Author Topic: iPhone / Sat Nav / Bluetooth Suggestions  (Read 3859 times)

Offline G2ADY

iPhone / Sat Nav / Bluetooth Suggestions
« on: August 09, 2013, 21:49:40 »
Hello all,

Having recently purchased a Glee I'm keen on finding a solution for Sat Nav, In addition I wouldn't mind bluetooth intercom between me and passenger. I've had a TomTom Rider on a previous bike with a Scala headset that worked OK but that was a few years ago and seeing as phone and bluetooth technology has moved on I was wondering if anyone has come up with a cheaper solution utilising an iPhone?

I'm happy to wire a 12v socket in to charge the iphone but I would want it to be in a waterproof casing too.

Is there a magic box out there that will do everything I want with an iPhone or alternatively is there an intercom/ satnav device that you could recommend?

Cheers
Steve

Offline TravellingStrom

Re: iPhone / Sat Nav / Bluetooth Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 22:04:00 »
Personally I would not be using the iPhone. Mainly due to battery and heat issues

The iPhone battery gets chewed up real fast, as you probably know, so using it with the screen on map all the time would probably get you an hour or so. Then it would need charging. If you wire it to a charger constantly that is OK, but then you have the heat issue which would get quite high if it is charging and being used. Being in a waterproof case is going to exacerbate the heat issue.

I also had the TTR2 which was ideal for comms and mapping but it was not robust enough for me

I have not done any study on the newer items as I have been travelling, so I will leave suggestions to others. Mind you, do some research on the Zumo 660 as they are designed for bikes and do comms

Bluetooth headsets, I use the Camos BT 200 system, but for music only, one of the only true stereo systems around when I bought. Of course it does intercom and phone hookup as well, they have newer versions now

Cheers
TravellingStrom
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline G2ADY

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 22:10:46 »
Quote from: "TravellingStrom"
Personally I would not be using the iPhone. Mainly due to battery and heat issues

The iPhone battery gets chewed up real fast, as you probably know, so using it with the screen on map all the time would probably get you an hour or so. Then it would need charging. If you wire it to a charger constantly that is OK, but then you have the heat issue which would get quite high if it is charging and being used. Being in a waterproof case is going to exacerbate the heat issue.

That's a really good point, I hadn't considered the heat issue

Offline pauljobr

• Bike: DL650 X L0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 09:48:35 »
Hi there,
I went through the same sort choice as yourself and decided that as I had an iphone it made sense to try and use it. So I bought something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-with-Apple-iPhone-4-Tough-Case-and-Hardwire-Charger-Kit-/160697721869?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item256a54a40d
This keeps the phone waterproof and powered and I have suffered no heat issues as the phone case is air cooled as you are riding. There are some free Sat Nav apps you can download but I opted for the TomTom as I had had a physical one before and was comfortable with it, it did cost me £45 when I bought it but have had so much fun with it it is worth it for me.
I then also have one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Aux-RCA-HiFi-AMP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver-Dongle-A2DP-For-iPhone-Galaxy-HTC-/251308127969?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3a8321b6e1
I found some JVC earphones which fit my ears nicely and act as a good noise protection and of course I can now listen to music and Sat Nav on my journey. The receiver is supposed to be good for about 8hrs of music use and I have had over 5 out of it without any worries.
If you want two way comms with the phone or another rider you could have one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800m-bluetooth-Headset-interphone-BT-motorcycle-Motorbike-helmet-intercom-UK-/390639199420?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5af3e924bc

The only thing I will say is the TomTom app is very good for getting me from a to b and with winding roads option I have had some fantastic runs, finding new roads that are worth revisiting, but if you want a Sat Nav for detailed planning of a long route then a dedicated unit would be best.

Paul

Offline Hyde End

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:00 »
Hi

don't use an I phone, but I do use the following

Intercom/using phone - Scala Teamset
Phone - Old samsung SGH G600
Sat Nav - Garmin Zumo 660

All seem to work with each other OK, phone and intercom headset connected via Sat Nav.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:33 »
You can get good apps for phones nowadays, it's much improved since a year or two ago. As said above, it's a matter of whether you want to plan your own routes and load them to you satnav or not. Most satnavs do the same things, they get you from A to B via fastest/shortest route. But not all of them can link to a Bluetooth headset, have routes uploaded, play music, make you a cuppa, etc. Best have a look around at the various features, make a list of what you "need" and a list of what you "want" and decide which satnav is best for it, then decide if you can afford it :)

I love my Garmin Zumo 220, I don't use the Bluetooth (even though I've tested it and it works well), I just look at the screen when I need to (important to have it mounted above the clocks for this, the bars are just too low.) I use it in the car, on both bikes, when I go walking and I can use it while cycling and off road too. It has profiles for each of these uses so you can have different settings for each. For example, when motorcycling I usually have it avoid motorways, mute the sound and turn the brightness up. When in the car the brightness can be down, the volume on so I can hear the lady and it can use motorways. If I had more money I'd probably buy a Zumo with a bigger screen, but that was a "want" and not a "need" and now that I have the smaller screen I'm glad because when you walk with it in your hand it's not too big. I use Tyre to load routes to it, being able to load "routes" was a need and the main reason why I didn't use a phone app or a car satnav (which I already had.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 10:07:18 »
I'm planning on using the missus' TomTom One - it doesn't have Bluetooth however if I move it from off the handlebars to above the clocks it should be fairly easy to follow.

