from the front end (sounded like the fairings) and I wasn't sure if this was normal or not but I guess I could live with it.
Price £4300

Derby
White 2009 plate with 9.5k miles. Looks to be immaculate condition as well (I have this bike a real going over) and had plenty of extras, Bar ends, Oxford Hot Grips, engine bars, Exhaust protector, Skid Plate/Sump Guard, Center stand, Light protectors, Handguards etc etc... But here's the kicker No test ride (They do not allow it without full cost of bike up front) and bike wouldn't start due to someone leaving the heated grips on.
Price £4250

Now I really want the one from Derby as it just looks better, Has more toys and appears to be in very good condition. It was last taxed in March so has essentially sat since then and they aren't really willing to budge on the cost of the bike (Negotiated them down £50 due to it having no tax yet wouldn't budge further) and it comes with 3 months warranty (not including wear and tear), will receive 12 months MOT and a full check/service before leaving and also has a 14 day 100 mile return policy.

The blokes in Sheffield were very eager to sell the bike and have offered to get a Center stand fitted and Oxford Hotgrips installed at a cost of £400 (so they say and probably isn't far off) for an additional £150 me but will not go any lower on the price but being reaistic, My budget was already stretched at £4300.

Any ideas? Would you buy the white one given the choice or would you go for the black? Or even walk away completely.

I have noticed there are Several bikes for sale here on the site yet unfortunately the 2 I found seem to be a tad far away (Scarborough and Fife)

Thanks

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Would you buy a bike without a test ride?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 15:17:33 »
I would go for the black one.

Despite a near identical price, the white one is twice as old, with twice the mileage and they don't seem to want you to ride it. The extras on the white one can be bought later and you probably wouldn't go for them all anyway.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Woogie

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 15:24:06 »
I don't think it is them not wanting me to ride that particular bike but they do not like test rides without full cost of bike, Id imagine its due to things being stolen.

Out of curiosity, What makes you believe I would not use the extras? Guess I should include that I will be doing 73ish mile a day on the bike commuting to and from work (Luton to London) and will ride all year round.

Offline iansoady

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 15:32:41 »
Short answer is absolutely not.

When I was looking for mine, I tried 2 (the second being the one I bought). The first was one that I told the dealer I was probably unlikely to buy as it was newer / more than I wanted to pay but he was still perfectly happy for me to ride off on it.

They both sound a bit pricy to me. And shouldn't the hot grips be powered via an ignition-switched relay to stop the battery going flat?

No way I'd consider the white one.

When I was looking for mine I drew up a spreadsheet with all the details so I could compare them properly and I was surprised at the variations in price for similar bikes.
Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline Woogie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 15:36:16 »
Quote from: "iansoady"

They both sound a bit pricy to me.

I thought the same but have been unable to find one for less than this within a reasonable (40/60 mile) distance from Luton, Birmingham or Nottingham

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 15:55:21 »
No. I've walked away from potential purchases because of no test ride. Why would a dealer do that if he wanted to sell the bike? Imagine what an arse he's going to be to deal with if you do buy the bike. No test ride no purchase.

Offline iansoady

Ian.
2005 DL650
1931 Sunbeam Model 10

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 16:36:02 »
Quote from: "Woogie"
Out of curiosity, What makes you believe I would not use the extras?
For an all year commuter, I guess you would use the Oxford Hot Grips, Centre Stand and Handguards and that you might prefer the "insurance policy" of the Engine Bars.

However, if you were "building" your bike from scratch, just to use on the road, would you really bother with the Exhaust protector, Skid Plate/Sump Guard and Light protectors?

Surely the Bar Ends are standard equipment (unless you mean something specific).
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Woogie

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 18:41:47 »
Quote from: "iansoady"
Have you tried ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL-650 ... 417609fcbc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DL650- ... 3cd487f2ec

That second one looks super if a little old.

Or even autotrader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used ... ascdefault

For some reason I have a fear of even contemplating buying anything off of Ebay that costs more than £100 lol.... Should try and get over it as I may find myself a bargain. I'm also a tad apprehensive of buying anything with more than 20k miles on the clock as I'll be adding 18k a year myself

Quote from: "MartinW"
For an all year commuter, I guess you would use the Oxford Hot Grips, Centre Stand and Handguards and that you might prefer the "insurance policy" of the Engine Bars.

However, if you were "building" your bike from scratch, just to use on the road, would you really bother with the Exhaust protector, Skid Plate/Sump Guard and Light protectors?

Surely the Bar Ends are standard equipment (unless you mean something specific).

If I was building my own I would want to pay significantly less than £4,000 if possible. I didn't mean to add bar ends because of course they are standard equipment...... silly me :( I would however bother with the Sump guard as on my Er6-f late last year I hit a stone (it was fairly large so my own fault really) that shot up and knocked a gaping hole in the bottom of my exhaust where it meets the engine, Thankfully bike was still under warranty and they fixed it even though they didn't have to.

Offline chalky

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 18:50:58 »
check out this one, comes with all the bells and whistles even givi trekkers as well!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Suzuki-D ... 417575ef2d

sorry didn't see it was sold.
SUZUK DL650 2005, KAWASAKI KDX 200 1998, Honda C110 1963, Honda CD90Z 1972

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Would you buy a bike without a test ride?
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 19:40:21 »
Buying a bike off eBay is just like buying any bike through private sale, go and see it, talk to the owner, see where it's kept etc. It's no different from buying from MCN classifieds.

Just don't buy anything without checking it out in person and doing an hpi check, precautions you should be taking with all private sales. eBay is just another online classified section.

Offline geekay

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 20:00:52 »
Agree on ebay comment - its just another classified ad and ebay is probably now the 2nd largest (after auto trader) advertising area for classified bike and car sales. same rules apply.

Also - the two you have mentioned - I wouldn't pay that for an 09 model - twice the - it feels really quite overpriced.

for reference, I bought my 2011 'GT' ABS model with heated grips, hard luggage (Suzuki genuine) and top box, centre stand and hand grips with 5000 miles for just under £4k in July. That was from a dealer and was a no trade-in, cash deal.

Offline adst

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 20:06:02 »
Just go for it .. I only sat on the glee in a showroom for 5 mins ...
As for eBay .. has taken me in some great directions ...just enjoy the ride ...if it isn't liked after awhile ...chop it back in .... Cheaper than being alcoholic ? ...enjoy
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline greywolf

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 20:26:19 »
I bought all my V-Stroms new and there were no test rides available. I relied on reviews but read many of those first. I would need a test ride on a used bike unless I knew both bike model and owner.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Kells

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 20:52:25 »
For another grand wheels in peterbourgh are selling pre reg new for £5250 - £5500 or were last week and low finance check out their web site, or hang on another month and you might with the new reg coming out dealers will want to move stock and drop their prices. Just an Idea.
Good luck which way you go

Kells

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 21:59:36 »
Like that black one with the 1500 miles on it on eBay. I know it's dodgy to have mileage that low on an older bike, but it looks absolutely mint and not even properly loosened up. £3000 for it, spend another £800 on an oil chain, iridium plugs, heated grips, a mudguard extender, a Madstad bracket, bar muffs (for deep winter), crash bars, a centre stand, a PD Oiler Mini and a big top box and you'll still be quids in with a very well kitted all weather commuting machine. You don't even need to buy all those things at the same time.

Edit: BTW, it's not a Touring model as the advert says. The touring model has a different rear luggage rack, a Suzuki top box, heated grips and a centre stand. You can always use the info to get them to drop the price a £100 or so.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 22:08:40 »
Yes that black one (if you don't mind buying older) with 1500 miles looks good . I know the dealer as I lived in that area for many years . They are fair people to deal with . I'd walk in with £2750 and take my chance .

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 22:20:08 »
This ones still in the for sale sect and looks a fair buy , could be worth a phone call and meet half way to do the deal ... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19292

Had my 2nd Wee off a bloke in Leeds , he rode it down to me and I paid his train fare home ..

Offline pad

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 00:40:01 »

Offline Woogie

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 06:27:27 »
Quote from: "Locky"
Yes that black one (if you don't mind buying older) with 1500 miles looks good . I know the dealer as I lived in that area for many years . They are fair people to deal with . I'd walk in with £2750 and take my chance .

I may do just that, not far from there this weekend as I am at a lan in Telford from Thursday till Monday next

Quote from: "Locky"
This ones still in the for sale sect and looks a fair buy , could be worth a phone call and meet half way to do the deal ... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19292

Had my 2nd Wee off a bloke in Leeds , he rode it down to me and I paid his train fare home ..

Hmmmmmmm I'll drop him a message as I looked a both this one and the one in Scarborough before signing up to the forum

Quote from: "pad"
http://www.thebikeshop.co.uk/search_page.php?make=76&model=2129&price=

Not that far away?

I saw this one last week on auto trader, gave them a call to arrange a test ride and was told they didn't do them and suggested I buy the bike and then take it out for a ride. If I didn't like it I was more than welcome to return in within a few hours and get my money back. I said no thanks

Edit: Actually looking at the advert again it may have been a different one. Although that is pushing the limit of my budget and my girlfriends happiness to near breaking point.