On that note, does anyone know the SW-Motech part no for mounting the satnav above the clocks? I've emailed Motohaus twice now but not had a reply...  (the one's on their website suggest they mount on the handlebars).

Offline geekay

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 20:19:45 »
I've just hooked up my car sat-nav using a Givi case - it works very well and looks the part.

It's a Givi S953 case like this one (I got it from ghostbikes too as that is close to me)
http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/8525-givi-gps-and-smartphone-holder-4.3-(s953).html

It comes with a mount that you put on the bars and it then adjusts - its reasonably well put together - the plastic seems like it will brittle at first, but actually it is quite tough and I neednt have worried - here's where the mount is:

I ran a hard wire kit to power it - using an "ultimate add-ons" kit, which is a switched, fused direct-to-batter connection with the elctronics hidden under the seat and provided me with a waterproof power socket in the cockpit area.

And here's a picture of the sat-nav in place on the centre of the bike - it fits very well between my little tank-bag and doesn't obscure the clocks - although you do have to 'look down" to see it.

Offline geekay

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 20:21:31 »
note - if I could fabricate a mount into the base of the screen I'd move it there and I think that would be ideal. I'll look at what I can put together I think.

Offline G2ADY

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 23:28:51 »
That looks a great setup, some good ideas coming out here too. I'm torn really, I looked at the Scala q1 today at J&S in Northwich but it's £200. I'm certain I can utilise the iphone with a vented case and power supply and a bluetooth headset

Offline Keith Cross

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 23:52:01 »
If you can find them (they haven't been made for a while) Sony HBH-DS970 headsets work well.  The advantage of these is that the microphone is in one of the leads so can be put next to your mouth in your crash helmet.  Other types have the mic in the unit which makes it difficult when wearing a crash helmet

Keith C
2013 Aprilia Caponord 1200 with travel pack
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro in Yellow
2006 Vstrom DL1000GT
1990 Honda GL1500
1981 Goldwing Interstate
1966 Triumph 3TA

Offline TravellingStrom

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 01:52:54 »
I just looked at the iPhone bike mount kit from that link above

It looks OK. The only issue I have is the mounting on handlebars, it is too low meaning your eyes are away from the road ahead

I would try and mount this at eye level, maybe with an extender arm or a better choice would be a dash mount. There are a few out there, I use the Pat Walsh dash

Of course using the dash means it will be further away, so I guess position the phone before buying anything and see if the screen is readable, it should be, but it will also depend on which mapping program you use
Keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out

Cheers
TravellingStrom
http://www.travellingstrom.com
http://www.richardstravelshops.com

Offline Gasman1975

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:14:20 »
I've got the ultimate mobiles waterproof iphone 5 kit which included the charger, iphone 5 adaptor and case. I've been pretty happy with it and like others have had no problems with the heat.

As for getting it above the clocks, being an ex gas engineer I got a piece of 22mm copper tube that was long enough to go between the spare 2 holes behind the screen, crimped the ends flat and drilled a hole each end to match those on the bike. 2 bolts and nyloc nuts each end and the pipe is secure. I've currently wrapped the pipe in black duct tape and it blends in really well. As its 22mm it takes the ram mount connections and holds my iphone case and my ram mount can holder.
Andy

Stressed spelt backwards is desserts so its no wonder I eat when fed up

Proud owner of 08 Wee, an 03 Triumph Speedmaster & a 1991 GL1500 Goldwing Interstate

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:17:11 »
Got a photo of that Gasman?
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:29 »
The only issue I have is the mounting on handlebars, it is too low meaning your eyes are away from the road ahead
I added a  bar to the back of my screen to fasten things to

Offline geekay

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 13:00:05 »
Quote from: "kodkod"
The only issue I have is the mounting on handlebars, it is too low meaning your eyes are away from the road ahead
I added a  bar to the back of my screen to fasten things to

how did you do that? - I've been thinking about this - that would be an ideal location for the Givi mount I have shown above - I've been thinking of aluminium strips down behind the screen mounting bracket and a bar across the top of some sort - possibly electrical conduit or similar.

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 13:03:06 »
quite easy really, a couple of strips of 2mm flat stainless and a piecese of stainless tube. I'll post a pick when I get home

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 13:19:13 »
If you can't or don't want fabricate something Touratech do a cracking bar/shelf that looks the part, as long as you can suffer the £30 price tag! Can post a pic if anyone wants to see what it looks like

Offline geekay

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 13:25:57 »
Quote from: "kodkod"
quite easy really, a couple of strips of 2mm flat stainless and a piecese of stainless tube. I'll post a pick when I get home

thanks - this is the sort of thing I was thinking of although I was looking at aluminium strip and tube as it is cheaper and lighter, although I wonder if the strips might be flexible and therefore make the Sat Nav unit vibrate / shake - not sure if stainless would be any better though.

Offline geekay

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 13:32:12 »
Quote from: "Yoyo"
If you can't or don't want fabricate something Touratech do a cracking bar/shelf that looks the part, as long as you can suffer the £30 price tag! Can post a pic if anyone wants to see what it looks like

one of these:
http://shop.touratech.co.uk/navigation/gps-accessories/mounting-adapters-for-mounts.html?limit=96

Nice - but similar to what I have in my head to make - plus I can't find anyone selling them other than that site and it says it will ship in 10-14 days - too late!